Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2017, 10:35:05 AM
Well fortunately there will be hundreds of millions available for the NHS in a couple years.

Also judging by the Leaver sentiment during the campaign, I strongly suspect the British Empire never went away, and is in fact waiting intact behind the UK's EU membership, to instantly resurface and solve all possible problems.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2017, 07:14:16 PM

Well let's imagine that we took the United States and cancelled everything we had done since 1977. Seems kind of like a clusterfuck to me.

Hmm.  I'm sure there are other things, but off the top of my head, the only Federal legislation since then that I'd really miss would the repeal of the national 55 MPH speed limit.

The Brain

Everyone can drive 55.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Even Sammy Hagar?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

The Brexit talks finally begin tomorrow. I still expect them to fail.

The EU has already stated that every deal will be a bad deal anyway and has little appetite to compromise on anything. Showing a hard edge towards Britain will discourage others.

The UK will find it easier to one more time blame Eurocrats instead of acknowledging that their promises are impossible to keep. Furthermore a breakdown of talks will give the Tories the pretext for domestic policies they favor such as deregulation, lower corporate taxes and gutting the NHS and public administration through further austerity.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on June 18, 2017, 12:58:57 PM

The EU has already stated that every deal will be a bad deal anyway and has little appetite to compromise on anything. Showing a hard edge towards Britain will discourage others.

The UK will find it easier to one more time blame Eurocrats instead of acknowledging that their promises are impossible to keep. Furthermore a breakdown of talks will give the Tories the pretext for domestic policies they favor such as deregulation, lower corporate taxes and gutting the NHS and public administration through further austerity.

Just have to hope Europe looks towards the well being of the people involved and believes that rather than warning others from leaving it should be encouraging the UK not to leave.
The EU need to position themselves as the good guys against the agent of change going against what most of their own people want Tories.
I'm cautiously optimistic.
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2017, 01:13:56 PM

Just have to hope Europe looks towards the well being of the people involved and believes that rather than warning others from leaving it should be encouraging the UK not to leave.

That boat has sailed. The UK has voted twice on Brexit in the last year and both times the Leavers won. You're out.

QuoteThe EU need to position themselves as the good guys against the agent of change going against what most of their own people want Tories.
I'm cautiously optimistic.

It's not about good or evil. It's a negotiation and whoever has the best hand must to play it to win.

The one thing above all else is ensuring the needs of those of us who live among you, and those of you who live among us.

PS. I think there won't be an agreement.

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on June 18, 2017, 01:58:55 PM
It's not about good or evil. It's a negotiation and whoever has the best hand must to play it to win.

The one thing above all else is ensuring the needs of those of us who live among you, and those of you who live among us.

PS. I think there won't be an agreement.

I agree.  This isn't about negotiating what is good for the people, it is about bureaucratic and electoral politics on both sides.  The leadership on both sides would rather have a bad/no deal that makes them look good than a good deal that makes them look bad. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2017, 02:28:33 PM
The leadership on both sides would rather have a bad/no deal that makes them look good than a good deal that makes them look bad.

This is very true, and the reason why we are all fucked.

Josquius

That boat has sailed. The UK has voted twice on Brexit in the last year and both times the Leavers won. You're out.

Twice?
:unsure:

Really don't agree that boat has sailed.
Even if Britain has to leave and come back again it still looks likely Britain's future is with europe.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2017, 06:45:37 PM

Twice?

Really don't agree that boat has sailed.
Even if Britain has to leave and come back again it still looks likely Britain's future is with europe.

Can you imagine the upheaval if we cancelled Brexit and stayed? What needs to be done is a Norway kind of deal, so the Kippers have less munition to attack reasonable things, while the UK can keep the benefits of the EU membership.

Would be best for the EU as well, as they could continue on the road of further integration without Britain flippin' out at every small thought of it.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2017, 02:23:23 AM

Can you imagine the upheaval if we cancelled Brexit and stayed? What needs to be done is a Norway kind of deal, so the Kippers have less munition to attack reasonable things, while the UK can keep the benefits of the EU membership.

Would be best for the EU as well, as they could continue on the road of further integration without Britain flippin' out at every small thought of it.

The road to further integration will be much easier without the UK in any form, given Britain flippin' out at every small thought of it.

Tamas

Well yeah what I meant was that despite what Macron and others are saying, I think a lot of EU leaders would be far happier with the UK out, than in.

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2017, 06:45:37 PM
Twice?

You think you'd be leaving the EU if the LibDems had a mandate in Parliament now?