Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Valmy

Quote from: dps on June 13, 2017, 07:04:45 PM
Well, I'm still not convinced that even a Brexit with no agreements in place will be the disaster some have predicted.

Well let's imagine that we took the United States and cancelled everything we had done since 1977. Seems kind of like a clusterfuck to me.

But then again I don't know which disaster that some had predicted you mean.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Well, I'm still not convinced that even a Brexit with no agreements in place will be the disaster some have predicted.

Care to elaborate?

dps

Quote from: Jacob on June 13, 2017, 07:21:12 PM

Care to elaborate?

Some people seemed to be predicting the total economic collapse of the UK.

Valmy

Yeah that might be a little far.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

I think the economic effect has been overstated by "Project Fear", but it certainly exists and seems to become more visible lately. In nominal exchange rate terms the effect was immediate and considerable.
That said there are non economic consequences. If our own Tamas wants to bring his parents to Britain to care for them, that's no problem now. But might be a problem in the future. He loses some of his individual rights.

Richard Hakluyt

I think there will be a recession, followed by a period of re-adjustment and opportunity. I can see that if we have tariff barriers with the EU it will be bad for services but might help our manufacturers; that is going against the grain of comparative advantage though, so we can expect a net loss there.

The non-economic consequences are more important in my view, especially in the long run; pulling up the drawbridge to prevent our fellow Europeans living here is a very retrograde step.

Josquius

Weren't those total collapse predictions based on the "pull out straight away" idiocy?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I read a couple of days ago that the EU nurses applying to be registered in the UK has fallen from around 1400 in last June to 46 this June. I hope the proudly British Leavers are lining up to be nurses otherwise there'll be big troubles.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 14, 2017, 03:45:50 AM
I read a couple of days ago that the EU nurses applying to be registered in the UK has fallen from around 1400 in last June to 46 this June. I hope the proudly British Leavers are lining up to be nurses otherwise there'll be big troubles.

The more disturbing number than 1400 is 96%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40248366

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

It's happening in other sectors. My GF has been told by several firms that they are dialing back on hiring EU lawyers because of immigration concerns.

I guess that's WAD if you're a leaver.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on June 14, 2017, 04:54:36 AM
It's happening in other sectors. My GF has been told by several firms that they are dialing back on hiring EU lawyers because of immigration concerns.

I guess that's WAD if you're a leaver.

Blue passports, mate. Had to be done.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2017, 04:49:39 AM

The more disturbing number than 1400 is 96%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40248366

Comparing data from april with data from july is a bit tricky, though. In any case it's plain to see that right after the Brexit referendum (almost one year ago already, damn how time flies...) registrations plumetted. The claim that it's due to new language requiriments seems dodgy to me.

The Minsky Moment

Planning in advance?  It's that kind of regimented European style thinking that caused people to vote for Brexit in the first place.  The British can easily handle such problems in their distinctive national manner- waiting to the last minute and muddling through as best as possible.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

Recruitment of trainee nurses is also down, by about 25%, because the government got rid of bursaries for trainees so the cost of training has considerably increased for the individuals concerned. Meanwhile nurses' pay has only risen by about 1% per annum during the austerity period. The net result is that the financial rewards are now almost insulting and morale is low, so additional nurses retire early if it is possible.

A pity about the 7.5 from the North Korean judge, otherwise the government would have got a perfect score for a magnificently orchestrated balls-up.

Valmy

Well fortunately there will be hundreds of millions available for the NHS in a couple years.