Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Grey Fox

btw not a Marmite fan.

I like sugar on my breakfast, thank you very much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

QuoteUnder the proposals from the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry, businesses in the UK capital would be able to sponsor skilled workers with a job offer for a visa.

[...]

Recipients would have London-specific national insurance numbers that would prevent them from working elsewhere. If they left or lost their job, they would have 60 days to find another one before being deported. Businesses would have to prove they could not recruit locally unless the post was on a London-specific list of skills shortages.
https://www.ft.com/content/e2cd9232-a683-11e6-8b69-02899e8bd9d1

:huh: Maybe it's just me, but that seems a very poor, unattractive substitute for what rights EU citizens currently have in the UK...

The Brain

:huh: That's the idea of Brexit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

:lol:
True

Quote from: Zanza on November 10, 2016, 02:18:33 PM
QuoteUnder the proposals from the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry, businesses in the UK capital would be able to sponsor skilled workers with a job offer for a visa.

[...]

Recipients would have London-specific national insurance numbers that would prevent them from working elsewhere. If they left or lost their job, they would have 60 days to find another one before being deported. Businesses would have to prove they could not recruit locally unless the post was on a London-specific list of skills shortages.
https://www.ft.com/content/e2cd9232-a683-11e6-8b69-02899e8bd9d1

:huh: Maybe it's just me, but that seems a very poor, unattractive substitute for what rights EU citizens currently have in the UK...
Interesting to see it being seriously talked about. I suggested this well before the ref, though it was thinking more about Scotland.
It makes sense. gives the areas that want migrants the chance to have them and shows the knuckle draggers in places migrants don't want to go that they aren't going there.

Certainly in Switzerland registration happens on a canton level.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It doesn't make sense at all, unless the proposal is that any area can also put in a bid for foreign workers if they want. The universities up north, for example, are pretty pissed off and worried that they won't be able to retain and recruit the foreigners that contribute so much to university life.

Edit : not a personal concern of mine, but I guess the premier league will also expect exemptions, it can hardly maintain its status as a top league without the foreign talent. Bad news for the Manchester teams if they can't recruit foreigners and the London teams can  :P

Tamas

What a fabulous proposal! Who would risk losing their job when they only hav 60 days to find a new one or see their newly built London life disintegrate? They will put up with any shit from their employers.

Richard Hakluyt

I don't think that it is possible to square this circle. We can reduce immigration by fucking the economy. If the economy continues to do well then there will continue to be lots of immigration. Passing petty laws will merely cause unpleasantness and irritation.

Valmy

QuoteWe can reduce immigration by fucking the economy.

Sometimes the only way to save a village is to destroy it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2016, 11:27:38 PM
QuoteWe can reduce immigration by fucking the economy.

Sometimes the only way to save a village is to destroy it.

Just takes one child to raze a village.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 11, 2016, 03:03:36 AM
It doesn't make sense at all, unless the proposal is that any area can also put in a bid for foreign workers if they want. The universities up north, for example, are pretty pissed off and worried that they won't be able to retain and recruit the foreigners that contribute so much to university life.

Edit : not a personal concern of mine, but I guess the premier league will also expect exemptions, it can hardly maintain its status as a top league without the foreign talent. Bad news for the Manchester teams if they can't recruit foreigners and the London teams can  :P

Yes, it would be best if all regions had the right to. But I don't think London having the right to bring in people above the standard immigration quotas (now there is the stupid idea) would be the end of the world.
Though it will certainly do wonders for encouraging even more of the economy to cram into London <_<

I recently bought the new Football Manager game. It will be curious to see how badly brexit fucks things up for me in a few game years.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

From guardian comment section:

QuoteImagine if back in in early 2015 someone had said that by the end of 2016 Prime Minister Theresa May would be looking to do a post-brexit trade deal with President Donald Trump aided by Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage, while the Ex-Shadow Chancellor is doing Gangnam Style on national television.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

The good news for the UK is that the weak post-Brexit economy means the amount set as their budget contribution for 2017 is going down.

The bad news is that the amount is set in Euros and the collapse of the pound means that the UK contributions will be increasing in sterling terms.

Brexit is truly the gift that keeps on taking.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson