Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2016, 06:25:47 AM
Ok, I have just sampled those headlines over at the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-37868158

Even the Telegraph wants the judges lynched it would seem. Just in an implied, conservative way, I guess.

WTF, people, this is not cool. I thought I fled this kind of mob rule shit.

Scary spider. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2016, 08:47:49 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 03, 2016, 07:28:29 AM
Excellent and glad you enjoyed Bermondsey. Brew by Numbers is one of my favourite local breweries too.

As an added bonus, I managed to get two of the BbN glasses back with me intact :cheers:

Next time you're in town, we'll have to try the South London taproom trail.

http://deserter.co.uk/2015/08/south-london-taproom-trail/

As you can see, you get a better quality of conversation if you go a bit further south of the Thames.

Thing about dwarves is, they're obsessed with fucking,' said Half-life, continuing a discussion I hadn't realised we were having.

'Pardon?'

'Yeah, when they get together they only have one thing on their mind, apparently. Mong Martin had to photograph a load of 'em. Said it was a nightmare. Every time they wanted to start the session they had to stop them fucking in the kitchen or the toilets. Even in cupboards.'

'What?'

'For real. Everyone knows it. That Peter What's-his-name, did Lord of the Rings, he said it was mental, they were out of control on set. Terry Gilliam? He reckoned they lost a week's shooting trying to stop all the shagging on Time Bandits.

'They were all men, weren't they?'

'They don't care. They just want to fuck. They bloody love it.'

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Even the Telegraph wants the judges lynched it would seem. Just in an implied, conservative way, I guess.

So judges are going against the people by saying that major decisions must be made by vote of Parliament instead of ministerial fiat?  That is some Orwellian discourse there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Gups

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2016, 10:03:14 AM

So judges are going against the people by saying that major decisions must be made by vote of Parliament instead of ministerial fiat?  That is some Orwellian discourse there.

It's so fucking depressing I don't know where to start.

It's a very good quality judgement form three very senior, well-qualified judges (although it's a high court decision, all three are appellate judges). 

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2016, 07:17:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2016, 07:00:41 AM
I saw clegg on tv this morning and seems no. He said he would vote for article 50 on a soft brexit :(

Coward  :(

Oh reflection he could just be playing politics.
Showing himself to be a reasonable man but in actuality no brexit shall ever be soft enough for him.
██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2016, 03:40:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2016, 03:35:23 AM
So they are enemies of Democracy because they assert that Parliament needs to have a say - the PM can't just act unilaterally?

Only direct democracy is real democracy

That's right. You people are just slaves who occasionally get to swap their masters.

garbon

Liked this which I saw being shared online. Mainly first paragraph. :)

Quote"In June, the British people voted to take back control of our country and give it to me. They wanted to make sure our parliament was sovereign (though not on this matter); put an end to unelected officials in Brussels deciding policy and let our own elected representatives decide (though not on this matter); and make sure British courts have the final say (though not on this matter).

This setback will not derail our Brexit strategy because we don't have one. The danger is now that blunder, chaos and confusion will reign (those are my nicknames for Boris, Liam Fox and David Davis). My government needs the right to do everything in secret so no-one knows how big the bribes are that we give to companies to stay or just how stupid leaving the EU is actually going to be.

We, your government, demand the right to tank the pound, make prices soar, destroy the economy and stoke xenophobia. If we're not careful, the terrible thing that Leave campaigned for will happen: Parliament, the UK courts and our elected representatives will make our decisions. Don't let this happen. Don't let democracy win. It's time to stop unelected judges with no mandate deciding our fate and let an unelected Prime Minister with no mandate decide it instead."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote[...]

The outline of the government's City strategy is already taking shape, based on the starting point that Britain will leave the single market and that banks and insurers would lose the "passporting" rights that allow them to offer their services across the EU.

William Hague, the former foreign secretary, said last week that some in the City would prefer not to stay in the single market after Brexit, because Britain would then become a "rule-taker" from Brussels with no input to those rules.

Britain will instead seek a "hybrid" deal that would go beyond the bloc's current "equivalence" rules, which extend limited rights to non-EU jurisdictions such as the US and Switzerland where regulation is deemed equivalent.

Ministers say that the current equivalence rules would not work for Britain because they are enforced by the European Commission and can be revoked at short notice at the discretion of Brussels.

"It would be tough for London to be a global hub if it could be disenfranchised at 30 days' notice," said one minister. Britain would seek a deal that would include a dispute settlement mechanism that operates outside EU institutions.

However, it may be difficult to make this happen. François Hollande, French president, made it clear immediately after the Brexit vote that he saw the decision as a chance to bring euro-related business from the City to Paris.

The idea of sidelining EU institutions such as the commission and the European Court of Justice may be a tough sell in Brussels, not least because a review is already under way on streamlining and strengthening the existing equivalence rules.

[...]
https://www.ft.com/content/01875e64-a432-11e6-8898-79a99e2a4de6

:huh: A dispute-settling mechanism that works outside of the EU institutions? Why would the EU agree to that? We already have that mechanism - the European Court of Justice. And its oversight was supposedly one of the main reasons why Britain left. Why would we now create a new dispute settlement mechanism with a party that didn't accept the previous one...?  :hmm:

Tamas

:huh:

The mind boggles

The Minsky Moment

Step 1:  Jump out of Airplane
Step 2:  Go get parachute from airplane and put it on
Step 3:  Oh wait a sec . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2016, 04:34:15 PM

:lol:

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2016, 04:34:15 PM

Can such a decision making process be trumped?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

What kind of sick fuck would walk out on Airplane?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

I was reading the latest news out of Hungary and was wondering:

Is there a mechanism in place to revoke a country's adherence to the EU?