Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 31, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 31, 2016, 12:51:24 PM
Measurements aren't just abstract or even yardsticks*, but their set up have real world uses and advantages, that's why the yard has been successful, when marking material and making something,  a measure that is divisible by 2,3,4,6,9 and 12 is rather useful.

* I wonder what the OED has to say about it?

Metric is even divisible by 10, which is even more useful.  :P Divisible by 9, not really. Also conversions between imperial units? How many inches in a yard again? -milli to kilo is much more intuitive.

How often would a carpenter be asked to make 5 or 10 chairs to go with a table, vs say being asked to make a set or 2, 3, 4 or 6 chairs?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2016, 01:12:01 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 31, 2016, 01:09:41 PM
QED

Hey the Ancien Regime had stupid units to.

So the Jacobine defends now the Ancien Régime? For shame, really. :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on August 31, 2016, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 31, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 31, 2016, 12:51:24 PM
Measurements aren't just abstract or even yardsticks*, but their set up have real world uses and advantages, that's why the yard has been successful, when marking material and making something,  a measure that is divisible by 2,3,4,6,9 and 12 is rather useful.

* I wonder what the OED has to say about it?

Metric is even divisible by 10, which is even more useful.  :P Divisible by 9, not really. Also conversions between imperial units? How many inches in a yard again? -milli to kilo is much more intuitive.

How often would a carpenter be asked to make 5 or 10 chairs to go with a table, vs say being asked to make a set or 2, 3, 4 or 6 chairs?

More than 9 or 12, respectively. But then metric is flexible enough for 2 as well so I don't really see your point. Why don't you go back to the non-decimal pound as well while you're at it?

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on August 31, 2016, 11:51:11 AM
Quote from: Brazen on August 31, 2016, 10:22:29 AM
Just to add further confusion, I use C for low temperatures ("Brrr, it's below zero") and F for high temperatures ("Phew, it must be over 80 out there").

This is quite common amongst Brits of a certain age. :whistle:
Also the papers. Our extremes of temperatures go from -10 to 100 degrees :lol:

Like the rest of the Brits I'm a hodge-podge of imperial and metric.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

No pure "imperials" in Britain anymore?  :o Bigre ! Not even the elderly? Can't believe it.

Sheilbh

I think some things metric works better and is universal - celsius for example.

Some stuff I think is generational - food measurements for example.

Other stuff is for whatever reason universally imperial - weight of a person, distance, beer.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 31, 2016, 02:12:46 PM
So the Jacobine defends now the Ancien Régime? For shame, really. :(

Of course not. Lamenting how the English cutting the head off a King didn't lead to similar reforms :weep:

And where have I defended Imperial units? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Thinking about it for cm and below, as well as meter and above I use metric, but in between I use imperial. Using decimetre instead of inches and feet seems odd, as does saying 30 cm instead of 1 foot (approx.).
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 31, 2016, 02:27:53 PM
I think some things metric works better and is universal - celsius for example.

Sweden rules.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I don't think its fair to class beer as one for the imperials.
To my mind a pint is a pint. Its more than a unit of measure, its a standard serving of beer. I know in Belgium at the least they also use pint as standard and they're a pretty damn metric country (in Switzerland its just small or big :bleeding:)

Though thinking about it one area where I do use imperial is with pints of milk :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Yeah, lots of beer bars over here sell beer by the pint, it's a beer culture thing I guess.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2016, 03:49:02 PM
Yeah, lots of beer bars over here sell beer by the pint, it's a beer culture thing I guess.

None does here...  :hmm: it's quinto, mediana, jarra, litrona.

Note: I avoid hipster beer places like the plague. It might happen there.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2016, 03:49:02 PM

Is it an imperial pint or a metric pint (50cl)? The latter I think. Never saw imperial pints (56,8cl) in Belgium. Pintje is of a different size too, same as the demi in France(half-pint).