Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Brazen

Just to add further confusion, I use C for low temperatures ("Brrr, it's below zero") and F for high temperatures ("Phew, it must be over 80 out there").

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on August 31, 2016, 10:22:29 AM
Just to add further confusion, I use C for low temperatures ("Brrr, it's below zero") and F for high temperatures ("Phew, it must be over 80 out there").

This is quite common amongst Brits of a certain age. :whistle:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2016, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2016, 09:58:20 AM

After all, there is a difference between knowing a rote fact and actually being able to use that for any purpose. I can't do much with the amount of centimeters in 5 meters as both mean very little to me. Actually centimeters mean something to me but only to a certain extent. Past say 10-20 centimeters, I can't visual what distance is being talked about.

A yard is 90 centimeters :P

91.5  :thumbsdown:
Québécois, or old French really, translation for you: verge. :)

Except in football, association variety where yards are replaced by metres.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on August 31, 2016, 09:35:32 AM
You use non-metric units every day as well, even in "metric" countries - the day for example is 86400 seconds.

Seconds are part of the International System of Units, like metric, unlike whatever "imperial" units.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 31, 2016, 12:41:53 PM

After all, there is a difference between knowing a rote fact and actually being able to use that for any purpose. I can't do much with the amount of centimeters in 5 meters as both mean very little to me. Actually centimeters mean something to me but only to a certain extent. Past say 10-20 centimeters, I can't visual what distance is being talked about.

At least in US it is 0.9144.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on August 31, 2016, 08:20:29 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 31, 2016, 08:01:38 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 31, 2016, 07:59:03 AM
Garbon: Be happy.
Tamas: Be afraid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/08/29/now-were-out-of-the-eu-we-can-bring-back-britains-other-pound/

:bleeding:

:D In the globalised world, it will not happen, or if it does it will die out with the 60+ somethings whose vote they will be hunting with it

:yes:

Spain used the pound too, my grandparents bought groceries by pounds. It's dead now.

As Zanza added, the metric pound still exists in metric countries. Same for the pint in France, they just renamed the baron for marketing reasons.

mongers

Measurements aren't just abstract or even yardsticks*, but their set up have real world uses and advantages, that's why the yard has been successful, when marking material and making something,  a measure that is divisible by 2,3,4,6,9 and 12 is rather useful.

* I wonder what the OED has to say about it?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2016, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 31, 2016, 12:41:53 PM

At least in US it is 0.9144.

I really doubt a yard is 0.9144 centimetres, even the US.  :P

[spoiler]Yes, I understood you meant it in metres but metric and metre is not the same, as you certainly know[/spoiler]

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on August 31, 2016, 12:51:24 PM
Measurements aren't just abstract or even yardsticks*, but their set up have real world uses and advantages, that's why the yard has been successful, when marking material and making something,  a measure that is divisible by 2,3,4,6,9 and 12 is rather useful.

* I wonder what the OED has to say about it?

Metric is even divisible by 10, which is even more useful.  :P Divisible by 9, not really. Also conversions between imperial units? How many inches in a yard again? -milli to kilo is much more intuitive.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Larger units in imperial is fine, its' when you start getting into 3/8th of an inch and the like that it gets weird.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2016, 12:59:34 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 31, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
How many inches in a yard again?

And how many in a land mile?

HVC

For using retarded anglo units, you are once again confirmed as not being a porkchop but an Anglo-Canadian-Azorean-Lisboete pidgin speaker! :(

PS: I would have looked the other way had you spoken of cântaros or even almudes (southern unit for you)...

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."