Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2016, 03:20:51 PM
Since we're talking British trains...

On our trip we stayed at this charming little cottage in the highlands, but to get to the cottage you had to cross a private rail crossing.  There was a phone, you'd say the name of your crossing, and then wait to be told whether it was safe or not.

Well one time they did say a train would be by soon, so I decided to wait and see it.  It turned out to be this absolutely miniscule 2-car train.

Looking it up now the train served the nearby village of Ardgay (running essentially as a commuter line into Inverness), which according to Wiki has an annual train usage of 8,000 people.  That seems absurdly inefficient to keep such a tiny train service running.

If they have freight on the line as well then that's not so bad; the big cost is maintaining the track.  If they're maintaining track for a two car passenger train then that's a fantastic waste of money.  A bus would be much more economical than that.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

First experience on first class on Virgin Trains in one of the new trains. So much space, it is fantastic. Thanks, bank holiday, for driving up prices so much that it was basically the same price for standard and first class.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2016, 08:57:49 AM
First experience on first class on Virgin Trains in one of the new trains. So much space, it is fantastic. Thanks, bank holiday, for driving up prices so much that it was basically the same price for standard and first class.

For reasons I don't pretend to understand, first class is sometimes cheaper than second.

Josquius

That's one of the things that needs fixing about the British system.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on August 29, 2016, 08:30:38 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2016, 03:20:51 PM
Since we're talking British trains...

On our trip we stayed at this charming little cottage in the highlands, but to get to the cottage you had to cross a private rail crossing.  There was a phone, you'd say the name of your crossing, and then wait to be told whether it was safe or not.

Well one time they did say a train would be by soon, so I decided to wait and see it.  It turned out to be this absolutely miniscule 2-car train.

Looking it up now the train served the nearby village of Ardgay (running essentially as a commuter line into Inverness), which according to Wiki has an annual train usage of 8,000 people.  That seems absurdly inefficient to keep such a tiny train service running.

If they have freight on the line as well then that's not so bad; the big cost is maintaining the track.  If they're maintaining track for a two car passenger train then that's a fantastic waste of money.  A bus would be much more economical than that.

I looked it up - passenger line only.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Since Dr Beeching inflicted terrible trauma on the British psyche back in the 1960s, by closing about a third of the rail network, it has become almost blasphemous to suggest further closures. These uneconomic branch lines are highly prized by the populace  :bowler:

Sheilbh

Bus services in place of these small trainlines was proposed by Beeching then never properly implemented. So never again :contract: :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2016, 09:15:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2016, 08:57:49 AM

For reasons I don't pretend to understand, first class is sometimes cheaper than second.

WUT?

Sheilbh

Yeah. I've had it be cheaper to go first class on Eurostar!

Also just discovered it's far cheaper to buy a first class ticket even a day in advance than it is to get standard class on the day when I go home. Which is normally worth it for space and plugs on a three hour train.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Well, to be honest getting a discount first class ticket is sometimes cheaper, I have seen it in France and Germany during some sales but ONLY a day in advance? :huh:

celedhring

I have also seen first class train tickets being cheaper in Spain, if you happen to hit them at the right time.

Richard Hakluyt

What is very common on the West coast route is a chance to upgrade for only £15 or so. Not bad when you can get a free meal and a G&T out of it as well as the other benefits.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 30, 2016, 01:42:21 PM
What is very common on the West coast route is a chance to upgrade for only £15 or so. Not bad when you can get a free meal and a G&T out of it as well as the other benefits.

Good tip, worth knowing. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████