Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Moving towards a Trumpian approach?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/05/corbyn-investigating-claims-leadership-contest-is-being-rigged

QuoteCorbyn investigating claims leadership contest is being rigged

Jeremy Corbyn has revealed he is investigating allegations that Labour's leadership contest is being rigged against him after a number of his supporters received letters barring them from taking part.

In an interview with the Guardian, the Labour leader said he hoped party officials were not working against him but could not rule out the possibility.

"I'm surprised at the numbers of people who've been denied a vote and I'm surprised at the lack of reason that's been given to people," he said, in his strongest intervention on the subject so far.

"I'm concerned about that because surely in a democratic process everyone should be entitled to vote unless there is some very good reason against them."

Corbyn revealed that he had demanded the name of every person who had been denied a vote, saying he was unhappy about the situation but not "obsessed" because he remained confident that large numbers of his supporters would be able to vote.

In a wide-ranging interview, he also responded to the children's author JK Rowling after she expressed her frustration with his expected re-election as leader on Twitter, claiming Labour would not laugh in the future because "this isn't bloody funny".

Calling her a "wonderful writer" and saying he would buy her new book, Corbyn admitted "she seems to have some differences with me at the moment".

"I'm disappointed about that but I've never met her – I look forward to meeting her to discuss these matters but I will buy her book," he said, opening up the possibility of a face-to-face meeting if Rowling agrees.

Asked if he would welcome one of the world's most successful writers into the Labour movement – perhaps as an MP – he added: "It's not up to me to decide who Labour MPs are."

The leader also responded to the suggestion from Labour MP Frank Field that MPs felt they were facing an "execution squad" from Corbyn supporters who wanted to deselect politicians ahead of a general election.

"There is no execution squad – what there is is a greater democracy in the party," said the leader, insisting that he would not interfere in local selections.

"I'm saying party members must have a chance to decide who they want and what they want. That is what a thriving democracy is about."

However, he did raise the prospect that a major review of parliamentary constituencies, due next week, could result in far more Labour MPs having to go through a reselection process.

Corbyn pointed out that MPs would have to undergo the so-called "trigger ballot mechanism", which could allow local members to act against them, although in 20 years it has rarely been used to remove a sitting politician.

Corbyn's comments about the alleged rigging of the contest came alongside claims from individuals that they have been unfairly cut out of the process.

According to documents seen by the Guardian, Shaun Owens received a letter warning that intimidating or abusive behaviour would not be tolerated but said he could not find the offensive tweet the party suggested he had posted.

Dr Gemma Angel was blocked for supporting the Green party on social media in 2014, before becoming a member. Chris Devismes said he was restricted because of "inappropriate content on Twitter on 27 July" but claimed the only material was stating that he wasn't a supporter of Corbyn's challenger, Owen Smith.

But party sources have hit back at the suggestions. One leaked document suggested that members had been expelled for making abusive threats, including to "cut Tony Blair's eyes out and set him on fire", describing sitting MPs as "traitors" and publicly endorsing other political parties.

A Labour spokeswoman said there had been a "robust validation process" to ensure every vote cast was eligible under the rules, and said that members were free to call up and find out the exact reason for the suspensions.

"The Labour party is and should always be a place of tolerance and open debate but it should never tolerate this type of abusive language and threatening behaviour," she said.

Others were less convinced, with one party source who supports Corbyn claiming that the national executive committee panels making the decisions were stacked against the current leader. They claimed that of eight people chosen to take part, only two were "consistent" supporters of the leader, and one was on the reserve list.

However, the claim was strongly denied by the party.

The row comes ahead of the first parliamentary Labour party meeting of the parliamentary term, at which MPs are voting about whether elections for the shadow cabinet should be reintroduced. The issue, which will have to go to the NEC and conference, is dividing politicians and the leadership, with Corbyn's team suggesting members rather than MPs should be given a vote.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Somehow, I don't think promising to build a wall and making Mexico pay for it will play all that well in the UK.  Expelling Muslims might, though.

Zanza

I doubt very many Muslims came to the UK under "freedom of movement". Eastern Europeans are typically Christian or Atheist.

garbon

So with Cameron quitting as an MP so as not to be a 'distraction', it had me wondering - does anyone actually ever think of Cameron these days?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

I'd forgotten him already..........fame is so fleeting  :P

garbon

Aww, mongers deleted his one liner.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on September 05, 2016, 02:53:50 PM
I doubt very many Muslims came to the UK under "freedom of movement". Eastern Europeans are typically Christian or Atheist.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of brexiters.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on September 05, 2016, 02:53:50 PM

I believe the concern (rightly or wrongly) came from the perceived inability to effectively control foreign immigration into the EU (especially from Muslim countries in the wake of the refugee crisis), and from there into the UK. Something Angela Merkel's imprudent policies greatly contributed to. FWIW, I think she has killed Schoengen in the long run (which is a pity), at least.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2016, 02:53:34 AM
I believe the concern (rightly or wrongly) came from the perceived inability to effectively control foreign immigration into the EU (especially from Muslim countries in the wake of the refugee crisis), and from there into the UK.
:lol: I know it's hard to accept as a Pole, but this was about Poles, Romanians and Bulgarians. The British didn't like Eastern Europeans coming by the millions to their shores.

QuoteSomething Angela Merkel's imprudent policies greatly contributed to. FWIW, I think she has killed Schoengen in the long run (which is a pity), at least.
Germany will never kill Schengen, we have always been a champion of further European integration.
If anybody kills it, it will be Visegrad wannabe-authoritarian governments like the ones in Poland or Hungary who do not share common (West?) European values.

Martinus

I think you misunderstood what I am saying. People of Europe give fuck all to Germany being a "champion of further European integration" (although I would not say German has "always" been that unless there is a typo and you meant "Fuhrer European integration") - I am saying that idiotic, unilateral German policies on refugees showed the weakness of Schengen (and generally, free movement of people) - the fact that if one country lets in all kinds of rabble, everybody else then has to contend with it.

Gups

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2016, 04:46:43 AM
I think you misunderstood what I am saying. People of Europe give fuck all to Germany being a "champion of further European integration" (although I would not say German has "always" been that unless there is a typo and you meant "Fuhrer European integration") - I am saying that idiotic, unilateral German policies on refugees showed the weakness of Schengen (and generally, free movement of people) - the fact that if one country lets in all kinds of rabble, everybody else then has to contend with it.

You're wrong again. People were anti-immigration way before the refugee crisis and it was almost all about East Europeans. Nobody really gave a fuck about Schengen even if they had heard of it (and f they had they'd no we weren't part of it).

Sheilbh

All true but I think the refugee crisis and the images of hundreds of thousands of non-white people crossing Europe did help Leave. It's unfortunate and I'm not sure how much it mattered but I think it was definitely a factor.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

It wouldn't take many voters to switch from remain to leave for the events last summer to have had a decisive effect, one in 40 would do the job.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2016, 07:42:19 AM
All true but I think the refugee crisis and the images of hundreds of thousands of non-white people crossing Europe did help Leave. It's unfortunate and I'm not sure how much it mattered but I think it was definitely a factor.

I agree.

Sadly I think that Farage poster probably pushed the Leave vote up by a few tenths of a percent, maybe more? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2016, 04:46:43 AM
I am saying that idiotic, unilateral German policies on refugees showed the weakness of Schengen (and generally, free movement of people) - the fact that if one country lets in all kinds of rabble, everybody else then has to contend with it.
And I am saying that Eastern Europeans voting for PiS or Fidesz and those governments not embracing any of the values of the EU, among the solidarity and basic human rights, is what is harming the EU. There doesn't seem to be much point in further political projects with the Visegrad group.