Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

From a Telegraph writer:
QuoteJust heard from a friend out canvassing for Labour that they doorknocked an old lady who said she'd never vote for them again because of "Hugh Gaitskell's stance on Suez". I hope to be similarly niche in my rationales one day

Always kind of love these and speak to anyone who has canvassed and every election they will find someone with an incredibly specific reason for not voting for x party :lol:

(Having said that, I could fully imagine myself in my 80s or 90s keeping the flame of some long forgotten fight of the early two thousands burning. Get door knocked by a Conservative campaigner to tell them I'll never forgive the party that appointed Chris Grayling Justice Secretary...)
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Separately continue to find the NYT coverage of Britain slightly mad. After the Jonathan Pie column we're now on the cusp (according to the polls) of a Labour landslide.

Who better to explain this for their readers than Oliver Eagleton, the author of an extremely hostile biography accusing Starmer of an "authoritarian centrist" takeover of Labour (published by Verso). He's an editor of New Left Review and son of renowned Marxist literary theorist Terry Eagleton.

It's like if the Times or BBC decided to explain the US by commissioning writers solely from either Chapo Trap House or the editorial staff of Jacobin. It's so, so weird - especially in contrast to the comment pieces about, say, the US :lol: On one side of the Atlantic it's borderline right-wing disinformation to mention the President's age, on the other - is Keir Starmer a Manchurian candidate for "Britain's deep state"? :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

How exactly is someone authoritarian and centrist?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on July 04, 2024, 03:41:59 PMHow exactly is someone authoritarian and centrist?
I don't think that's particularly difficult.

In Eagleton's argument though Starmer was chief prosecutor with a "military-chauvinist agenda: pro-police, pro-army, anti-protester" and became aligned with "Britain's deep state" and the security services (an extension of the Pentagon and Washington's military-industrial complex). When he became an MP he then masterminded an "internal wrecking operation" to turn Labour into a Remain party and destroy Corbyn's leadership, which was a threat to Britain's deep state.

Paper of record :lol: I can only assume there's a wildly different editorial standard for US v UK comment for the NYT. I know Americans think the British press has too narrow a bound of opinion (although I'm 100% certain that in the UK it wouldn't have taken a disastrous debate performance for people to seriously talk about Biden's age) but you should have some standards.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Exit Poll:

Worse Tory result than 1906. Not keen on that Reform number - and far, far worse than I expected for the SNP in Scotland.

Edit: Also the Lib Dems are back!
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I'm just hoping one of the fascists isn't in my hometown.
Dissappointing but expected to see the tories on 3 figures. Let's see.
I can certainly see the temptation to say something else on exit polls.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

If that holds up, the last time the Tories had a result that bad, the United States didn't exist :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 04, 2024, 04:12:50 PMIf that holds up, the last time the Tories had a result that bad, the United States didn't exist :lol:

Well that's ominous for their election.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 04, 2024, 02:42:03 PMFrom a Telegraph writer:
QuoteJust heard from a friend out canvassing for Labour that they doorknocked an old lady who said she'd never vote for them again because of "Hugh Gaitskell's stance on Suez". I hope to be similarly niche in my rationales one day

Always kind of love these and speak to anyone who has canvassed and every election they will find someone with an incredibly specific reason for not voting for x party :lol:

(Having said that, I could fully imagine myself in my 80s or 90s keeping the flame of some long forgotten fight of the early two thousands burning. Get door knocked by a Conservative campaigner to tell them I'll never forgive the party that appointed Chris Grayling Justice Secretary...)

My wife had an uncle like that. Any political discussion with him always ended up being about Stafford Cripps and/or the travails of the Burntisland shipping company 🧐

HisMajestyBOB

I'd rather us be back under His Majesty Charles III and a Labour government than a Trump presidency  :glare:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

Maybe they should have ran a head of lettuce instead of actual candidates?

Sheilbh

FFS just seen that Chris Grayling has been given a peerage in the dissolution honours :lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 04, 2024, 04:32:38 PMFFS just seen that Chris Grayling has been given a peerage in the dissolution honours :lol: :bleeding:

T May!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.