Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

HVC

Quote from: Gups on February 23, 2024, 02:06:28 PMSorry didn't see B had got there first

Reiteration is good for people's self reflection

*edit* or not :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2024, 01:48:22 PM
QuoteNot everyone.

Just you. :contract:
Again evidently not. Its a well established cliche that gets thrown about all the time.

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2024, 12:38:08 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2024, 12:23:53 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2024, 11:58:27 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2024, 11:43:34 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2024, 11:16:01 AMIn josq's world all right is far right :P
Yeah, you guys keep saying that despite it being demonstrably false.
when everyone says it you might want to reconsider your view :D

It's such a lame right wing cliche. You just say everyone who calls someone far right, far right, actually thinks anyone right of them is far right :contract:

In that case it was just a mistype considering the topic.
Dude, you thought I was a Trump supporter.

Based on your views on Palestine youre indistinguishable.

:mad: Religious people are right wing. The fact that the left defends them is one more proof that the Overton window moved exponentially.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PJL

Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2024, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 23, 2024, 02:04:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2024, 11:16:01 AMIn josq's world all right is far right :P

It's such a lame right wing cliche. You just say everyone who calls someone far right, far right, actually thinks anyone right of them is far right :contract:

No, just you

Nope. Very common as a cope/smoke screen from those sympathetic to the far right to insist anyone daring to call a horse a horse is just so far left they call everyone far right.

https://countrysquire.co.uk/2018/06/19/the-peculiar-far-right-smear/

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-right-wing-became-the-smear-for-those-we-disagree-with/

It clearly isn't true for me or indeed most people the smear is used against.

I tend to find people who are incredibly self righteous and always seems to have an answer to everything (or at least 99%) and are incredibly sure of themselves, usually end up being an extremist. It would be a good exercise for these types to have a least a bit of self-reflection (in a kind of 'Mitchell & Webb - are we the baddies?' way) sometimes.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2024, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 23, 2024, 02:04:04 PM

No, just you

Nope. Very common as a cope/smoke screen from those sympathetic to the far right to insist anyone daring to call a horse a horse is just so far left they call everyone far right.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-right-wing-became-the-smear-for-those-we-disagree-with/

I'm sympathetic to the far right?

Damn. Should cancel my membership of the Labour party

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 23, 2024, 02:39:43 PM:mad: Religious people are right wing. The fact that the left defends them is one more proof that the Overton window moved exponentially.

I think now in 2024 religious people are more predominantly right wing, but that is certainly not an absolute.

Please remember that motions from abolition of slavery, to women's suffrage, to civil rights - all saw large numbers of religious people support them.  Heck - do I have to remind you that MLK Jr was a Reverend?

Even today - there still exist left-wing churches that support a variety of environmental or other progressive agendas.

And since Palestine was brought up as a progressive cause - Hamas is a pretty explicitly religious organization.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

And Pope Francis is hardly an icon of the global right.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

QuoteNot everyone.

Again evidently not. Its a well established cliche that gets thrown about all the time.

My views are the same as most liberals.  Interestingly, I saw an interview that a lot of Arabs were boycotting Biden in Michigan.  They said they were going to vote for Trump in November.  They didn't want to support "Genocide Joe".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2024, 05:05:57 PMAnd Pope Francis is hardly an icon of the global right.
and very unpopular in the states :D

How's the opinion of euro catholics?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

PJL

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2024, 05:36:59 PM
QuoteNot everyone.

My views are the same as most liberals.  Interestingly, I saw an interview that a lot of Arabs were boycotting Biden in Michigan.  They said they were going to vote for Trump in November.  They didn't want to support "Genocide Joe".

Trump throwing Israel under the bus would not surprise me. The Republicans letting him go through with it would be a different matter.

HVC

Quote from: PJL on February 23, 2024, 05:45:50 PMTrump throwing Israel under the bus would not surprise me. The Republicans letting me go through with it would be a different matter.

He made them love Russia, so anything is possible.

Razgovory

Trump thinks that Netanyahu betrayed him and that Jews are not loyal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2024, 02:12:18 PMNope. Very common as a cope/smoke screen from those sympathetic to the far right to insist anyone daring to call a horse a horse is just so far left they call everyone far right.

How do distinguish between the far right and the center right?

Josquius

QuoteMy views are the same as most liberals.  Interestingly, I saw an interview that a lot of Arabs were boycotting Biden in Michigan.  They said they were going to vote for Trump in November.  They didn't want to support "Genocide Joe".
Assuming you mean liberal in the American sense of anyone left of centre here.
No. Your views really aren't aligned with most. Most don't have blinkers on that Israel can do no wrong - Biden for instance.

Quote from: Gups on February 23, 2024, 04:38:31 PM]

I'm sympathetic to the far right?

Damn. Should cancel my membership of the Labour party
. You're sympathetic to the far right?
OK. Good to know?
I didn't think anyone would actually see those articles and go "yes those guys are right!"
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory