Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

And that would be the correct interpretation of the facts at hand.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2024, 11:16:01 AMIn josq's world all right is far right :P
Yeah, you guys keep saying that despite it being demonstrably false.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2024, 11:43:34 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2024, 11:16:01 AMIn josq's world all right is far right :P
when everyone says it you might want to reconsider your view :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 23, 2024, 11:39:40 AMAnd that would be the correct interpretation of the facts at hand.
There's left and right in Westminster. Broadly the threats and intimidation are experienced by MPs on all sides, which is what that article's about and I think the diagnosis is a little different based on their own experience as she sets out.

From the Creasy article she lists:
Herself - Her home was protested by anti-war protesters in 2015 as she supported UK participating in the anti-ISIS actions in Syria (this was also a pro/anti-Corbyn thing). She's also a very prominent campaigner on abortion and has regularly had her home and offices "protested" by anti-abortion groups. This is normally Catholics praying loudly and judgementally at people with really disgusting placrards etc (if you've ever seen the American right go into their "Britain has fallen" stuff over people getting arrested for praying - it's normally these guys).
Jo Cox - Labour MP murdered by a far right terrorist during the Brexit campaign.
David Amess - Tory MP murdered by an Islamist terrorist during a constituency surgery.
Mike Freer - Tory MP who has recently announced he won't run for re-election because of the level of threats and intimidation he's received. He's MP for a constituency with a large Jewish population. He was threatened during a constituency surgery in a mosque by the Muslims Against Crusades who are an extremist group, the police innformed him that the killer of David Amess had also visited Freer's offices and that he was possibly also a target. Shortly after the war in Gaza started his constituency office was destroyed in an arson attack.
Tobias Ellwood - Tory MP and chair of the Defence Select Committee. His constituency family home in Dorset was the target of pro-Gaza protests (and I'd suggest it's very unlikely to be Islamists in South Dorset). The police advised that him and his family should not go home and should stay away, as if they arrived it would "antagonise the situation". Of note, Ellwood was present during the attack by an Islamist terrorist on the Houses of Parliament where a police officer was stabbed. He was on the scene at the time and tried to save the police officers life.

Worth noting that all of those are backbench MPs - and all have experiences of off-line threats, violence and intimidation.

It's also aboslutely true that minority MPs, like Diane Abbott, receive even more abuse; that women have it far worse than men; and that Muslim MPs receive horrendous Islamophobic threats and abuse particularly online.

But I'm not sure that you can just exclude the right, Tory MPs (and staffers etc) and their experience from a conversation about threats and intimidation in public life. I think it's a problem that MPs in all parties are experiencing and it's not, exclusively, an Islamist and far right phenomenon. In a way I think the problem is that lots of people just immediately whatabout and are unable to chew gum and walk at the same time - which I think is mainly a problem (except for a few very partisan hacks) outside of Westminster. I think most MPs get it because it's a shared, common experience.

But I absolutely get the question but I think this is an area where the UK and the US are not the same.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2024, 11:58:27 AM

It's such a lame right wing cliche. You just say everyone who calls someone far right, far right, actually thinks anyone right of them is far right :contract:

In that case it was just a mistype considering the topic.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

I'm a lefty if it makes you feel any better. Well more centre left as I age.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2024, 12:23:53 PM

It's such a lame right wing cliche. You just say everyone who calls someone far right, far right, actually thinks anyone right of them is far right :contract:

Dude, you thought I was a Trump supporter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Not everyone.

Just you. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

As I have been saying there is no discernible practical difference between the "right" and the "far-right" anymore. In every bloody country that matters, the so-called "right" stands aside while the far-right dominates their space. If they want to be treated as a separate political entity they can start prioritising that above "owning the libs" to get things rolling.

Josquius

QuoteNot everyone.

Just you. :contract:
Again evidently not. Its a well established cliche that gets thrown about all the time.

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2024, 12:38:08 PM

Dude, you thought I was a Trump supporter.

Based on your views on Palestine youre indistinguishable.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

No, just you

Gups

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on February 23, 2024, 02:04:04 PM

No, just you

Nope. Very common as a cope/smoke screen from those sympathetic to the far right to insist anyone daring to call a horse a horse is just so far left they call everyone far right.

https://countrysquire.co.uk/2018/06/19/the-peculiar-far-right-smear/

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-right-wing-became-the-smear-for-those-we-disagree-with/

It clearly isn't true for me or indeed most people the smear is used against.
██████
██████
██████