Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2024, 03:59:27 AMSo Galloway won with about 40% - more than the Tories, Lib Dem's and (not) Labour combined. Second was a local businessman running as an independent.

Reform had another actual electoral performance that was far worse than their polling (not sure if they kept their deposit).

I hope after today, the media will be responsible and won't be giving him wall to wall coverage or at least no more than we give to *checks status of minority parties in parliament* then given to Caroline Lucas.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on March 01, 2024, 03:50:46 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 01, 2024, 02:53:33 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 29, 2024, 05:31:04 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 29, 2024, 05:07:09 PMYou just can't admit that you don't know something, can you?
Of course I can? I do this all the time.
Ironically I don't know what you are referring to here.

That decisions to take actions against breaches of planning law are taken and funded by local authorities and not by central Government.

I see.
So what has happened here is that you vehemently disagree with the use of the word 'government' for actions at any level of government other than central government, but rather than make that clear you decided it would be more fun to pretend I believe the that the house of commons spends all their time discussing the likes of whether some guy in Kendal is allowed to build a granny flat or not.
That would explain a lot actually if it were true... but no. That's insane.

Why did you stipulate that " The government cares about London " if you were talking about local level government ? Why would the local planning authorities of West Midlands care about London?

*edit* damn you garbon!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2024, 04:26:20 AMI hope after today, the media will be responsible and won't be giving him wall to wall coverage or at least no more than we give to *checks status of minority parties in parliament* then given to Caroline Lucas.
So he will get coverage now.

He previously only popped up at election times (Batley and Span). I can't remember how it works but the broadcaster basically have a formula for invitations on things like Question Time which is based on last election share of the vote, current polling and number of MPs. So he'll be on that, plus he'll never say no to a media appearance.

So he'll be on more mainstream media than his own show on Russia Today, Sputnik, or deputy leader Chris Wiliamson's show, Palestine Declassified.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

The media hasn't been responsible in years. Decades even depending on type and country.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2024, 04:23:36 AM
Quote from: Gups on February 29, 2024, 05:07:09 PMYou just can't admit that you don't know something, can you?

That decisions to take actions against breaches of planning law are taken and funded by local authorities and not by central Government.

I see.
So what has happened here is that you vehemently disagree with the use of the word 'government' for actions at any level of government other than central government, but rather than make that clear you decided it would be more fun to pretend I believe the that the house of commons spends all their time discussing the likes of whether some guy in Kendal is allowed to build a granny flat or not.

What level of government were you referring to in this quote?

Quote from: Josquius on February 29, 2024, 07:24:45 AMYeah, I've heard of this London one before. It was good, but...London. The government cares about London and things actually work the way they're meant to there.

It sounded like you were saying the central government cares about London vs say the rest of the country.  Otherwise it seems weird if you were saying the local government in London cares more about its constituents than local government in other parts of the country care about their own constituents.

Local government is reliant on central government for its funding. It also ultimately exists under central government's oversight.
Local government can get away with/is forced to provide a lot less in places central government doesn't care about.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2024, 04:42:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2024, 04:26:20 AMI hope after today, the media will be responsible and won't be giving him wall to wall coverage or at least no more than we give to *checks status of minority parties in parliament* then given to Caroline Lucas.
So he will get coverage now.

He previously only popped up at election times (Batley and Span). I can't remember how it works but the broadcaster basically have a formula for invitations on things like Question Time which is based on last election share of the vote, current polling and number of MPs. So he'll be on that, plus he'll never say no to a media appearance.

So he'll be on more mainstream media than his own show on Russia Today, Sputnik, or deputy leader Chris Wiliamson's show, Palestine Declassified.

So I guess the answer is no. They won't do the responsible thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Well also the Greens are closer to a real party so even though Lucas is by a mile their best politician and best media performer, they keep trying to make, say, Natalie Bennett happen.

Genuinely think the Greens would have had vastly more success since 2019 if they'd just been a one man band around Lucas.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

The media didn't do the responsible thing with Trump in 2016 either.

I expect we'll have complete coverage of every utterance from Galloway for 5 years now. Oh joy.

And, by the way, British politics continue to be almost exclusively animated and moved by events in... Gaza.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 01, 2024, 06:01:01 AMThe media didn't do the responsible thing with Trump in 2016 either.

I expect we'll have complete coverage of every utterance from Galloway for 5 years now. Oh joy.

And, by the way, British politics continue to be almost exclusively animated and moved by events in... Gaza.

Which will then cement Galloway as important and in a circular fashion show why he is worthy of so much coverage...

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on March 01, 2024, 05:06:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2024, 04:23:36 AM

I see.

What level of government were you referring to in this quote?

Quote from: Josquius on February 29, 2024, 07:24:45 AMYeah, I've heard of this London one before. It was good, but...London. The government cares about London and things actually work the way they're meant to there.

It sounded like you were saying the central government cares about London vs say the rest of the country.  Otherwise it seems weird if you were saying the local government in London cares more about its constituents than local government in other parts of the country care about their own constituents.

Local government is reliant on central government for its funding. It also ultimately exists under central government's oversight.
Local government can get away with/is forced to provide a lot less in places central government doesn't care about.

a) Central govt does not fund individual planning enforcement actions
b) Costs on successful planning enforcement actions are recoverable from the offender
c) Central government has zero oversight over planning enforcement by local planning authorities

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on March 01, 2024, 09:58:27 AM]

b) Costs on successful planning enforcement actions are recoverable from the offender
c) Central government has zero oversight over planning enforcement by local planning authorities

I never said contrary to any of this.
Central government does however fund local authories, who have to pay for their planning department among many other priorities; and police forces and fire brigades.

Do you really think an identical arson case would usually go exactly the same way in a well funded local authority served by effective emergency services, to one where the LA is in critically the red and emergency services similarly a skeleton of what they should be?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on March 01, 2024, 11:13:09 AM

Central government does however fund local authories, who have to pay for their planning department among many other priorities; and police forces and fire brigades.

Do you really think an identical arson case would usually go exactly the same way in a well funded local authority served by effective emergency services, to one where the LA is in critically the red and emergency services similarly a skeleton of what they should be?

I have to say I now don't understand the claim you're trying to make. Are you suggesting that the police are ineffective outside of well funded local governments? And I think you might be suggesting that that is purposeful?

I'm just not following your point.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2024, 02:46:48 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 01, 2024, 11:13:09 AM

I have to say I now don't understand the claim you're trying to make. Are you suggesting that the police are ineffective outside of well funded local governments? And I think you might be suggesting that that is purposeful?

I'm just not following your point.

How purposeful it is, and on whose part... It's a topic of discussion. Certainly the tories have weaponised austerity. The data shows this, with extra cuts put on opposition held councils. Let's then continue to pretend everything is the others fault.

But it stretches back to before austerity.
 What is deemed acceptable in the north would never be accepted in London.

For instance in a highly visible example  the government refusing to fund basic maintainance for the  Tyne Bridge where the Hammersmith Bridges issues were jumped on right away.
But most of this happens in far less tangible areas.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

What? The Hammersmith bridge has been closed to motor traffic for 5 years. The business case for funding repairs has been stuck with the department of transport for 2.5 years and still no decision. How is that jumping on the issues right away?

Gups

Meanwhile the Tyne Bridge repairs are underway with the Department for Transport providing about 80% of the funding.

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/26870/Tyne-Bridge-restoration-funding-confirmed

You must live in some kind of alternative reality Jos