Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

HVC

Give it to harry. Start up another inheritance war between France and England. Tradition!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on March 14, 2024, 01:14:51 PM

Not too late to correct an historic mistake. :shifty:
Macron would be make a terrific Emperor!

The Brits can have him, as long as France gets rids of him.  :P

Sheilbh

Fevered speculation about the health of the Princess of Wales with rumours of marital discord and palace plots against her. I'm not sure we need to go back centuries - plus ca change.

Separately Vaughan Gething won the Welsh Labour leadership race making him the first black leader of a European nation. Also means that the PM and First Ministers of all the nations in GB are minorities - as is the mayor of London with the largest direct mandate in the country...and the First Minister (very different role admittedly) is a Republican. Which is a pretty rapid shift given that I don't think there was even a black or Asian cabinet minister until the early 2000s.

Also I think this is possibly peak NIMBY (via the Mail) :lol: :bleeding:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13201297/Angry-mob-pensioners-press-against-windows-bang-glass-protest-against-care-home.html

Very Night of the Nearly Dead in Father Ted vibes.

Edit: Also I think again this is something going on in English speaking countries. I saw there's a push from people who moved into the nightlife centre of Dublin to now have licenses revoked or shortened through noise complaints and there's been similar here - in my view if you like a quiet night's sleep simply do not live in Dalston or Soho or Temple Bar. I feel like there's something in the way we've set up local democracy that is just very squeaky wheel focused so vastly empowers people who actually respond on consultation or make complaints - who are overwhelmingly likely to be angry about or oppose something. And perhaps relatedly, pensioners have a lot of time on their hands...:hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

:lol:

"Quiet down the nightlife district" has been very much a thing in Budapest as well although I think mostly there it's people who lived there before it became the stomping ground of British stag parties and the like.

HVC

I don't think it's anglos, it's millennials for cases like that. It's cheaper, because of the noise, so it's all they can afford, and then they complain.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Isn't a "care home" the kind of place a good many of them may well end up in soon? :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 17, 2024, 03:52:02 PMIsn't a "care home" the kind of place a good many of them may well end up in soon? :hmm:
Yes. They will also complain that there's none near them/that they're too expensive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Yes it's annoying.
Randomly saw a story recently from somewhere down south (Canterbury?) with a local councillor whinging about how a developer planned to up the amount of houses it was planning to build in an area.
She tried to spin it of course as them just seeking profits by cramming houses in.
But... This is what you need to do you silly woman!

Really hope the next government figures out how to cripple this kind of thing.
I keep meaning to be a pro yimby and trawl these proposals adding my support. But planning portal sites are just so shit.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

In Vienna they built new apartments near a long established concert venue that also features open air concerts in summer. The venue almost had to shut down due to noise complaints and because it couldn't afford to modernize their setup to lower the noise pollution. The city stepped in to finance a new sound system in the end.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2024, 11:20:35 PMIn Vienna they built new apartments near a long established concert venue that also features open air concerts in summer. The venue almost had to shut down due to noise complaints and because it couldn't afford to modernize their setup to lower the noise pollution. The city stepped in to finance a new sound system in the end.

Not everyone wants to hear sound after long hours of work, no matter how pleasant it might otherwise be.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2024, 10:08:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2024, 11:20:35 PMIn Vienna they built new apartments near a long established concert venue that also features open air concerts in summer. The venue almost had to shut down due to noise complaints and because it couldn't afford to modernize their setup to lower the noise pollution. The city stepped in to finance a new sound system in the end.

Not everyone wants to hear sound after long hours of work, no matter how pleasant it might otherwise be.

So don't get a flat near a concert hall.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on March 18, 2024, 10:10:56 AM

An ironic (or perhaps ignorant - Grumbler will hopefully tell me which word is more correct) comment made in a thread dedicated to discussing the dramatic rise in property prices due, in large part, to a lack of supply.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2024, 11:00:28 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 18, 2024, 10:10:56 AM

An ironic (or perhaps ignorant - Grumbler will hopefully tell me which word is more correct) comment made in a thread dedicated to discussing the dramatic rise in property prices due, in large part, to a lack of supply.

There the expression beggars can't be choosers would apply - especially don't get what you can then try to twist it to suit what you'd rather have by wrecking other people's setup.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Ah, I see.  Noise bylaws are there just to protect the wealthy. 

You are an odd bird Jos. 

Gups

Those local planning authorities seeking to protect their nighttime economies are requiring developers to impose lease terms preventing objections of this sort by purchasers/tenants of the new built residential properties.