Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2016, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2016, 09:16:35 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 01, 2016, 08:53:58 AM
So the plan is tariffs, passports, and visas. Yay!

To be fair that's a gross over simplification, there was no plan, there is no plan, there never will be a plan.   :bowler:
internet graphic meme

I was sort of expecting someone to fill in the blank at the end of my post, though I'm of the opinion that most people in the UK, be they politicians or the public, are temperamentally incapable of muddling through.
The generations capable of doing that are all nearly all dead.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

"Take back control" has to be one of the most unintentionally ironic slogans in political history.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Just found this

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I don't care.  I loved it and wanted to share with the class.  You know, you don't have to participate, young lady.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2016, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2016, 09:16:35 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 01, 2016, 08:53:58 AM
So the plan is tariffs, passports, and visas. Yay!

To be fair that's a gross over simplification, there was no plan, there is no plan, there never will be a plan.   :bowler:

:lol:
My mantra for life
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 01, 2016, 10:03:13 AM
I don't care.  I loved it and wanted to share with the class.  You know, you don't have to participate, young lady.

It was already shared with the class though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

alfred russel

I hadn't seen it and I appreciated it, CdM.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Richard Hakluyt

Berkut

Could there possibly be a better possible real life argument for the fundamental idea that mass democracy is a terribly bad idea?

I've always been of the opinion that the biggest problem with direct democracy is the violation of minority rights that happens when 5 wolves and 3 sheep vote on whats for dinner.

But I've mostly been a "believer" in the idea that by and large humans tend to make reasonable decisions. Indeed, one can argue that the wolves voting for mutton ARE making a reasonable decision for themselves.

But this really challenges that - an electorate making a incredibly important decision on the basis of a outright rejection of rationality and reasonableness.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

How so?

I don't really get all the American sadness and, given your national attitude to sovereignty, lack of understanding about people wanting to leave a supra-national body that can overrule constitutions.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2016, 11:07:58 AM
How so?

I don't really get all the American sadness and, given your national attitude to sovereignty, lack of understanding about people wanting to leave a supra-national body that can overrule constitutions.

Berkut and I do not speak for all Americans :P

Many, if not most, Americans are cheering Brexit on. Cal and Spicey for example.

Of course our government was initially a supra-national government that overruled constitutions. Until, at some point historians bicker over, it went from being a supra-national government and became a national one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

How so?

Which is kind of silly. You have the House of Lords, heck you have a monarch. But semi-unelected, handcuffed-by-vetoes EU decision makers are the ones putting the simple people down? Come on.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on July 01, 2016, 11:13:02 AM
How so?

Which is kind of silly. You have the House of Lords, heck you have a monarch. But semi-unelected, handcuffed-by-vetoes EU decision makers are the ones putting the simple people down? Come on.

Don't be silly. Sure they have all these vestigial things but the country is a single house parliamentary state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."