Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Yeah. And the constitutional change, which is necessary from am EU perspective, is that the courts are allowed to overrule Parliament to implement EU law. Which, for our system, was an enormous shift and again was around the time of the early nineties, like Maastricht, when British Euroscepticism started.

Edit: And like many of the more dramatic demonstrations of the EU's reach it came from the wholly unelected, wholly political ECJ.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

I guess with the introduction of citizenship and a charter of rights we gave the EU citizens a stake in the whole. Without that, I would argue that EU membership is not a right, so there is no issue at all removing it via referendum. Now that individuals will lose rights they had, I find it harder to defend a referendum on that.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2016, 11:18:05 AM
reach it came from the wholly unelected, wholly political ECJ.

I don't see any problems with wholly unelected and wholly political courts over-ruling laws. :P

But actually would you rather an elected one did? I thought people tended to frown on our elected judges.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2016, 11:18:05 AM
Yeah. And the constitutional change, which is necessary from am EU perspective, is that the courts are allowed to overrule Parliament to implement EU law. Which, for our system, was an enormous shift and again was around the time of the early nineties, like Maastricht, when British Euroscepticism started.

Edit: And like many of the more dramatic demonstrations of the EU's reach it came from the wholly unelected, wholly political ECJ.

I am sorry for my prejudices but I very much doubt the pro-Leave demographics of the old, the uneducated, and the poor, constitutional particularities trumped "bloody immigrants" and "up yours!" as main reasons to vote Leave.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on July 01, 2016, 11:18:18 AM
I guess with the introduction of citizenship and a charter of rights we gave the EU citizens a stake in the whole. Without that, I would argue that EU membership is not a right, so there is no issue at all removing it via referendum. Now that individuals will lose rights they had, I find it harder to defend a referendum on that.

The EU explicitly allows for the secession of member states.

If you find a referendum followed by a parliamentary vote hard to defend as a basis for secession, what do you think is a legitimate path to secession?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

We (and Poland) opted out of the Charter of Fundamental Rights (though the CJEU rulings have raised doubts about the legal effectiveness of the opt out).

Also it was constantly repeated that it wasn't creating any new rights that weren't already enforceable via the ECHR, it was just creating another more accessible forum. This was probably always wrong as I believe the CFR has about 40 provisions to the ECHR'S 10 or so. I don't believe there have been many rulings by the CJEU since, but as I said the ones that have come out do seem to be creating new rights and in areas where the ECtHR has a body of rulings the CJEU does eem to be mostly ignoring it I could be wrong but the impression I get is there's a bit of jurisdictional dick-waving going on.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2016, 11:26:18 AM

If you find a referendum followed by a parliamentary vote hard to defend as a basis for secession, what do you think is a legitimate path to secession?
I think secession is legtitimate and I also think a referendum is a legitimate way to decide on it. That said, I would still like to see minority right protections as a side condition. If Theresa May now questions whether the rights of EU citizens in Britain would be protected even after a Brexit, it makes me at least rather suspicious.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on July 01, 2016, 11:37:46 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2016, 11:26:18 AM

I think secession is legtitimate and I also think a referendum is a legitimate way to decide on it. That said, I would still like to see minority right protections as a side condition. If Theresa May now questions whether the rights of EU citizens in Britain would be protected even after a Brexit, it makes me at least rather suspicious.

She's playing to her 'constituency'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

If Theresa May now questions whether the rights of EU citizens in Britain would be protected even after a Brexit, it makes me at least rather suspicious.

What did she say? I was hoping we immigrants would not be thrown to the dogs straight at the start of the Tory infighting.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2016, 11:11:28 AM
Berkut and I do not speak for all Americans :P

Many, if not most, Americans are cheering Brexit on. Cal and Spicey for example.

I think it was silly and stupid, but it took guts and guts is enough.

It's times like this that remind me of my favorite part of the Iran-Contra hearings, when Senator Warren Rudman (R-NH) took Oliver North back to 9th grade Civics class.

Col. North, finally everyone else has had something to say to you. I have something to take -- take some difference of opinion with you on, and it's in your statement that you delivered here last Thursday morning. You said about the Congress, "I suggest to you that it's the Congress which must accept the blame on the Nicaraguan freedom-fighting matter. Plain and simple, you are to blame because of the fickle, vacillating, unpredictable on-again, off-again policy towards the resistance." You're entitled to your view, but I . . . want to share some of my views with you.

It's interesting that national polling data over the course of the last three years have shown that -- in the latest Harris poll in June, 74 to 22 {percent of the} people in this country oppose aid to the contras . . . . And that is why this Congress has been fickle and vacillating.

Now you may suggest that some of us voted anyway, even though it's against what our constituents believe. But I want to point out to you, Col. North, that the Constitution starts with the words, "We the people." There is no way you can carry out a consistent policy if we the people disagree with it, because this Congress represents the people . . . .

I guess the last thing I want to say to you, colonel, is that the American people have the constitutional right to be wrong. And what Ronald Reagan thinks or what Oliver North thinks or what I think or what anybody else thinks makes not a wit, if the American people say, "Enough." And that's why this Congress has been fickle and has vacillated -- that is correct. But, not because the people here necessarily believe differently than you do. But there comes a point that the views of the American people have to be heard.

These will be words to think about when President Trump is sworn in.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 01, 2016, 11:51:09 AM
If Theresa May now questions whether the rights of EU citizens in Britain would be protected even after a Brexit, it makes me at least rather suspicious.

What did she say? I was hoping we immigrants would not be thrown to the dogs straight at the start of the Tory infighting.

It's sort of the 'logical' conclusion to playing to that crowd, those Brexit voters and the ones in the Tory party who'll vote for her; they want a significant number of EU citizens/migrants to leave England.

Sorry Tamas, but that's what it amounts to, just hope it doesn't get too ugly for those on the sharp end.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

It is nasty but it is also leverage/hard-ball.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2016, 12:00:59 PM

So get the EU to do what you want by threatening their nationals? Bold move.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2016, 12:14:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2016, 12:00:59 PM

So get the EU to do what you want by threatening their nationals? Bold move.

If the EU is going to act all shitty you might as well hold it as a bargaining chip.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

It was just mentioned in passing, as I say I didn't notice first time round. I think it's just a marker that depending in how negotiations go that subject may be opened too.
Let's bomb Russia!