Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 30, 2016, 04:55:23 PM
Amusing that despite all the vacancies, Corbyn has prioritized maintaining a full complement of whips.

There's a quote upstream from a whip to the effect it's not a resignable position, or  something like that.

alfred russel

Quote from: PJL on June 30, 2016, 04:43:16 PM
I don't recall any republics ever being that Christian....

I doubt Sarko really wants France to be all that Christian. Probably being Christian is really more about not being Muslim.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 30, 2016, 04:55:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2016, 04:40:28 PM
All MEPs and most MSPs have now called for Corbyn to go.

Amusing that despite all the vacancies, Corbyn has prioritized maintaining a full complement of whips.
I believe that the whips are officially neutral in leadership battles.

Until Ed Miliband the Labour PLP used to elect the Shadow Cabinet (which had led to some utter non-entities who were popular ending up as Ministers). Ed Miliband got rid of that, but I think it's still kept for the Chief Whip. Rosie Winterton won it unopposed in 2010 and I think kept it in 2015 or, as she's a known Corbyn-sceptic, it was seen as a coup that he got her to carry on.

But technically they serve the entire PLP. I think, as with Tom Watson having a decent roster, a lot of those whips are there for loyalty to her and, as with Tom Watson, I think she has an independent mandate.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 30, 2016, 04:59:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2016, 02:54:57 PM
On the economy in general FTSE reacted to Carney's speech tonight and it turns out they like stimulus more than they fear uncertainty

But IIRC the Leavers want to take down Carney as well.  :glare:
Only the Faragiste wing and even his MP disagrees.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

I think of the UK as a center left country--with the Conservatives enabled by the split of the left of center vote by the Lib Dems and Labour and a FPtP voting system (I know there are more parties and it is a bit more complex). Seems odd that the Conservatives are now in such a dominant position even with their own turmoil, but I suspect that is far more precarious than it seems at the moment.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Good coherent overview of the Brexit roadmap: http://thebrexitplan.com/

mongers

Seems one of the more immediate Brexit effects, is to draw back estrange posters to Languish.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Income tax octopus tractor! :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 30, 2016, 05:20:34 PM
Seems one of the more immediate Brexit effects, is to draw back estrange posters to Languish.  :cool:

I'd rather have my money.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Zanza on June 30, 2016, 04:21:04 PM
It's unclear to me how many of the EU leaders are "hard" Brexiteers. I could imagine a lot of people in the EU not willing to even offer the UK a Norway-like deal. Especially not if Britain makes clear upfront that it is just an intermediate stage towards yet another deal.

I think while those sentiments may be there now, I think historically the EU has trended towards going to the reasonable option on tough decisions. I also think Norway is the "long game" for the EU. If you legit refuse to give Britain such a status, and relegate them to negotiating a U.S. style free trade deal then I think it closes the door on future reentry--remember the younger Brits would likely want back in when they're a majority. There's also peril in the complete divorce--what happens if Britain's economy does well? Britain is right now prettt well positioned economically because it's insulated to a degree from the Eurozone's problems. What if there's another economic crisis in Europe and independent Britain looks comparatively much better off. That suddenly is the EU's Federalists' worst nightmare--a living example that not only is leaving possible, you can thrive outside the EU.

I think the reason I so strongly believe Norway-status is the likely outcome is it's the least risk option available. When you subject things to a referendum like Britain has stupidly done anything can happen, but when you're negotiating things among national leaders I think cooler heads tend to prevail.

Valmy

Quote from: PJL on June 30, 2016, 04:43:16 PM
I don't recall any republics ever being that Christian....

Nor do I recall Clovis having anything to do with them :P

Yeah the Republican movement was anti-Catholic before it was even a Republican movement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Since I earn my money in foreign currency I've been keeping an eye on the pound for over a year.
It really was a case of every time something appears in the news that is positive for the leave campaign the pound would drop.
Yet. ..
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2016, 06:00:21 PM

I think the reason I so strongly believe Norway-status is the likely outcome is it's the least risk option available. When you subject things to a referendum like Britain has stupidly done anything can happen, but when you're negotiating things among national leaders I think cooler heads tend to prevail.

But a Norway deal requires free movement of people and a very significant financial contribution. Impossible to see how that could be acceptable - it wold clearly breach the spirit of the referendum result.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on July 01, 2016, 02:23:07 AM

But a Norway deal requires free movement of people and a very significant financial contribution. Impossible to see how that could be acceptable - it wold clearly breach the spirit of the referendum result.

Presumably the will of the people could change between now and whenever a Brexit actually takes place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2016, 02:44:54 AM
Quote from: Gups on July 01, 2016, 02:23:07 AM

Presumably the will of the people could change between now and whenever a Brexit actually takes place.

Well, so what if it does (or indeed already has)? Unless we have another referendum, how can that be established. And if it is somehow established, why leave at all?

Collectively, as a nation, we have made our bed and must lie in it. It's politically impossible for any trade deal to allow free movement. If that means we get a crappy trade deal, then tough titties.