Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2016, 12:17:20 PM
Will the elimination of relaxed employment-based EU migration policies do anything for housing and rental costs in England?

Leaving the EU will obviously be terrible for the UK in every way. I think "every way" includes housing and rental costs. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 11:32:46 AM
Is Britain not growing population wise? I thought the thing that made the British so angry was that too many people wanted to move and work there.

Only at 0.54%.

LaCroix

Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2016, 12:06:31 PMI think Norway and Switzerland are doing far better than surviving.

dude, I think it's reasonable to argue britain is going to, in the long run, weather the storm and be fine (albeit less better off). but, if this is what you're saying, you're hurting your point with the comparisons to norway and switzerland.

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 11:32:46 AM
Is Britain not growing population wise? I thought the thing that made the British so angry was that too many people wanted to move and work there.

I think comparative growth between periods is interesting here -

Just looking at the figures (source: British population chart from google) it took from 1972 to 2005 for the population to grow from 56 million to 60 million.

It took from 2005 to 2013 to grow from 60 million to 64 million - despite (or perhaps because of) the financial crisis.

It may look small in year on year percentage terms but it makes quite a difference at street level.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2016, 12:19:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2016, 12:17:20 PM
Will the elimination of relaxed employment-based EU migration policies do anything for housing and rental costs in England?

Leaving the EU will obviously be terrible for the UK in every way. I think "every way" includes housing and rental costs. :)

I'm just curious if, by substantially reducing the ability of well-earning non-English professionals from the real estate picture, there would be any relief for those outrageous prices, where 6 people have to share a 200 sq ft "flat" as "flatmates."

Sheilbh

Hell of a detail on Gove's move in addition to taking Boris's campaign chair, he'd also lined up 40 of the 90 MPs who'd agreed to back Boris. Apparently he was being helped by Osborne. All at 0902 when the deadline for nominations was noon.

I'm not saying Tories are evil, but when I see their relish and ruthlessness in a leadership struggle I feel they need a David Attenborough voiceover.

Also all five Tory leadership candidates were state educated.
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

Quote from: Agelastus on June 30, 2016, 12:35:27 PMI think comparative growth between periods is interesting here -

Just looking at the figures (source: British population chart from google) it took from 1972 to 2005 for the population to grow from 56 million to 60 million.

It took from 2005 to 2013 to grow from 60 million to 64 million - despite (or perhaps because of) the financial crisis.

It may look small in year on year percentage terms but it makes quite a difference at street level.

this was net migration from joining the EU

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2016, 12:45:27 PM
I'm not saying Tories are evil, but when I see their relish and ruthlessness in a leadership struggle I feel they need a David Attenborough voiceover.

:lol:

Or at least David Mitchell.

QuoteAlso all five Tory leadership candidates were state educated.

Definitely David Mitchell.

garbon

I saw Gove said he's repeatedly said he doesn't want to be PM. Then don't? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2016, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2016, 12:45:27 PM

:lol:

Or at least David Mitchell.

QuoteAlso all five Tory leadership candidates were state educated.

Definitely David Mitchell.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

My understanding is Britain's housing crisis is largely that not nearly enough new housing units are built in Britain, for a variety of reasons, a decent portion of the blame goes to councils and planning policies.

Zanza

Reducing the EU to the economy is a mistake in my opinion. There is a lot of cooperation in lots of other policy areas that is coordinated and enacted with the institutional framework of the EU. Leaving the EU means you don't just leave the single market, you also leave all those other areas of cooperation. I find it pretty sad that the British reduced the EU to net payments, freedom of movement and free trade. :(

Zanza

So how are the chances of Gove versus May? Gove is characterized in the German press as a "hard" Brexiteer, meaning he will gladly give up single market membership over freedom of movement, whereas May is characterized as a "soft" Brexiteer, meaning she would likely go for some kind of deal that preserves more the UK's EU membership. They also suggest that Gove felt betrayed by Johnson's dithering in the last days.

OttoVonBismarck

Gove appears to have grabbed most of those who supported Johnson in terms of MPs, I think May was seen as decently likely to beat Boris even before this, now that Gove has pushed Boris out I have to think his odds of beating May are longer.

Admiral Yi

Who gets to vote for Tory party leader?