Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 26, 2016, 02:07:28 AM
Just to add to the shit pile that is UK politics right now: there are claims going around that the Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly might have a veto over Brexit legislation. If true, this could trigger an even more severe constitutional crisis.

Due to Parliamentary supremacy they really don't, Westminster may "allow" them to have one, though. One of the problems for Britain keeping Scotland (and also why people not living London are sometimes exasperate with Westminster) is the lack of real permanent power anything other than the Parliament in Westminster has. In Germany or America the states are immutable facts, and the Federal governments can no more remove them they can could the Sun.

Sheilbh

Incidentally actual turnout of 18-24 year olds was higher, though still only 36% :bleeding:

Also the Bregret meme seems to be bollocks. Polling of voters says only 1% of Leave voters are unhappy, 92% are happy. I imagine every one of that one percent will have been interviewed by the Guardian and Indy by now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 26, 2016, 03:41:20 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on June 26, 2016, 02:07:28 AM
Just to add to the shit pile that is UK politics right now: there are claims going around that the Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly might have a veto over Brexit legislation. If true, this could trigger an even more severe constitutional crisis.

Due to Parliamentary supremacy they really don't, Westminster may "allow" them to have one, though. One of the problems for Britain keeping Scotland (and also why people not living London are sometimes exasperate with Westminster) is the lack of real permanent power anything other than the Parliament in Westminster has. In Germany or America the states are immutable facts, and the Federal governments can no more remove them they can could the Sun.
The German constitution actually has a procedure to merge or split states and that is one of the very few things where our constitution necessitates a referendum. Berlin and Brandenburg were meant to merge in the 1990s, but the people of Brandenburg rejected this.

Sheilbh

Cracking resignation letter by Chris Bryant:

At this point, given Corbyn's stubbornness and the Corbyn team's determination to hold on, I really do wonder if the Labour Party might split? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

America can actually merge or split states as well, but it's not really happened more than once (Virginia split off West Virginia.) North and South Carolina split, but it was in the colonial era.

Agelastus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 26, 2016, 03:48:30 PM
America can actually merge or split states as well, but it's not really happened more than once (Virginia split off West Virginia.) North and South Carolina split, but it was in the colonial era.

Doesn't Texas have the right to split itself, or something similar?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Agelastus on June 26, 2016, 03:55:16 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 26, 2016, 03:48:30 PM

Doesn't Texas have the right to split itself, or something similar?

Perhaps, it's never been rigorously tested. Under the ordinary process, two states could merge or a state could split as long as the state legislature(s) and congress approved of the move. The legislation admitting the Republic of Texas into the United States said that Texas could sub-divide itself in up to five states. "As long as it met the requirements of the Federal constitution." Some have read that to mean Texas's position is essentially no different from any other State--it could split, but it'd require another vote in congress. Others view the 1845 resolution as tantamount to a "pre-approval" so that it would only require the Texas legislature to enact it.

Even if that were the case, since Congress is not bound by previous acts of Congress, if it was ever felt this might happen undesirably the Congress could just pass legislation specifically making it known that Texas doesn't have pre-approval and would have to go through the same process as any other state to split up.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2016, 03:48:20 PM
At this point, given Corbyn's stubbornness and the Corbyn team's determination to hold on, I really do wonder if the Labour Party might split? :mellow:

Since he was first elected, he's been a stubborn git. Principles before Party?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Thing that pisses me off is it's not even principles. It's his pride and his purity that matters, that he can say to himself he never compromised and never shared a stage with Cameron :bleeding:

Edit: See, for example, his response:

He's from the hard-left. For them control of a much reduced Labour party is a bigger victory than anything :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2016, 01:47:28 PM
As I say it's a revolution at the minute. Absolute vacuum of power into which, with some panache, steps Nicola Sturgeon :(

I would like Nicola if she wasn't always plotting the demise of the UK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Is democratic election always such a buzzword in the UK? Labour keeps throwing that around.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2016, 04:17:13 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2016, 01:47:28 PM
As I say it's a revolution at the minute. Absolute vacuum of power into which, with some panache, steps Nicola Sturgeon :(

I would like Nicola if she wasn't always plotting the demise of the UK.

Strangely enough, I agree with you here; she's certainly a different kettle-of-fish in my mind to Salmond.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2016, 03:45:56 PM
Incidentally actual turnout of 18-24 year olds was higher, though still only 36% :bleeding:

Also the Bregret meme seems to be bollocks. Polling of voters says only 1% of Leave voters are unhappy, 92% are happy. I imagine every one of that one percent will have been interviewed by the Guardian and Indy by now.

Shelf, thanks for tracking that figure down, not doomsday bad, but still dreadful.

Maybe reality tv and social media consumption has blinded many to the wider world they live in?   :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

One thing that's interesting to me about that Corbin note is he seems to be more or less conceding that his conception of Labour is not as a governing party but rather an advocate for "his people."  Which I suppose is something like peaceniks living on the dole.

OttoVonBismarck

Corbyn reminds me of a British Sanders, and in a bad way.