Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

fromtia

Quote from: Zanza on June 26, 2016, 12:37:08 PM
Could the Blairites in Labour join forces with the LibDems if Corbyn stays on?

They could leave Labour and admit that they are really Lib Dems. Or Conservatives.  :P
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on June 26, 2016, 12:37:08 PM
Could the Blairites in Labour join forces with the LibDems if Corbyn stays on?
There's only been one Blairite resignation :lol:

Up to eleven now but this is coming from all wings of Labour except Corbyn's. I don't see how he can survive they can just start with the shadow junior minister resignations every hour tomorrow.

The Labour deputy leader (who orchestrated the coup against Blair) has released a statement that couldn't be more stabby in its intentions if it tried :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

fromtia

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2016, 01:35:25 PM

There's only been one Blairite resignation :lol:

Up to eleven now but this is coming from all wings of Labour except Corbyn's. I don't see how he can survive they can just start with the shadow junior minister resignations every hour tomorrow.

The Labour deputy leader (who orchestrated the coup against Blair) has released a statement that couldn't be more stabby in its intentions if it tried :lol:

It's a cross party festival of train wrecks. I have no idea which way to look to see the next one. It'll be along in an hour or so.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Sheilbh

As I say it's a revolution at the minute. Absolute vacuum of power into which, with some panache, steps Nicola Sturgeon :(
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Osborne seems to be having his Stalin June '41 moment.

edit:

Maybe it was inauspicious to have the referendum vote 75 years and a day since the start of Barbarossa? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

QuoteCorbyn office 'sabotaged' EU Remain campaign - sources

There have been concerns about Jeremy Corbyn's performance for months and months. But it was his role, or lack of role, in the campaign to keep the UK in the EU, and his sacking of Hilary Benn in the middle of the night, that has given members of the shadow cabinet the final reasons to quit. Several have already gone; as many as half will be gone by the end of the day, I understand.
And documents passed to the BBC suggest Jeremy Corbyn's office sought to delay and water down the Labour Remain campaign. Sources suggest that they are evidence of "deliberate sabotage".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36633238

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2016, 01:47:28 PM
As I say it's a revolution at the minute. Absolute vacuum of power into which, with some panache, steps Nicola Sturgeon :(

What are the chances of Britain getting a Pirate Party or a 5 Star movement type party?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Jeremy Corbyn's devotion to his own purity was an issue. It didn't lose the thing but it was pretty outrageous:
http://www.politico.eu/article/how-david-cameron-lost-brexit-eu-referendum-prime-minister-campaign-remain-boris-craig-oliver-jim-messina-obama/
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2016, 02:23:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2016, 01:47:28 PM

What are the chances of Britain getting a Pirate Party or a 5 Star movement type party?
Maybe? Unlikely with FPTP, but who knows. Also I think we'll probably have an election in October/November, so there may not be time for that sort of party to be formed.

The Lib Dems might do well again - as the only party not having a crisis and having a unified position on Europe :lol:

My current guess is we'll end up with a Norwegian deal in some scenario like this:
Tories choose a liberal leaver/untarnished remainer - probably not Boris. Win an election over Corbyn or his most likely successor (someone who can steady the ship but then hand over to a new generation).
Their focus is economics and trade. Immigration was a lever to get the rest of the country to care about their esoteric obsession. They wanted to leave to do other trade deals and the posher wing of the anti-EU movement has always obsessed about sovereignty above all else - the ECJ, the 'ever closer union', the flag, the anthem.
They'll probably go for something like Norway status - EEA single market access including free movement.
UKIP scream bloody murder about the betrayal on immigration and surge in the polls to, maybe, the high 20s.
Most of that part of the UKIP vote is in Labour heartlands so it mainly affects them leaving Labour in continued disarray.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The trouble with Norway status is that it is a pretty poor deal compared to the one we have now  :hmm:

I shall vote LibDem in the next election of course, as I usually do, much good that has done.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 26, 2016, 02:28:01 PM
Speculation mounts as to Osborne's whereabouts :

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/has-anyone-seen-chancellor-george-osborne-lately--byqiBzW0NW
I think it's a disgrace the way he and Cameron have behaved. It's entirely right that Cameron resigned but he's still PM and Osborne's Chancellor. They should have been all over the news this weekend saying reassuring things about what'll happen and reminding people there is a government - that is how our system is meant to work after all <_<

By the by I had a peak Brexit weekend. Went down to Lewes (a metropolitan Remain island in a sea of Leave). Walking through the town and was confronted with a dance off of at least three gangs of Morris dancers. Then did a country walk to a nearby village and its pub. Watched a bit of cricket on the green.

Today went down to Beachy Head and wandered along the white cliffs :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 26, 2016, 02:37:32 PM
The trouble with Norway status is that it is a pretty poor deal compared to the one we have now  :hmm:
Arguably. I know someone who does a lot of work with Norwegians who all sent texts basically saying 'you've made the right choice' - he was a Remain voter though :lol:

I'm not so sure, as someone who is intensely relaxed about immigration. I actually think it'd probably make sense for this to be the sort of status that countries like us and Denmark and Sweden who, practically speaking, will never join the Euro should get, while countries who join the EU sign up for the whole project.

Edit:
QuoteI shall vote LibDem in the next election of course, as I usually do, much good that has done.
Well if they can't make a go of being a pro-immigration, pro-EU free-market-with-a-social-conscience party now then they're really fucked :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The best way to stop immigration is to become a poor country. We have (had?) this huge problem which other countries would call being successful  :hmm:

Love that walk from Beachy Head to Cuckmere Haven, but perhaps you didn't get that far.