Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

Unless I misread earlier, there's also the fact that the two year clock starts ticking once you invoke 50.

Tamas

I wonder if "Bregret" (:bleeding:) is really such a big thing, or Remain-favouring journalists' wishful thinking turns it into a big thing.

Tim's quote has a good point, I was saying I was hoping Cameron resigns following a Leave victory, to bury Boris under the crappile of his own making.

Whoever will be PM during the years of Brexit will be unpopular and finished politically because it will be impossible to stop the the political chaos and general uncertainty.

If there is going to be a new election, why won't somebody like the Libdems say that if they form a government they will NOT invoke Article 50? It's not like their support could get much worse, but such a position could be seen as a quick way of the ensuing chaos by many voters.

Also I wonder if this event will be the eventual undoing of both major parties: fault lines in British politics will be even less along these partylines than they have been before: it will be around proper leaving (drop the EU trade deal just so they can stop free movement of workers) and pretend leaving, mostly, also over fighting to keep the UK together or building Glorious England, etc.

LaCroix

I'd like to hear agelastus's thoughts now that he's had a few days  :hmm:

Hamilcar

Just to add to the shit pile that is UK politics right now: there are claims going around that the Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly might have a veto over Brexit legislation. If true, this could trigger an even more severe constitutional crisis.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2016, 01:45:04 AM
If there is going to be a new election, why won't somebody like the Libdems say that if they form a government they will NOT invoke Article 50? It's not like their support could get much worse, but such a position could be seen as a quick way of the ensuing chaos by many voters.
The LibDems have already announced that they will run on a pro-EU platform in the next general election.

Zanza

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 26, 2016, 02:07:28 AM
Just to add to the shit pile that is UK politics right now: there are claims going around that the Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly might have a veto over Brexit legislation. If true, this could trigger an even more severe constitutional crisis.
What about the Birmingham city council?

barkdreg

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on June 26, 2016, 02:27:44 AM
What about the Birmingham city council?

Or the West Staines Massif?

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2016, 10:56:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2016, 10:25:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2016, 07:54:06 PM
The EU officials have said article 50 must be formally invoked in a speech or a letter before any talks can begin.

So that could mean they're saying no to extended informal discussions?

Chaps make your mind up time.   :bowler:

And if no politician is actually willing to do so, what will the EU do?

There doesn't seem to be a mechanism to kick them out.

How many large companies will be willing to make investments in UK operations with all of this uncertainty hanging around; it's very much in the UK's economic interest to get plans and timetables organised for an orderly exit.

We do not need a rout nor a Dunkirk, a strategic withdrawal is needed. 

Well it isn't like the uncertainty is good for the EU either. I think that's why they are pushing for the formal declaration.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

What an angry statement from Corbyn's spokesman.

QuoteThere will be no resignation of a democratically elected leader with a strong mandate from the membership
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2016, 02:58:16 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2016, 10:56:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2016, 10:25:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2016, 07:54:06 PM
The EU officials have said article 50 must be formally invoked in a speech or a letter before any talks can begin.

So that could mean they're saying no to extended informal discussions?

Chaps make your mind up time.   :bowler:

And if no politician is actually willing to do so, what will the EU do?

There doesn't seem to be a mechanism to kick them out.

How many large companies will be willing to make investments in UK operations with all of this uncertainty hanging around; it's very much in the UK's economic interest to get plans and timetables organised for an orderly exit.

We do not need a rout nor a Dunkirk, a strategic withdrawal is needed. 

Well it isn't like the uncertainty is good for the EU either. I think that's why they are pushing for the formal declaration.

There is nobody to make that declaration though. Cameron has said he won't do it so who can do it instead? We could always ask Mr Jones from no. 58 I suppose  :hmm:

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2016, 01:45:04 AM
I wonder if "Bregret" (:bleeding:) is really such a big thing, or Remain-favouring journalists' wishful thinking turns it into a big thing.

Maybe not huge.
But I bet it's enough to flip the results.
There really were an awful lot of people voting leave for shallow and idiotic reasons
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The UK's constitutional arrangement is such a mess.

Hamilcar

Quote from: celedhring on June 26, 2016, 03:22:33 AM

The UK's constitutional arrangement is such a mess.

As Goethe once said: "America, you have it better."

Agelastus

Quote from: LaCroix on June 26, 2016, 01:51:15 AM
I'd like to hear agelastus's thoughts now that he's had a few days  :hmm:

With my apologies, I'd like to delay fully responding to this until after the EU meeting in the week.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."