Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on November 28, 2019, 07:53:09 AM
Quote from: frunk on November 28, 2019, 07:49:13 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on November 28, 2019, 07:12:05 AM
Can't really blame them for a grim determination to get this over with.

If Brexit happens it's just the start of dealing with Brexit.  It doesn't get anything over with.

People seem to think that the deal has already resolved all the issues, and just placing a signature will magically restore the Empire.

Yep cloud-cuckoo land here now.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Three election leaflets so far. Two Labour, one Worker's Revolutionary Party.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2019, 03:27:21 PM
Three election leaflets so far. Two Labour, one Worker's Revolutionary Party.

Other than those, how many others have you delivered?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

SOMEONE CALL A DOCTOR CAUSE THIS BURN IS SICK
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

There's a lot of shadiness going on from the Tory campaign, but this is particularly striking given the earlier conversation about Facebook and political ads:
BBC tells Tories to take down Facebook ad featuring its presenters
Laura Kuenssberg and Huw Edwards footage could damage perception of impartiality, says corporation
Jim Waterson
Thu 28 Nov 2019 19.25 GMT
Last modified on Thu 28 Nov 2019 21.20 GMT

The BBC is demanding the Conservatives take down Facebook adverts featuring footage of its journalists Laura Kuenssberg and Huw Edwards, arguing that their inclusion could damage perceptions of the corporation's impartiality.

The paid-for advert uses footage of the BBC's political editor and the News at Ten host to argue that chaotic debates over Brexit can be avoided if people vote Conservative.

The short clip begins with Kuenssberg saying the words "pointless delay to Brexit", in footage taken from an archive news broadcast. Although the clip gives the impression it was the BBC political editor delivering that judgment, it appears she was actually quoting Boris Johnson's comments from September when he rejected a further extension to article 50.

Her appearance is followed by footage of Edwards – who will host the BBC's election night coverage – intoning that there will be "another Brexit delay", followed by shaky footage of opposition leaders accompanied by threatening music.

The BBC said its footage had been used without permission and asked the Conservatives to stop using the material in this manner. "This is a completely unacceptable use of BBC content which distorts our output and which could damage perceptions of our impartiality. We are asking the Conservatives to remove these adverts," it said.

In common with other intentionally provocative stunts pulled by the Conservatives during this campaign, such as rebranding their press office Twitter account as a fact checker, it is possible the party will welcome any press coverage that focuses attention on its message.

The advert had been running for 24 hours on both Facebook and its sister site Instagram by the time of the BBC's complaint. In this time it had been seen by around a 100,000 people and it remains live. The advert was targeted at older male voters, although it is possible the Conservatives intended to put more money behind it to reach a wider audience.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It really seems this election they've just accepted they're going to be charged with breaking a bunch of rules and decided the price is a bargain.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I think the bigger issue here is I'm not sure that breaks any rules. It's one of the issues with Facebook and Twitter etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

The climate debate shenanigans were...odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-news-live-boris-johnson-corbyn-andrew-neil-climate-debate-ice-polls-brexit-a9225591.html#post-1180202848

QuoteStanley Johnson has been speaking on the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme about the trust issues his son faces.

Replying to one viewer's comment describing the prime minister as "Pinocchio", Johnson Sr. replied: "Pinocchio? That requires a degree of literacy which the great British public doesn't necessarily have."

Asked what he meant, he said: "They couldn't spell Pinocchio if they tried, I should have thought."

Turning more serious he says: "I think it is utterly absurd and wrong that you can read out, on air, a tweet, coming in from one of your readers, on air, that calls the prime minister a liar. I think it's amazing you can do that."

Video: https://twitter.com/VictoriaLIVE/status/1200360662674763776?s=20
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

BoJo does Macron-style elitism, nice!  :D

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Hancock is a blithering idiot, comparable to Grayling.

Sheilbh

That might not be fair. I know a few people who've worked with him or his team while he was at DCMS and at Health (on the tech/data side) and they've all said he's pretty good and clearly on the detail.

I'm not convinced even Mrs Grayling would say that about Chris.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Ok, I suppose I am judging him on election campaign type appearances, which hardly show the best side of anyone.

Sheilbh

Fair. And Grayling is the Nureyev of incompetence so I'd only use that comparison for an enormous fuck up.
Let's bomb Russia!