Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Labour won't get a majority thus won't get to do much of what they want anyway.
My perfect outcome remains the same as last election, a progressive coalition. Though Labour do have a far better manifesto this time in their own right.

I stand by every decent human in the country who has the right to vote being obligated to vote for whoever stands the best chance of beating the Tories in their seat.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on December 03, 2019, 01:24:26 PM
I stand by every decent human in the country who has the right to vote being obligated to vote for whoever stands the best chance of beating the Tories in their seat.

You say that every election.  :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2019, 02:29:19 PM

They are becoming a deeper and deeper problem ;)

But seriously. They actually are a threat to the continued existence of the UK at the moment.  More so than voting SNP even a tory vote is a vote for the country's breakup. Not to mention the dodgy tory economics.

In the past, e.g. The euro election, I have voted for parties that don't stand a chance but who I'd prefer to support . But this time around... Even though the greens actually have somone in my seat for once the only moral choice is labour. Depending on the local situation in other seats this may change.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2019, 02:29:19 PM

He might not be wrong this time though -_-

I remember thinking it was cool the Tories were back in 2010, thinking this was the pre-1997 Tories. Well...I was very wrong. John Major is still alive, bring him back  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on December 03, 2019, 12:11:55 PM
But then, Opinium's last poll included in the results of one of their subsidiary questions that 27% of the public thought Boris Johnson was generally truthful, whereas only about 20% of the public thought that Jeremy Corbyn was generally truthful - bad for both leaders, really, given that this figure probably indicates that only 2/3 of their core vote thinks they are truthful, let alone opponents and neutrals. But also surprising given the sustained thread in online discussion that Boris Johnson is, and is regarded as, almost uniquely untrustworthy.
I don't think it's just online, I often think of this line from the FT last month:
Quote"I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth," said Jenny from Derbyshire, before cheerfully confirming that she would be voting for him.
But I wonder what the figures would be for "politicians" or "MPs" in general.

Though I agree with Garbo I don't think Corbyn is very often untruthful. Actually I think what causes him issues some times (Europe, anti-semitism) is he isn't generally willing to say something he doesn't believe so he just weasels.

QuoteThough Labour do have a far better manifesto this time in their own right.
It's not great. Like last time full of middle-class bungs which continues to annoy me and the IFS scoring found the Lib Dem manifesto the most progressive.

QuoteYou say that every election.  :D
And he's always right :contract:

At this election I would also have to add don't vote Labour :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I see a genuine problem with Corbyn is that he is too honest, as odd as it sounds. E.g. His half hearted 7/10 support for staying in the EU. He just can't bring himself to lie directly about his personal views if they don't align with party views.
He's very big on shades of grey and balanced answers, even when the sensible thing to do would be to give a simple yes or no.
He really does seem like a nice guy.
But.
He's rather shit at being a party leader.

I haven't bothered to look at the lib dem or green manifesto to be honest. I don't want to be tempted to waste my vote maybe? Or just I'm a bit busy away from politics.
I really do wish I could vote Green. My girlfriend gave me a few of her votes in the Swiss election and that's who I chose there.
Then again the British greens do have stupid views about trains.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

There are different versions of the Tories; I really don't mind the likes of Heseltine, Major, Clarke and Grieve; but the current bunch represent all the things about the tories that I dislike..............takes me back to 1982  :P

Richard Hakluyt

@Tyr....yeah, I trust Corbyn is generally telling the truth; I just don't like some of what i hear. But that is totally different to Johnson, his mendacity is so frequent there is not really any point in listening to what he has to say.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on December 03, 2019, 03:12:03 PM
He's very big on shades of grey and balanced answers, even when the sensible thing to do would be to give a simple yes or no.
I don't think it's shades of grey. I don't think Corbyn is particularly "on the one hand, on the other hand" type of a guy and I don't think he really does understand arguments from the right. My impression is he thinks they're generally just immoral - see the point on how to pay for WASPI.

But I agree I don't think he can pretend to be supportive of the EU, or properly respond on anti-semitism because of his personal views. So I think he's a little jesuitical in his responses.

QuoteHe really does seem like a nice guy.
Again disagree. I think he comes across as someone with a very short temper at being even slightly challenged. He, to me, seems like what he is - a man who's spent 30 years of his life speaking, outraged to a crowd of ten who entirely agree with him. And now he's on the national stage.

I think he's a bad leader because of who he is not despite it.

QuoteThere are different versions of the Tories; I really don't mind the likes of Heseltine, Major, Clarke and Grieve; but the current bunch represent all the things about the tories that I dislike..............takes me back to 1982  :P
What about the Cameroons? Where did they sit for you in the versions of Tories?
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I could put up with the Cameroons...........until Cameron ballsed it up with his silly referendum. More than put up with really............I thought they were ok.

Sheilbh

Interesting. I always couldn't stand them because I thought they were callow public schoolboys playing a game. I thought May could be an interesting contrast and actually do very well - another one to add to my awful predictions list :lol:

Since Ruth's stepped down, I don't think there's any prominent Tory I'd say I like. I always used to have Ken Clarke (some wonderful YouTube footage of him and John Prescott in Ronnie Scott's chatting about jazz :lol:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The coalition did get gay marriage onto the books; a very important piece of legislation and a major achievment imo. Until 2016 I also felt that things were moving in the right direction as regards sexism, racism etc etc. With the tories onboard on these matters perhaps the reaction was inevitable.

Tamas

I guess it's typical of these years that the ONLY party with moderate policies (LibDems) are the ones shrinking in the polls

Josquius

Bloody hell. Went to a chip shop and completely without prompting the guy working there started rattling off how bad Corbyn is and listing off pro brexit bollocks about how we used to have an empire and its all Europe's fault we don't anymore. Doubtless he expects if we just leave his chip shop will become a massive international chain or so? :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2019, 08:29:21 AM
Bloody hell. Went to a chip shop and completely without prompting the guy working there started rattling off how bad Corbyn is and listing off pro brexit bollocks about how we used to have an empire and its all Europe's fault we don't anymore. Doubtless he expects if we just leave his chip shop will become a massive international chain or so? :bleeding:

Maybe he is hoping for a nice cosy job in India.