Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2019, 10:32:15 AM
Fair. And Grayling is the Nureyev of incompetence so I'd only use that comparison for an enormous fuck up.

I expect that this has been noted before, but, checking up on Grayling's biography I see that he was......inevitably.............born on April the 1st  :lol:

Josquius

I'm actually fairly on board with a lower minimum wage for young people. Though phrasing it in terms of they don't deserve it is dumb.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

We have a lower minimum wage for young people, but I think it stops at 18, maybe 21?

I'm not sure it's an awful idea :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Iirc it's staircased.
X up to 18.
18-21 y
21-25 z.
It makes sense as... Why would you employ a 17 year old vs a 40 year old experienced person otherwise?
Asuming of course normal kids here.
When you have young single parents and the like things change and it should fall on the government to cover the difference
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2019, 03:05:24 PM
We have a lower minimum wage for young people, but I think it stops at 18, maybe 21?

I'm not sure it's an awful idea :mellow:

Minimum wage bands are set at 16-17, 18-20, 21-24, 25 and older.

What he did not say is that the lower bands are set to encourage employers to take people on at that age rather than starting to create a generation of unemployables by the time they reach 30; there's enough of that happening in our economy as it is.

If you were an employer and had the choice of taking on an 18 year old who has never had a job before and a 30 year old who has worked before, who would you pick? Even if you had to train both from scratch at least some of the experience of the older worker should make him more useful than the 18 year old if you have to pay both the same wage from day 1.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Richard Hakluyt

The lower wage makes sense if it is coupled with some worthwhile training. What doesn't make sense is paying a youngster peanuts and then have them get to 25 and still be essentially unskilled.

The Brain

What if you're middle aged and still essentially unskilled? I'm asking for a friend.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Brain on November 29, 2019, 04:37:46 PM
What if you're middle aged and still essentially unskilled? I'm asking for a friend.

Hmmm........... :hmm:

Difficult......in that case a career in nuclear engineering beckons; if Homer Simpson can do it.......

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on November 29, 2019, 04:37:46 PM

Yeah a friend of mine wants to ask the same question. :whistle:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 29, 2019, 10:26:37 AM
Ok, I suppose I am judging him on election campaign type appearances, which hardly show the best side of anyone.

During May's reign, he was trotted out a lot when an interviewer needed a conservative punching bag.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Polls are looking hopeful.
But round about I hear disturbing stuff. Lots of people seeing it as a popularity contest about Corbyn or believing extreme nonsense about nationalisation.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on December 03, 2019, 11:50:03 AM
Polls are looking hopeful.
But round about I hear disturbing stuff. Lots of people seeing it as a popularity contest about Corbyn or believing extreme nonsense about nationalisation.

Yes, well...I've been visiting a hospital for the last few days - when even NHS nursing staff (regarded, perhaps unfairly, as being notoriously left wing) think Corbyn's "clueless", "a liar" and/or "nuts" then Labour has a problem.

But then, Opinium's last poll included in the results of one of their subsidiary questions that 27% of the public thought Boris Johnson was generally truthful, whereas only about 20% of the public thought that Jeremy Corbyn was generally truthful - bad for both leaders, really, given that this figure probably indicates that only 2/3 of their core vote thinks they are truthful, let alone opponents and neutrals. But also surprising given the sustained thread in online discussion that Boris Johnson is, and is regarded as, almost uniquely untrustworthy.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

It is not like Labour was not warned about what a cancer Corbyn would be if they elected him leader.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I'm not sure how Corbyn is untrustworthy.  I just don't like the things he wants to do!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.