Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Valmy

How could she not be? Might as well just not go if it bothers you that much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on January 24, 2017, 12:08:05 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 23, 2017, 07:04:39 PM
Ezra Bridger, while not a Temple trained Jedi, is still probably out there & younger than Luke.
I don't think he survived Rebels.  They may not kill him onscreen, they may reserve it for a novel/comic book, but I doubt he's alive.  Imho, he turned to the Dark Side, killed his master and was slaughtered by Vader after finding redemption.

Nobody cares about what happens in a children's cartoon show. :P

Barrister

Ezra Bridger, while not a Temple trained Jedi, is still probably out there & younger than Luke.
I don't think he survived Rebels.  They may not kill him onscreen, they may reserve it for a novel/comic book, but I doubt he's alive.  Imho, he turned to the Dark Side, killed his master and was slaughtered by Vader after finding redemption.

Ahsoka Tano is still out there as well (although she left the Jedi order, she is still a light side force user).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 24, 2017, 12:14:23 PM

Hey bub - these are kids movies we're dissecting. :contract:

citizen k

Quote from: Tamas on January 24, 2017, 12:14:23 PM

It's canon!  ;)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

I thought she was supposed to be obi 's kid, what with them being the only two characters with a British accent.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on January 24, 2017, 12:37:29 PM
I thought she was supposed to be obi 's kid, what with them being the only two characters with a British accent.

I know there are certain British accents that sound like that, but they are NOT genetic in origin.

Habbaku

She seems way too young to be Obi's child.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Yeah, she's too young to be Obi's. Maybe grand kid.

Did Padme have any sibblins?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on January 24, 2017, 12:38:28 PM

I know there are certain British accents that sound like that, but they are NOT genetic in origin.

:lol:  the theory was since they made black storm trooper use an American accent her accent had special meaning. But maybe she just sucks at accents. Also, she heard obi's voice when she picked up the light saber.

@Habbaku. She does seems young, but that's just the theory I read. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Maybe she was sealed in carbonite for a few decades.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2017, 12:43:12 PM
Yeah, she's too young to be Obi's. Maybe grand kid.

Did Padme have any sibblins?

You got me curious, so I looked it up.

The only relative of Padme ever shown in the movies is her father (albeit through a deleted scene) - Rusee Naberrie.  So it's possibly she could have had siblings.

But for Rey to be Luke's long-lost cousin on his mother's side seems like it would be verging on self-parody.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2017, 12:48:43 PM
But for Rey to be Luke's long-lost cousin on his mother's side seems like it would be verging on self-parody.

It will be self-parody no matter who's kid she is.

Kenobi direct
Kenobi grand kid
Luke's kid

Altho, if I was a betting person I'd go Skywalker.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.