Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2017, 01:57:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2017, 01:51:52 PM
That was my thought at first, but it would really be lame if they killed off a major OT character *again* after Han's death in Ep VII.

Mark Hamill is 65 years old.  As they've learned from Carrie Fisher you can't build a multi-billion dollar franchise around actors eligible for Medicare.

Luke Skywalker is a dead man walking.

Leia is kinda the next round in the chamber, since Carrie is already dead. Hamill seems healthy and drug free. I bet they are shooting Mark's force ghost sequences just in case though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Berkut on January 23, 2017, 02:03:18 PM
"The Last Jedi" doesn't mean there won't ever be more, it just means that at the particular point in time, there is only one left. At that time, he is the last Jedi.

iirc a number of Jedi managed to evade order 66, maybe some of them are still alive.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2017, 01:03:41 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 23, 2017, 12:52:05 PM
Luke saying to Rey, "Rey...I am your father....".

Scary part is it actually would kind of make some sense....

Mrs B watched TFA with Andrew yesterday.  That's her theory.
I think it's been confirmed that is not the case.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2017, 01:56:01 PM
If Luke croaks and Rey lives, what would prevent her from finding and training noobs?  If Rey dies they go extinct.
Nothing, but the title would still be accurate.  From a certain point of view.  Or considering allternative facts. ;)

At this point in time, she would be, technically, the last jedi.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 23, 2017, 03:12:01 PM
"The Last Jedi" doesn't mean there won't ever be more, it just means that at the particular point in time, there is only one left. At that time, he is the last Jedi.

iirc a number of Jedi managed to evade order 66, maybe some of them are still alive.
Order 66 must be like 50 years in the past in the TFA timeline. Luke and Leia were not born yet. So human Jedi of the time before Order 66 must be extinct. Doesn't Yoda say as much in the original trilogy. Luke is the last of the Jedi.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on January 23, 2017, 04:48:13 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 23, 2017, 03:12:01 PM

Order 66 must be like 50 years in the past in the TFA timeline. Luke and Leia were not born yet. So human Jedi of the time before Order 66 must be extinct. Doesn't Yoda say as much in the original trilogy. Luke is the last of the Jedi.

Well they've kind of ret-conned that one, since a few Jedi have surfaced in the Star Wars Rebel cartoon (which is considered canon).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Is there defined canon for what happened around Lukes effort to restart the Jedi academy and Kylo Ren's betrayal?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2017, 04:49:30 PM

Well they've kind of ret-conned that one, since a few Jedi have surfaced in the Star Wars Rebel cartoon (which is considered canon).
The series plays way before Yoda says that Luke is the last of the Jedi in Return of the Jedi, which is surely canon.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on January 23, 2017, 04:57:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2017, 04:49:30 PM

The series plays way before Yoda says that Luke is the last of the Jedi in Return of the Jedi, which is surely canon.

Not "way before".  Googling suggests rebels is set 5 years before A New Hope.  And besides Obi Wan and Yoda were always a little flexible with the truth in talking with Luke...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Ezra Bridger, while not a Temple trained Jedi, is still probably out there & younger than Luke.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2017, 12:55:26 PM
The first shot will be a star destroyer launching probes in frantic pursuit of Luke Skywalker's whereabouts.

Doubtful, it's been confirmed that the movie - in a break with tradition - will pick up where VII left off, instead of having a few years pass between movies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2017, 02:18:16 AM
Doubtful, it's been confirmed that the movie - in a break with tradition - will pick up where VII left off, instead of having a few years pass between movies.
Well, they're going to have to open on a spaceship (in space) somehow, right?  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2017, 02:18:16 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2017, 12:55:26 PM
The first shot will be a star destroyer launching probes in frantic pursuit of Luke Skywalker's whereabouts.

Not a break at all - after all, the first movie picks up moments after the 8th movie left off!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 23, 2017, 07:04:39 PM
Ezra Bridger, while not a Temple trained Jedi, is still probably out there & younger than Luke.
I don't think he survived Rebels.  They may not kill him onscreen, they may reserve it for a novel/comic book, but I doubt he's alive.  Imho, he turned to the Dark Side, killed his master and was slaughtered by Vader after finding redemption.

Habbaku

Ugh.  If Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter, I may just walk out of the theater.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien