Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Admiral Yi

How is the determination made if something is canon or not?  Is there a governing body?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: Zanza on January 24, 2017, 02:31:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2017, 01:49:48 PM
It's an open question whether or not Vader would be able to father children after his crippling injuries.
The relevant part of his body still seems to be there...  ;)

I wonder if he can still get it up.

The Brain

"Canon" is silly. Life Day is as real as the Death Star.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 24, 2017, 03:00:21 PM
How is the determination made if something is canon or not?  Is there a governing body?

Disney
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah. There's a committee for that and Kennedy is in charge.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Dunno why Star wars types want to bolt on a continuity to a storyline that doesn't have it and doesn't need it.  Peter Jackson made six successful Lord of the Rings movies and didn't worry about continuity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPrs3UFlHXv/

Josh Gad questions Daisy Ridley about the title. Have you guys already discussed if Jedi in the title is plural?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Quote from: Liep on January 26, 2017, 04:09:38 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPrs3UFlHXv/

Josh Gad questions Daisy Ridley about the title. Have you guys already discussed if Jedi in the title is plural?

Yes. I think it is.

I mentioned it somewhere before but Disney in Canada always releases titles in both French & English at the same time. For Last Jedi, they didn't release a French name.

It would give away whether Jedi is plural or not. Le Dernier Jedi / Les Derniers Jedi.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

That gave me an idea, from imdb.com:

Germany   Star Wars: Der letzte Jedi
Italy   Star Wars: Episodio VIII - L'ultimo Jedi

I don't know Italian but the German at least seems singular.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

It's singular in Italian. No official Spanish title yet, but "Return of the Jedi" was singular over here.

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on January 26, 2017, 08:59:57 AM
That gave me an idea, from imdb.com:

Germany   Star Wars: Der letzte Jedi
Italy   Star Wars: Episodio VIII - L'ultimo Jedi

I don't know Italian but the German at least seems singular.

In Italian it's singular and masculine, so it'¡s obviously about Luke.