Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 24, 2017, 01:15:26 PM
As celibates go the freakin Jedi seem to have an unusual number of offspring.

Since force sensitivity is apparently hereditary it seems a bit self-defeating for them not to be making offspring like crazy. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2017, 01:49:48 PM
It's an open question whether or not Vader would be able to father children after his crippling injuries.
The Midichlorians work in mysterious ways...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2017, 01:52:52 PM
Guys....guys....Rey is Luke's daughter. If I am wrong I will eat BB's hat.
Then eat it right now :)
QuoteRey's parents are not in Episode 7. So I can't possibly tell you who they are at this moment. But all I will say is that this is something that Rey thinks about, too.
Link

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2017, 02:07:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2017, 01:57:08 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 24, 2017, 01:54:17 PM
EVERYBODY assumes that, and I think with Star Wars they try to have surprising plot twists ("No, *I* am your father").

but that's exactly why we assume that. Everyone important is a Skywalker.

And I thought it was understood this was about the 'next generation' and that family would continue to be really important. And I don't think they meant Obi-Wan's family.

We already have a Skywalker/Solo descendant - Kylo Ren. He covers the "family is important" angle. Rey doesn't need to be related, although I'm sure her parents are important somehow.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on January 24, 2017, 02:11:45 PM
QuoteRey's parents are not in Episode 7. So I can't possibly tell you who they are at this moment. But all I will say is that this is something that Rey thinks about, too.
Link

Tbh he later clarified that he meant she doesn't find out who they are in Episode VII.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2017, 02:09:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 24, 2017, 01:15:26 PM
As celibates go the freakin Jedi seem to have an unusual number of offspring.

Since force sensitivity is apparently hereditary it seems a bit self-defeating for them not to be making offspring like crazy. :P
Do we actually know that force sensitivity is hereditary from canon sources? Maybe that's the exceptional thing about the Skywalkers? We don't really see any other parent-child force users, do we?

Valmy

I will hold out for confirmation -_-

But she is baby Skywalker. I have put my stake in the figurative internet ground.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Link

Not even remotely definitive.

I think he was not making a declarative statement, but an explanatory one.

IE, he is not saying "No character in Ep VII is the parent of Rey" but rather "The parentage of Rey was not defined as being one of our characters as part of Ep7, hence I don't really know/cannot be certain".

In other words, nothing has been fixed in canon as of Ep7, rather than that literally she has a defined parent that is certainly not one of the Ep7 characters.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2017, 02:22:30 PM

I will hold out for confirmation -_-

But she is baby Skywalker. I have put my stake in the figurative internet ground.
I wonder if I can legally ship you a can of maple syrup or if I'm facing some border restrictions... hmm.

I'd be tempted to bet a can of maple syrup made by my neighbour, with my dad's maple trees, and send it to you if she's Luke's daughter.  If she ain't, then you'll have to send me something good renowned in Texas of equal value (no, motor oil doesn't count :P ).

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on January 24, 2017, 02:16:47 PM
Do we actually know that force sensitivity is hereditary from canon sources? Maybe that's the exceptional thing about the Skywalkers? We don't really see any other parent-child force users, do we?

Hell if I know. What exactly is Canon at this point?

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2017, 01:49:48 PM
It's an open question whether or not Vader would be able to father children after his crippling injuries.
The relevant part of his body still seems to be there...  ;)

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2017, 02:30:10 PM

The Star Wars Holiday Special certainly is.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 24, 2017, 02:29:29 PM
I wonder if I can legally ship you a can of maple syrup or if I'm facing some border restrictions... hmm.

I'd be tempted to bet a can of maple syrup made by my neighbour, with my dad's maple trees, and send it to you if she's Luke's daughter.  If she ain't, then you'll have to send me something good renowned in Texas of equal value (no, motor oil doesn't count :P ).

I will take this bet. Um...huh...BBQ sauce? Chili?

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2017, 02:30:10 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 24, 2017, 02:16:47 PM

- All live action movies ever done (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, Rogue One)
- Clone Wars animated movie
- Clone Wars animated tv series
- Star Wars Rebels
- All books and comics produced after Disney's acquisition of Lucas Arts and not labeled "Legend".

A complete list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2017, 02:33:05 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 24, 2017, 02:29:29 PM

I will take this bet. Um...huh...BBQ sauce? Chili?
Texas Chili would be good!
Bet taken, assuming none of us ends up in a jail cell for contraband import :P