News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 17, 2018, 11:09:27 PM
Simpsons references are inevitably a bust.
I know it's been said before, but this time it's true:  the young generation of today is the worst.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2018, 10:58:44 PM
I guess the equivalent to the Terminator would be movies like Dracula or Frankenstein from that era right? I think I would easily get a reference to those films (the films, not the books) even if I have never seen them.

But Frankenstein and Dracula are pieces of 19th century fiction. Their impact has had the time to reach well beyond the Hammer films. I think a closer analogy would be Western movies, a genre that was well past its prime when we were 20-something. Or some piece of trivia from the Blob: I know the existence of that movie, but I would be hard-pressed to say a single meaningful thing about it beyond a vague sense of the plot. Also, we gain these references as we age. I couldn't reference a single thing from, say, the Twilight Zone, back when I was 20. Add another 20 years of consuming media, tv and print, and I know the plot of many episodes, despite not having fully seen a single one. (Thank you, the Scary Door). 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: DGuller on October 17, 2018, 11:16:06 PM
I know it's been said before, but this time it's true:  the young generation of today is the worst.

It's the children who are wrong.

Valmy

If I, who grew up during the Terminator craze, have not felt the slightest desire to see these movies, I should not expect if from younger people who even lack the pretext of nostalgia.

As an aside, I have resolved not to change my deadpan jokes when I teach, and try to discern what references my students are able to pick up. Simpsons references are inevitably a bust. So are most action hero movie references (all those one-liners...). Still, I surprisingly got a reaction out of references from Back to the Future, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Bill & Ted (!?). There are also *still* 20-something fans of Monty Python. 

Well I have never seen any of the Terminator movies either but I would easily catch a reference. Because I live in this culture. Skynet? I mean is that really something so obscure you actually have to have seen the movies to get it? And, as Eddie said, those movies are still being made so kids who enjoy seeing movies would at least know about the series.

But how young can this person be who cares about unit wage costs anyway? Is that what the kids care about today?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

See my point above about aging... ;)

It's also somewhat unsurprising that a forum made-up, by and large, of avowed nerds, would pick up references to sci-fi, or fantasy. Imagine instead a subfield of pop culture of 60-80 years ago, and for which you have no, or little interest.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 17, 2018, 11:20:46 PM
See my point above about aging... ;)

Yeah fair enough. You pick up stuff.

On the other hand kids today get blasted with media and media references in ways that I never did. Movies are a good example, I just have no interest in movies generally. I very rarely see them. But after the internet has come about damn do I not know a shitload about movies despite the fact I very rarely watch them. So I don't know. They are very meme savvy and all that culture is is about referencing pop culture. Or at least they were when I graduated from college in 2014. I mean that year that stupid 'Too many cooks' video went viral and EVERYBODY was making jokes about it and what was that than a joke about TV tropes from decades before?

QuoteIt's also somewhat unsurprising that a forum made-up, by and large, of avowed nerds, would pick up references to sci-fi, or fantasy. Imagine instead a subfield of pop culture of 60-80 years ago, and for which you have no, or little interest.

I do have very little interest in Sci Fi, but thanks to you nerds and my wife I now know lots about it.

However we are talking about a major blockbuster film series, one that is ongoing as I see another film is coming out next year, not some obscure subfield of pop culture from the distant recesses of time. I rather suspect this woman is just a colossal nerd herself and completely into her obsessions, and probably in her early to mid 30s and so just a few years younger than me anyway, and just has no time for mainstream junk.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: ValmyWell I have never seen any of the Terminator movies either

WTF

dps

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 17, 2018, 11:17:43 PM

But Frankenstein and Dracula are pieces of 19th century fiction. Their impact has had the time to reach well beyond the Hammer films.

I think that the popular image of Frankenstein and Dracula, at least in the US, still owes more to the Universal films of the 30s and 40s than to the Hammer films.  At a guess, about all most Americans know about the Hammer films is that a lot of them starred Christopher Lee, and often co-stared Peter Cushing.

derspiess

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 17, 2018, 10:32:58 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 17, 2018, 10:29:25 PM
She doesn't know what Skynet is. So disappointed in that generation. :(

How familiar are you with popular movies of the 40s?

Ask me that question :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2018, 11:19:26 PM
If I, who grew up during the Terminator craze, have not felt the slightest desire to see these movies, I should not expect if from younger people who even lack the pretext of nostalgia.

As an aside, I have resolved not to change my deadpan jokes when I teach, and try to discern what references my students are able to pick up. Simpsons references are inevitably a bust. So are most action hero movie references (all those one-liners...). Still, I surprisingly got a reaction out of references from Back to the Future, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Bill & Ted (!?). There are also *still* 20-something fans of Monty Python. 

Well I have never seen any of the Terminator movies either but I would easily catch a reference. Because I live in this culture. Skynet? I mean is that really something so obscure you actually have to have seen the movies to get it? And, as Eddie said, those movies are still being made so kids who enjoy seeing movies would at least know about the series.

But how young can this person be who cares about unit wage costs anyway? Is that what the kids care about today?

My 14 year old nephew barely fanthoms how I went to school without an ipad. I don't expect him to know about 80s movies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

No, but he should know some by the time he finishes college.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Maybe but it won't be 100% penetration in the entire generation. I don't watch Horror movies, I wouldn't get any of those references, no matter the time period.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

My 10 year old son yells Terminator quotes to his friends when playing Fortnite.  He hasn't seen any of the movies, but apparently there is some Schwarzenegger meme that he and his buddies laugh about.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on October 18, 2018, 12:42:30 AM
Quote from: ValmyWell I have never seen any of the Terminator movies either

WTF

I was a small child when the first one came out and...well...the others just never interested me.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2018, 08:44:55 AM
My 14 year old nephew barely fanthoms how I went to school without an ipad. I don't expect him to know about 80s movies.

Oh? What does he use the iPad for?