News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

All the fetuses are now in heaven instead of being exposed to a sinful earth which could have sent them all to hell though :hmm:

Anyway I hope that if R v W is overturned reasonable people can find a compromise. There are a few of those left.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2018, 01:14:14 PM
All the fetuses are now in heaven instead of being exposed to a sinful earth which could have sent them all to hell though :hmm:

Anyway I hope that if R v W is overturned reasonable people can find a compromise. There are a few of those left.

Alas, in this climate, not likely.  Overturning Roe just moves the political battlegrounds to the states.  Though even then, it probably won't be too long before someone pushed for a blanket ban at the federal level.  There is ample wording in the Constitution that can be used for someone to justify it.

Razgovory

I'm vaguely pro-life, it's like being pro-Italy.  It's not something I care that much about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2018, 10:46:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2018, 10:26:16 AM
Non-existent children have thoughts?

The counter-point argument would be that a child murdered in utero is still a child.

The post Syt made very obviously takes a pro-life view, but it's not just simply ridiculous like many of the other posts in this thread.

The counter-counter thought is that a child murdered in utero is never born, and therefor is never cursed with original sin, and so goes straight to heaven.  That's a far, far better fate than being born and almost certainly going to hell.

The devoutly religious should support abortion for all.  Let the abortion doctors (evil and going to hell anyway) do everyone's offspring a huge favor.

Edit:  Valmy beat me to part of this. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 14, 2018, 03:24:20 PM
Overturning Roe just moves the political battlegrounds to the states.

Where it should have been all along.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on October 14, 2018, 10:23:24 PM

I don't think it should be up to the states, not such a fundamental question.  It should up to the federal government, just not that branch of federal government.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 14, 2018, 04:19:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2018, 10:46:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2018, 10:26:16 AM
Non-existent children have thoughts?

The counter-point argument would be that a child murdered in utero is still a child.

The post Syt made very obviously takes a pro-life view, but it's not just simply ridiculous like many of the other posts in this thread.

The counter-counter thought is that a child murdered in utero is never born, and therefor is never cursed with original sin, and so goes straight to heaven.  That's a far, far better fate than being born and almost certainly going to hell.

The devoutly religious should support abortion for all.  Let the abortion doctors (evil and going to hell anyway) do everyone's offspring a huge favor.

Edit:  Valmy beat me to part of this.

Counter-counter-counter argument is that life begins at conception and thus they count as being born and fall into Limbo, the first circle of Hell (which isn't so bad.  Plato hangs out there).

This is just me playing the devil's advocate though.  It's interesting that the Bible doesn't really support this view.  The ancient Israelites didn't seem to have much problem with abortion.  Life began when you drew breath (like when God breathed life into Adam).  A fetus was probably was not considered alive.  There is no restriction on abortion in the Bible, the closest thing was a decree that if a man beat a woman who was pregnant and she aborted the fetus as a result the man owed her money (I think.  I'm doing this from memory).  The fact that the punishment was a fine, rather than execution or exile indicates that they did not consider the fetus to a living person.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

The problem will become, that those who believe abortion = murder, won't be satisfied with that.  After all, who would ever say that murder, as to whether it should be a crime or not, should be left up to the states?

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 15, 2018, 12:06:16 AM

The problem will become, that those who believe abortion = murder, won’t be satisfied with that.  After all, who would ever say that murder, as to whether it should be a crime or not, should be left up to the states?

Actually, it is left up to the states.  Murder is a state crime, not a federal crime.

Syt

I lean towards pro-choice in the debate, but ultimately think it's a complicated and very emotional topic. If it weren't prohibitive, I'd say this needed looking at on a case by case basis.

That said, I think this is a question in which women should have a major say, not old men. Further, the GOP's position on the topic seems slightly cynical. They will do anything to protect unborn life, but once that life's born - well, you're on your own now. Good luck!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2018, 12:30:17 AM
That said, I think this is a question in which women should have a major say, not old men.
I never understood that argument from the logical perspective.  Being an interested party shouldn't entitle you to have a greater say in making laws.  Often it's actually a bad thing when interested parties decide on laws that affect them.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 15, 2018, 12:06:16 AM
The problem will become, that those who believe abortion = murder, won't be satisfied with that.  After all, who would ever say that murder, as to whether it should be a crime or not, should be left up to the states?

And those who subscribe to the alternate view won't be satisfied either.  And they're both free to persuade the other to their way of thinking.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2018, 12:35:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2018, 12:30:17 AM
That said, I think this is a question in which women should have a major say, not old men.
I never understood that argument from the logical perspective.  Being an interested party shouldn't entitle you to have a greater say in making laws.  Often it's actually a bad thing when interested parties decide on laws that affect them.

I tend to agree, but when it's legislating about women's bodies in this way it feels uncomfortable to me. (As an aside, I think it better to give up a child for adoption than undergo abortion, but I've never been in the situation where I would have to make that call, and likely never will be.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Camerus on October 12, 2018, 04:15:40 PM
What if there were a right wing meme too retarded even for Syt's sisters to post?

I may have found one or two, but I'm not posting them :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall