And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2018, 08:25:49 AM
Quote from: Camerus on October 12, 2018, 04:15:40 PM
What if there were a right wing meme too retarded even for Syt's sisters to post?

I may have found one or two, but I'm not posting them :D

You are a good and merciful man.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2018, 12:35:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2018, 12:30:17 AM
That said, I think this is a question in which women should have a major say, not old men.
I never understood that argument from the logical perspective.  Being an interested party shouldn't entitle you to have a greater say in making laws.  Often it's actually a bad thing when interested parties decide on laws that affect them.

There are few other situations where the law would require somebody to go on a nine month intense physical process which could do serious damage to their career prospects.

And then there would be problem of throwing tens of thousands more children into the all the ready underfunded and overloaded child welfare system every year.

Which is why I think an attempt to eliminate abortion needs to be accompanied with a big birth control research push along with more funds for child welfare.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2018, 08:56:49 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2018, 08:25:49 AM
Quote from: Camerus on October 12, 2018, 04:15:40 PM
What if there were a right wing meme too retarded even for Syt's sisters to post?

I may have found one or two, but I'm not posting them :D

You are a good and merciful man.

After those Poll Cats, I figured I owed it to you guys.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2018, 08:59:38 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2018, 12:35:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2018, 12:30:17 AM
That said, I think this is a question in which women should have a major say, not old men.
I never understood that argument from the logical perspective.  Being an interested party shouldn't entitle you to have a greater say in making laws.  Often it's actually a bad thing when interested parties decide on laws that affect them.

There are few other situations where the law would require somebody to go on a nine month intense physical process which could do serious damage to their career prospects.

It would have seemed weird to me if military service (back in my day) had been decided on by men but not women.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2018, 12:05:50 PM
It would have seemed weird to me if military service (back in my day) had been decided on by men but not women.

Ah but they provided ways to get out of military service.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2018, 12:07:21 PM

Now you seem to be talking about results and no longer about who's making the decisions.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2018, 12:20:14 PM

Now you seem to be talking about results and no longer about who's making the decisions.

I thought I started out by talking about results.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2018, 12:30:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2018, 12:20:14 PM

I thought I started out by talking about results.

I don't see it.

Valmy

Well look I concede that if compulsory military service was brought back and only affected men then a case could be made that women shouldn't be the ones deciding that using similar logic.

So I guess that is one of those few other situations.

garbon

If that's the case though, should rich politicians not be in charge of deciding what happens to the poor?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2018, 11:18:50 AM
Well look I concede that if compulsory military service was brought back and only affected men then a case could be made that women shouldn't be the ones deciding that using similar logic.

And I disagree with that case of course. I don't think identity politics is the answer.

Valmy

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2018, 11:28:02 AM
If that's the case though, should rich politicians not be in charge of deciding what happens to the poor?

A special meeting of the poor politicians will decide what happens to them. It might be sparsely attended.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on October 16, 2018, 02:10:29 PM

And I disagree with that case of course. I don't think identity politics is the answer.

Yeah, I am not sure what world Valmy inhabits that he thinks a case could be made in that scenario.

Valmy's view appears to be an odd distortion of "no taxation without representation".  That does not mean that the people who do not pay taxes should not be allowed vote.  It just means that people who pay taxes should also be allowed to vote.  His is a basic misunderstanding of liberal democratic values.  But I suppose, given the extent to which those values are being eroded in the US, one can understand his confusion.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2018, 03:54:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 16, 2018, 02:10:29 PM

Yeah, I am not sure what world Valmy inhabits that he thinks a case could be made in that scenario.

Valmy's view appears to be an odd distortion of "no taxation without representation".  That does not mean that the people who do not pay taxes should not be allowed vote.  It just means that people who pay taxes should also be allowed to vote.  His is a basic misunderstanding of liberal democratic values.  But I suppose, given the extent to which those values are being eroded in the US, one can understand his confusion.

Wow, what a dick.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.