News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

You two are hated with a burning passion
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

I recall seeing some commercials in which Disney was pitching trips to Disneyland/Disneyworld to older couples whose children were already grown.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: PDH on October 18, 2018, 08:01:30 PM
You two are hated with a burning passion
Hey now, neither CC nor myself are/were childless women!  We aren't technically the ones crazy rage lady hates with a burning passion.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I guess Ice Cube doesn't talk to many Canadians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2018, 09:25:22 AM
What does that even mean?

A reference to people pledging to leave the country if Trump wins(or any other candidate, it's a common trope).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 17, 2018, 11:17:43 PM
But Frankenstein and Dracula are pieces of 19th century fiction. Their impact has had the time to reach well beyond the Hammer films. I think a closer analogy would be Western movies, a genre that was well past its prime when we were 20-something. Or some piece of trivia from the Blob: I know the existence of that movie, but I would be hard-pressed to say a single meaningful thing about it beyond a vague sense of the plot. Also, we gain these references as we age. I couldn't reference a single thing from, say, the Twilight Zone, back when I was 20. Add another 20 years of consuming media, tv and print, and I know the plot of many episodes, despite not having fully seen a single one. (Thank you, the Scary Door).

Hammer films did better with Dracula than Frankenstein IMO. Thanks to Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, vampire killer. :)
Btw, Twilight Zone was even remade in the '80s, both as a series and a movie, same goes for the Blob, but only as a movie since this was not a show.
Interestingly, lots of reruns around these parts still in the '80s for the Twilight Zone (original b&w), despite being part of the "mauvais genres" ;) or even Laurel and Hardy which I think is not very well-known besides cinephiles.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 20, 2018, 11:23:17 AM
Hammer films did better with Dracula than Frankenstein IMO. Thanks to Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, vampire killer. :)

Well I disagree. Peter Cushing is Dr. Frankenstein more than he is Van Helsing. And Lee did play the monster in one movie.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 20, 2018, 10:55:33 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2018, 09:25:22 AM
What does that even mean?

A reference to people pledging to leave the country if Trump wins(or any other candidate, it's a common trope).

Ah, thank you for the explanation  :)

Oexmelin

It's also a somewhat recurring political conversation when you are a Canadian expat in the US...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Why is Ice Cube so upset about people complaining about Trump?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Cube is always upset that Eazy-E took his money.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

The irony is that Canadians have plenty of reasons to bitch about Trump ... unfortunately, his impact is not confined to his own miserable country.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.