News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Camerus on October 12, 2018, 04:15:40 PM
What if there were a right wing meme too retarded even for Syt's sisters to post?

No idea what you mean.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

It's really creepy how some elements seem to want there to be serious bloodletting based upon political differences.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Yes. The casual/hopeful way in which a new civil war is being brought up by some people on the right - along with the current rhetoric from the President and his cronies about the illegitimacy of political opposition, and the "angry mob" of the Democrats, unfit and dangerous to govern - should be major warning signs. It is the transformation of adversaries into enemies - what Carl Schmidt, the pro-Nazi political thinker had advocated as the defining feature of what politics ought to be.

But it is all being normalized. Apparently, it's only concerning when people shout at Ted Cruz in a restaurant.

Que le grand cric me croque !

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

The guy in the flannel shirt  looks real  fit for duty.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

I think they're being casual because they know it's ridiculous.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 12, 2018, 04:41:53 PM
The guy in the flannel shirt  looks real  fit for duty.

He can be their Winfield Scott.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Camerus on October 12, 2018, 04:15:40 PM
What if there were a right wing meme too retarded even for Syt's sisters to post?

That's a worse paradox than 'could Jesus microwave a burrito too hot for him to eat'.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2018, 01:11:01 PM

Usually the person doesn't say this himself.

Then I suppose Derspeiss is shit-out-of-luck
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2018, 12:52:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2018, 12:43:50 PM
Well consider me spited :P

How much spiting do they need to do before they have considered the spite sufficient?

Well, I did see one person say they want to hang the treasonous globalists on the capital mall and leave the bodies to rot as a warning to others, so maybe after that.

Dang. Well at least my death will bring an end to spiteful politics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2018, 10:26:16 AM
Non-existent children have thoughts?

The counter-point argument would be that a child murdered in utero is still a child.

The post Syt made very obviously takes a pro-life view, but it's not just simply ridiculous like many of the other posts in this thread.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2018, 10:46:23 AM

The counter-point argument would be that a child murdered in utero is still a child.

The post Syt made very obviously takes a pro-life view, but it's not just simply ridiculous like many of the other posts in this thread.
I agree.  That particular post is not ridiculous, it just reflects the pro-life point of view, and nothing more.  It is based on a pro-life axiom, but so are all of the even most intellectually honest pro-life or pro-choice arguments.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2018, 11:32:30 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2018, 10:46:23 AM

I agree.  That particular post is not ridiculous, it just reflects the pro-life point of view, and nothing more.  It is based on a pro-life axiom, but so are all of the even most intellectually honest pro-life or pro-choice arguments.

Yeah...I am pro-choice, and I thought it was a rather sad picture.

Abortion does suck. Even if I don't believe there are a bunch of infant souls out there, I do think every abortion is a waste of human potential, and that is sad.

That is not ridiculous at all. It is effective and even fair, based on the views of those who hold pro-life views.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned