News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2015, 02:39:42 PM
One very good reason for excluding suicides from the gun fatality totals is there are no innocent victims of suicide.

If we assumed that it even reasonably true, that would be a good reason to exclude suicides from gun fatality totals involving innocent victims.

It would be stupid to exclude them from "gun fatality totals" though. In fact, it would be downright deceitful to do so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

FBI is investigating the case as terrorism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2015, 03:40:23 PM

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, etc...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2015, 03:43:35 PM

.. The FBI will take it to be a duck-billed platypus?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on December 04, 2015, 03:46:16 PM

I was going to say it is a sheep so the Welsh will want to have sex with it. But that is more relevant.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

One would hope they had never stopped.  But this is the FBI we're talking about.

"You asked for miracles, Theo?  I give you the F.B.I."

CountDeMoney

...And then charge the platypus, keep the platypus's mother's Tupperware, set its compound on fire--and in response, Congress will cut the ATF's budget.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2015, 03:47:48 PM
I was going to say it is a sheep so the Welsh will want to have sex with it. But that is more relevant.

The second Welsh sheep-shagging dig I've seen from you today. Why is that? Are you mad they canceled Bastard Executioner?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2015, 03:52:05 PM

...And then charge the platypus, keep the platypus's mother's Tupperware, set its compound on fire--and in response, Congress will cut the ATF's budget.

:D

Money have you seen this documentary about an FBI undercover informant/sting operation?

http://terrordocumentary.org/

Syt

Ah, my sister finally joined the discussion:

Well, that's probably because in Paris it's a once in a decade event, and in the U.S. it's "Wednesday."  :rolleyes:

Sorry for constantly bringing their posts here, but I need this place to vent. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Yeah the pointing out that gun laws do not reduce gun violence and every new attack only further proves this has been splattered all over my facebook as well. Zuckerberg really is worse than CarnegieHitler.

I do like how not only is gun control wrong but YOU ARE CAUSING MORE ATTACKS BY BEING FOR IT...somehow.

The false equivalency with the French Flag thing is new though. Man I think I literally would be a millionaire if I had a nickle for every false equivalency meme.

Syt

I should mention that my sister also changed her FB picture to a US flag.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2015, 04:25:05 PM
I should mention that my sister also changed her FB picture to a US flag.

Converts are always the worst.

If any of your friends are thinking of moving to America you need to show them what living here will do to Euros after awhile.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2015, 04:20:56 PM
Sorry for constantly bringing their posts here, but I need this place to vent. :P

It's not just you, I think we could do with a internet meme/social media venting mega thread; something along the lines. "Stupid shit my family/friends post, so I'll Rolleyes about it here, because I can't rip into them elsewhere"

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2015, 10:36:26 AM
Awesome.

In other news...someone did some counting and is claiming that gun violence since 1968 has killed more Americans than all our wars put together since the American Revolution.

I don't think most people even really understand the incredible scale of carnage that we experience in this country from guns. 33,000 deaths per year. That is as many as are killed in car crashes.

I think the number just kind of blanks out for most Americans - it might as well be 3,000 or 300,000 or 33.

But no matter. We must protect our RAHTS! The ones we invented a couple decades ago.

Those numbers are probably less than auto related deaths, and way less than cancer or heart disease. In the end we just haven't had very many people killed in wars.

I don't own a gun, have no use ever owning a gun, and at the same time my risk of death from gun violence is basically nil. People who aren't involved in crime, aren't going to commit suicide, aren't in a violently abusive relationship, and are rarely around guns have a very low risk of dying through gun violence. The mass shootings get  publicity and discussion precisely because they confront people like me with the prospect of our own violent death. It doesn't change how incredibly unlikely it is.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014