News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on December 03, 2015, 11:15:08 PM
Yeah, we can't be slandering a whole group of people because of the actions of a violent minority, can we?

Who's doing that?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2015, 11:01:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2015, 10:47:48 PM
Bullshit.  Violence against clinics has a direct and immediate impact on daily operations, and a day without an abortion is a day without sunshine.  Besides, today's abortions are tomorrow's improved rush hour commute times.

Yeah, but on the other hand it gives you a chance to try & slander all pro-life folks based on the actions of a lone nutter.  And you love doing that.

If Muslims must repudiate terrorists every time one of their number shoots someone, why shouldn't American conservatives?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

CNN's 5 things to start your day are the San Bernardino shooting, the Senate vote for Obamacare repeal, US military combat positions are now open to women, some follow ups on the Paris Terror Attacks and the Republican candidates talk at the Republican Jewish Coalition forum.  They titled it:

Friday's 5 Things: A fighting chance, a song and dance, a murderous romance

Nothing says "Senseless tragedy" quite like rhyme.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

CNN is reporting, investigating official are saying a link with ISIS has been established. Further the wife posted on Facebook her alliance to the leader of ISIS.

Investigators are saying this is looking more and more like self radicalization.

No link yet.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Awesome.

In other news...someone did some counting and is claiming that gun violence since 1968 has killed more Americans than all our wars put together since the American Revolution.

I don't think most people even really understand the incredible scale of carnage that we experience in this country from guns. 33,000 deaths per year. That is as many as are killed in car crashes.

I think the number just kind of blanks out for most Americans - it might as well be 3,000 or 300,000 or 33.

But no matter. We must protect our RAHTS! The ones we invented a couple decades ago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

That number includes suicides tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2015, 10:36:26 AM
Awesome.

In other news...someone did some counting and is claiming that gun violence since 1968 has killed more Americans than all our wars put together since the American Revolution.

I don't think most people even really understand the incredible scale of carnage that we experience in this country from guns. 33,000 deaths per year. That is as many as are killed in car crashes.

I think the number just kind of blanks out for most Americans - it might as well be 3,000 or 300,000 or 33.

But no matter. We must protect our RAHTS! The ones we invented a couple decades ago.

Yes, thanks.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 04, 2015, 10:40:05 AM
That number includes suicides tho.

Are those not dead people? Or are you trying to suggest that said people would kill themselves even if they didn't have a gun?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on December 04, 2015, 10:24:56 AM
CNN is reporting, investigating official are saying a link with ISIS has been established. Further the wife posted on Facebook her alliance to the leader of ISIS.

Investigators are saying this is looking more and more like self radicalization.

No link yet.

Yeah that is what I thought.

Hey a comfortably middle class guy in the First World becomes a radical fundy and commits acts of terrorism. I thought these guys were supposed to be forced into this because of their bleak economic realities?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Awesome.

What is to be done though? The Supreme Court pretty much decided this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Awesome.

The murder rate in 2013 (latest year we have stats for) was the lowest since 1957. That's the lowest in 56 years. So, while mass shootings are way up in the last two decades, for the vast majority of Americans they're just something depressing they see on the news. They don't affect them and make them feel personally unsafe like the epidemic of violence that accompanied the crack wars of the 80s. Given that, I don't think there's much likelyhood for any change on the gun issue.   
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 04, 2015, 11:07:25 AM
Awesome.

The murder rate in 2013 (latest year we have stats for) was the lowest since 1957. That's the lowest in 56 years. So, while mass shootings are way up in the last two decades, for the vast majority of Americans they're just something depressing they see on the news. They don't affect them and make them feel personally unsafe like the epidemic of violence that accompanied the crack wars of the 80s. Given that, I don't think there's much likelyhood for any change on the gun issue.   

If people like you stick their head in the sand, you are right.

Gun violence is not about mass shootings. That is a tiny, tiny portion of it.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2015, 10:45:20 AM
Awesome.

What is to be done though? The Supreme Court pretty much decided this.

I don't think that is entirely true. There are plenty of laws restricting gun sales and capabilities that are perfectly Constitutional. And the USSC is not unchangeable - it was a change to invent the personal right to carry arms to begin with, and it can change again, if enough people want it to change.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2015, 10:44:34 AM
Hey a comfortably middle class guy in the First World becomes a radical fundy and commits acts of terrorism. I thought these guys were supposed to be forced into this because of their bleak economic realities?

No, global warming is causing the terrorism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall