And we're back!

Main Menu

The king is dead?

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 25, 2009, 04:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2009, 03:15:36 PM
Only? :yeahright:
http://news.google.com/news?q=mtv%20color%20barrier&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS232&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn

The way the MSNBC dude described it, yes.  He made it sound like there was an insidious plot by MTV to exclude blacks by limiting the programming to rock music videos.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

Of course not. The world has been perfect and racism free always, right spiess? And when people call out white people on racism, they are clearly overreacting and making up stories, because that sort of thing never happens EVER.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on June 26, 2009, 03:32:37 PM
Of course not. The world has been perfect and racism free always, right spiess? And when people call out white people on racism, they are clearly overreacting and making up stories, because that sort of thing never happens EVER.

Go make me a burrito, Paco.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2009, 03:21:03 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2009, 03:15:36 PM
Only? :yeahright:
http://news.google.com/news?q=mtv%20color%20barrier&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS232&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn

The way the MSNBC dude described it, yes.  He made it sound like there was an insidious plot by MTV to exclude blacks by limiting the programming to rock music videos.
Most of the articles I've read seem to be implying that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Habsburg on June 26, 2009, 03:20:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 11:59:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2009, 11:21:34 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 11:18:30 AM
Making fun of that show is always good.

I hate all CSNCIS2x12WTFBBQ [insert U.S. city] shows.
See, but that one's the best to make fun of, because David Caruso is super overdramatic.

He went to the same acting school as Glenn Close, Sean Penn, and Al Pacino.
None of them are quite as smarmy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2009, 03:37:35 PM
Quote from: Jaron on June 26, 2009, 03:32:37 PM

Go make me a burrito, Paco.
You aren't exactly proving you are not a racist here.  :lol:

jimmy olsen

I've been listening to all of Jackson's music, and the stuff from his heyday is still just amazing to listen to and watch.

However, in a way I think that it's his stuff that he made when a kid that is most interesting for me. First of all, I'd only heard it before, I'd never seen the performances before. Secondly it's interesting seeing such a young person perform at such a high level, especially when you know that his life outside the studio sucked ass what with the abusive father. And it gets you wondering just how this kid on the screen turned into the loon of his later years. What was going through his head?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Habsburg

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 03:58:22 PM
Quote from: Habsburg on June 26, 2009, 03:20:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 11:59:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2009, 11:21:34 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 11:18:30 AM
Making fun of that show is always good.

I hate all CSNCIS2x12WTFBBQ [insert U.S. city] shows.
See, but that one's the best to make fun of, because David Caruso is super overdramatic.

He went to the same acting school as Glenn Close, Sean Penn, and Al Pacino.
None of them are quite as smarmy.

The Trotsky Penn?  Quite Smarmy, the other two correct, not so much.

jimmy olsen

:contract:
http://www.blender.com/lists/68125/500-greatest-songs-since-you-were-born-451-500.html?p=13
QuoteIt was Jackson's dancing, as much as his singing, that propelled the "Billie Jean" phenomenon. On May 16, 1983, more than 50 million viewers watched Jackson debut his famous moonwalk in a mesmerizing performance on the Motown 25 television special. Then there was the "Billie Jean" video, in which Jackson slinks and whirls through a fantasy cityscape, with a sidewalk that lights up like a disco floor underfoot. MTV rarely aired videos by black performers, and when they refused to show "Billie Jean," CBS Records president Walter Yetnikoff went ballistic. "I said to MTV, 'I'm pulling everything we have off the air, all our product. I'm not going to give you any more videos. And I'm going to go public and fucking tell them about the fact you don't want to play music by a black guy.'" "Billie Jean" was promptly put in heavy rotation, and neither Jackson nor MTV ever looked back.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Good for them. I never knew that about MTV. If they had anything worth watching nowadays, I'd boycott them. :P

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2009, 06:26:42 PM
You aren't exactly proving you are not a racist here.  :lol:

Did I rattle your cage, Polack?  Get back to your kielbasa.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

It is amusing how white trash presume superiority based solely upon the color of their skin and the nice, snug fit of that swastika armband.