News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The king is dead?

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 25, 2009, 04:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2009, 02:30:10 PM
I was thinking last night that, while MJ might have been close to broke prior to his death, his estate sure as fuck won't be due to all the fanbois going nuts over his shit.  That is, it sure as fuck won't be till the family gets its hands on it.

Apparently he's not so poor as has been suspected.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31566907/ns/business-businessweekcom/
QuoteSettling Jackson's estate could be a thriller
Singer's assets include share in music publishing firm worth $500 million

By Christopher Palmeri
updated 11:57 a.m. ET, Fri., June 26, 2009

The King of Pop will likely leave behind one royal estate battle.

Michael Jackson, the onetime child star whose string of hit songs got people boogying from Boise to Bahrain, died suddenly Thursday after being rushed to UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles in a coma. The singer faced a near-constant drumbeat of legal troubles in life. He'll likely cue up plenty of them in death as well.

Although he sold hundreds of millions of records, Jackson's biggest financial hit was a 50 percent interest in a music publishing catalog that includes the rights to the Beatles' songs.

Jackson, 50, always stayed one beat ahead of a conga line of creditors. At every turn there seemed to be one more wealthy benefactor to bail him out. Most recently that was Thomas Barrack, the founder of the Los Angeles real estate investment firm Colony Capital. Last year, Barrack purchased Jackson's Neverland Ranch near Santa Barbara, Calif., for $22 million, just before the property was sold at auction to cover back debts.

Barrack also brought in Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz, who was helping finance a comeback for the singer. Jackson was scheduled to play a series of 50 concerts at London's O2 Arena, which Anschutz owns. The concerts, for which Jackson was to be paid $1 million per night, were to begin July 13. Spokespeople for both Barrack and Anschutz's entertainment business declined to comment.

A genius of a songwriter and performer, Jackson was not so in tune with his personal finances. At one point the star owed more than $270 million to Bank of America. In 2005 the bank sold that debt at a discount to the private equity firm Fortress Investment Group.

Jackson, who reportedly spent as much as $30 million a year during the good times on clothes, travel, and toys for his ranch, successfully fought an attempt to auction many of his personal possessions earlier this year. Over the years those suing Jackson for past-due bills included his former publicist, video director, attorney, and financial advisers.

Not much is known about Jackson's estate planning or will. He leaves behind three children and his well-known brothers, sisters, mother, and father. The star had one asset that will likely be the target of much maneuvering by creditors and heirs in the coming months and years—his 50 percent interest in the Sony/ATV music catalog. Shortly after his string of early 1980s hits that included Thriller, one of the best-selling albums of all time, Jackson was shrewdly advised to buy the Beatles catalog for $47 million. Ten years later, Jackson merged his music company with Sony Corp.'s music publishing arm in a deal reportedly worth $90 million to him.

Today, that company owns the publishing rights to thousands of hit songs by everyone from Neil Diamond to Lady Gaga. Jackson's half interest has been estimated to be worth as much as $500 million. Jackson's own hits are owned by a separate company, also now part of his estate. But like his life, Jackson's estate is unlikely to be settled without controversy.

Copyright © 2009 The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2009, 02:30:10 PM
I was thinking last night that, while MJ might have been close to broke prior to his death, his estate sure as fuck won't be due to all the fanbois going nuts over his shit.  That is, it sure as fuck won't be till the family gets its hands on it.
Those fucks sure are sure.

Habbaku

I wonder how his children will turn out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2009, 02:33:52 PM
um, don't be so shocked, Tim.  this kinda shit happens when most celebs die.  :huh:

Yeah, I've got some selected baseball cards ready to drop on ebay at a moment's notice  :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on June 26, 2009, 02:44:22 PM
I wonder how his children will turn out.

Mostly white, so far.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

um, don't be so shocked, Tim.  this kinda shit happens when most celebs die.  :huh:
Maybe this is just the 1st celebrity to kick the bucket that I'm really interested in but I think it's extreme even by the normal celebrity standards. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2009, 02:45:57 PM
Maybe this is just the 1st celebrity to kick the bucket that I'm really interested in but I think it's extreme even by the normal celebrity standards. :unsure:
Same thing happened with Kurt Cobain, dude.  The day after he dies, everyone is suddenly a Nirvana fan.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

What about all the rappers who sold platinum albums that were released after they died?  :D

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2009, 02:54:34 PM
Same thing happened with Kurt Cobain, dude.  The day after he dies, everyone is suddenly a Nirvana fan.

He gave voice to a generation.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

I was guilty of that :blush:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2009, 02:55:45 PM

What about all the rappers who sold platinum albums that were released after they died?  :D
That's new material though, not records that have already sold a 100 million copies.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on June 26, 2009, 02:55:51 PM

He gave voice to a generation.
And that voice was:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habsburg

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 11:59:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2009, 11:21:34 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 11:18:30 AM
Making fun of that show is always good.

I hate all CSNCIS2x12WTFBBQ [insert U.S. city] shows.
See, but that one's the best to make fun of, because David Caruso is super overdramatic.

He went to the same acting school as Glenn Close, Sean Penn, and Al Pacino.