News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you attend religious services?

Started by Syt, October 05, 2015, 04:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you attend your religion's services?

I'm religious and I do attend services regularly.
11 (18.3%)
I'm religious and I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
4 (6.7%)
I'm religious and I don't attend services.
3 (5%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services regularly.
0 (0%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
9 (15%)
I'm not religious and I don't attend services.
31 (51.7%)
I worship at the altar of Jaron.
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Admiral Yi

I'm generally cool with the singing (unless it's a total oddball hymn that no one knows) but it can be a chore at times to sit through a sermon.

Admiral Yi

Oh yeah, and the "greet your neighbors thing" usually creeps me out.  Churches that hug totally creep me out.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2015, 08:07:25 PM
Oh yeah, and the "greet your neighbors thing" usually creeps me out.  Churches that hug totally creep me out.

Then stay away from my church :P

Grown men cry at my church as well. We keep it real.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Phillip V on October 06, 2015, 07:10:27 PM
Church service on Sunday is easy.  The stuff they want you to do before and after is the hard part.

You got that backward. The before and after stuff is what you would have done anyway. The service is the time-consuming bit.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on October 06, 2015, 07:10:27 PM
Church service on Sunday is easy.  The stuff they want you to do before and after is the hard part.

Sermons are dull, singing is dull. The only good part about church attendance is the pot luck dinners.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Best part of church attendance is the dolled up church girls.

Eddie Teach

I liked the way they dressed for school better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Camerus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on October 06, 2015, 12:22:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 02:38:16 AM
As some of you know I have mellowed out greatly about religion lately and generally think that people who get something good out of religion should not be discouraged from worship and living according with its tenets - as long as they do not try to impose their religious commandments on others.

But "teaching" religion to kids is where I draw the line - like sex and drugs, religion should be something that is done between consenting adults.

You might want to ask what I teach the kids before you burst a spleen. :)

My church is Unitarian Universalist, which is a humanist church. Our class is called "Coming of Age". We're providing a safe space for these middle schoolers to explore their own belief systems, morals, ethics, question what they've been taught, and to come up with their own statement of belief.

Ok, sorry, I withdraw my objection then. It actually sounds very useful.  :hug:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2015, 08:20:54 PM
Grown men cry at my church as well.

I guess that's one say of saying that you follow the Church of Pussy. :P

Gups

The occasional Christmas carol service.

There's a Afro-Carribbean church at the bottom of my road. Folk come in for miles to it. As far as I know it's 100% black. I'd actually like to go but I'm pretty sure that the services are 2 hours+ long.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2015, 02:08:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2015, 08:20:54 PM
Grown men cry at my church as well.

I guess that's one say of saying that you follow the Church of Pussy. :P

Not everybody can be as macho as you :(

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2015, 08:07:25 PM

I *hate* this part of the service. It's the most awkward thing to do, and serves no real purpose. It's not like they'll chat with me around the coffee cake after, anyway.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...