News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you attend religious services?

Started by Syt, October 05, 2015, 04:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you attend your religion's services?

I'm religious and I do attend services regularly.
11 (18.3%)
I'm religious and I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
4 (6.7%)
I'm religious and I don't attend services.
3 (5%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services regularly.
0 (0%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
9 (15%)
I'm not religious and I don't attend services.
31 (51.7%)
I worship at the altar of Jaron.
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 08:27:52 AM
Perhaps. But we probably can agree that teaching children how to swim will probably get you labelled Hitler by fewer people than, say, raping them, right?

Depends upon how you teach them. Using the 'wrong' method of teaching will probably be equated to child abuse many times worse than rape by some obnoxious idiot on the internet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 08:21:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2015, 08:08:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 08:06:01 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2015, 07:54:18 AM
Really, we should refrain from teaching children anything.

I am not sure about it. But we could at least refrain from teaching them lies.

That really depends on what you believe doesn't it?

Yes. Which is why we should probably teach only facts to children, instead of things that are not proven and vary based on a personal belief, shouldn't we?

Well, that prevents you from teaching any thing like poetry, morality, manners, politics and a whole host of other things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hamilcar

I once considered starting my own religion where evil is due to the incarcerated souls of the victims of a galactic emperor zooming around in space DC-9s, but I figure'd there's fuck all chance anyone would sign up.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 06, 2015, 12:19:55 PM
:huh:

How so?

Oh he explains it. Read on :P

It is basically the whole 'religion is child abuse' thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 02:38:16 AM
As some of you know I have mellowed out greatly about religion lately and generally think that people who get something good out of religion should not be discouraged from worship and living according with its tenets - as long as they do not try to impose their religious commandments on others.

But "teaching" religion to kids is where I draw the line - like sex and drugs, religion should be something that is done between consenting adults.

You might want to ask what I teach the kids before you burst a spleen. :)

My church is Unitarian Universalist, which is a humanist church. Our class is called "Coming of Age". We're providing a safe space for these middle schoolers to explore their own belief systems, morals, ethics, question what they've been taught, and to come up with their own statement of belief.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 06, 2015, 12:15:36 PM
I once considered starting my own religion where evil is due to the incarcerated souls of the victims of a galactic emperor zooming around in space DC-9s, but I figure'd there's fuck all chance anyone would sign up.

Is the kind of nonsense they preach at the Temple of Reason?

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 06, 2015, 12:22:06 PM

My church is Unitarian Universalist, which is a humanist church. Our class is called "Coming of Age". We're providing a safe space for these middle schoolers to explore their own belief systems, morals, ethics, question what they've been taught, and to come up with their own statement of belief.

BRAINWASHING!

You monster.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2015, 12:25:58 PM

It's the kind of nonsense we chat about at the pub afterwards, yes.

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 06, 2015, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2015, 12:25:58 PM

It's the kind of nonsense we chat about at the pub afterwards, yes.

Well clearly in their teachings they failed to tell you that the more ridiculous the basis for a religion is the more popular it will be.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on October 06, 2015, 12:19:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 12:08:11 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 05, 2015, 05:55:09 PM
Yes, and yes.

I even teach Sunday School to Middle Schoolers. :)

Now that is fucked up.

:huh:

How so?
you've just join BB on the list of Languish monsters ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2015, 12:29:01 PM
Well clearly in their teachings they failed to tell you that the more ridiculous the basis for a religion is the more popular it will be.
You mean like scientology and raelians? "We're against all religions, so we'll act like a combination of the worst of them instead".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on October 06, 2015, 12:22:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 02:38:16 AM
As some of you know I have mellowed out greatly about religion lately and generally think that people who get something good out of religion should not be discouraged from worship and living according with its tenets - as long as they do not try to impose their religious commandments on others.

But "teaching" religion to kids is where I draw the line - like sex and drugs, religion should be something that is done between consenting adults.

I doesn't matter, what your church is.  He just hasn't thought through what he said.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Church service on Sunday is easy.  The stuff they want you to do before and after is the hard part.

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on October 06, 2015, 07:10:27 PM
Church service on Sunday is easy.  The stuff they want you to do before and after is the hard part.

:unsure: drink coffee and chat with the other parishioners?