News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you attend religious services?

Started by Syt, October 05, 2015, 04:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you attend your religion's services?

I'm religious and I do attend services regularly.
11 (18.3%)
I'm religious and I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
4 (6.7%)
I'm religious and I don't attend services.
3 (5%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services regularly.
0 (0%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
9 (15%)
I'm not religious and I don't attend services.
31 (51.7%)
I worship at the altar of Jaron.
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Brazen

Quote from: Monoriu on October 05, 2015, 04:52:38 AM
Not religious and do not attend religious services.  But my old school was a religious school and every student had to attend morning assemblies.  We sang a hymn every day and recited the Lord's prayer.  Also did church services twice every year, just before Christmas and Easter.  The majority of students and teachers were atheists but everybody went along.
That's pretty much the same as my school. Though I did have additional obligations due to singing in the choir.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2015, 04:02:37 AM
I thought about making a US/non-US split, but I didn't want to inflate the options even more. :P

Me: Not religious, not attending services.
I usually don't attend services, unless it is for funeral, marriages and other stuff like that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Not religious. Weddings and funerals. I used to go to the Holy Eve mass as there was organ music and the boys choir to listen to and sing along. That gave a festive mood, but somehow we did not go in the last few years.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DontSayBanana

Not religious, no.  I'm not particularly opposed to going for things like weddings or funerals, but the majority of the ones I attend are either non-religious or only tangentially religious (as in, say, a token religious officiant offering a prayer or two as part of a vastly secular ceremony).
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Parents brought me constantly as a kid, but I don't go now. I don't get anything out of it. Some people like the group dynamic, and that's fine for them I guess. Plus, you can tell they tailor the services toward a particular demographic for business reasons and I am not in that demo.

Once in a great while, usually on vacation, I find an empty catholic church with the doors open and sit in there for a while. I like that about the papists. Our churches lock the door as soon as service is over.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Oh this is funny: The last church service I attended was while visiting my sis in law in Phoenix. It's a huge church with five or so different campuses. One pastor. We went to the place, a huge auditorium with adjacent event facilities, playgrounds and whatnot. Maybe a school. They had their own bands and everything, but when it came time to hear the sermon, the dude came up on a screen.

He was preaching his sermon to all the campuses via videoconference. I don't think he was actually at any of them. I asked my sis why she needs to go to church when you can just log in to the webcam and hear the service. "For the experience." The audience was 85% female. So I guess if you're a single religious dude there could be a point to it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Sad to see the Church of Jaronianity has faded so much over the years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 05, 2015, 02:21:56 PM
Oh this is funny: The last church service I attended was while visiting my sis in law in Phoenix. It's a huge church with five or so different campuses. One pastor. We went to the place, a huge auditorium with adjacent event facilities, playgrounds and whatnot. Maybe a school. They had their own bands and everything, but when it came time to hear the sermon, the dude came up on a screen.

He was preaching his sermon to all the campuses via videoconference. I don't think he was actually at any of them. I asked my sis why she needs to go to church when you can just log in to the webcam and hear the service. "For the experience." The audience was 85% female. So I guess if you're a single religious dude there could be a point to it.

:bleeding:

Though I have to say religion is partially a social experience. For some reason it is more intense when you are part of a mob. Burning heretics alone is just not the same.

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Valmy