News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you attend religious services?

Started by Syt, October 05, 2015, 04:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you attend your religion's services?

I'm religious and I do attend services regularly.
11 (18.3%)
I'm religious and I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
4 (6.7%)
I'm religious and I don't attend services.
3 (5%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services regularly.
0 (0%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
9 (15%)
I'm not religious and I don't attend services.
31 (51.7%)
I worship at the altar of Jaron.
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2015, 02:06:00 AM
Ok, sorry, I withdraw my objection then. It actually sounds very useful.  :hug:

I was telling the RE director yesterday that it would be a useful class for adults, and they should look into an adaptation for Adult Ed. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Never been to a "hugging church".

Jewish religious services are very tedious, I found. And very lengthy. Much of the service is devoted to ritual praises of God in Hebrew - though on Yom Kippur, the most significant prayer is in Aramaic - which no-one but serious scholars speaks!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2015, 08:54:53 AM

I was telling the RE director yesterday that it would be a useful class for adults, and they should look into an adaptation for Adult Ed. :D

I just found it amusing that Marty thought you were some fire breathing bible thumper given your post history here. 'Today's lesson will be why God blessed the White Race to rule over all others.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2015, 08:59:03 AM

Jewish religious services are very tedious, I found. And very lengthy. Much of the service is devoted to ritual praises of God in Hebrew - though on Yom Kippur, the most significant prayer is in Aramaic - which no-one but serious scholars speaks!

A long tedious ritualistic exercise using language nobody understands? Obviously it is just preparing Jewish youth for careers in the law.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2015, 09:01:30 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2015, 08:59:03 AM

A long tedious ritualistic exercise using language nobody understands? Obviously it is just preparing Jewish youth for careers in the law.

:D

Actually, that comes from other aspects of Judaism - disputation over the arcane and (mostly) meaningless Halakhah rules.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

You alternate church people are so weird.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2015, 09:00:15 AM

I just found it amusing that Marty thought you were some fire breathing bible thumper given your post history here. 'Today's lesson will be why God blessed the White Race to rule over all others.'

Yeah. I'm a recovering Catholic. I'm not exactly overly enthusiastic about organized religion on a good day.

merithyn

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 07, 2015, 09:26:48 AM
You alternate church people are so weird.

It is the alternative to the lies of the heretics.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2015, 12:59:54 PM

Yeah. I'm a recovering Catholic. I'm not exactly overly enthusiastic about organized religion on a good day.

Well, I'm a recovering spiritual-phobe and a former recovering Catholic. ;)

Martinus

It was a knee-jerk reaction. I just haven't encountered anything like Unitarians in this country. Sometimes I am thinking I should move to the US, to a place like Oregon. :P

crazy canuck

Not religious but I particularly enjoyed watching Mass in the cathedral in Assisi.   

Admiral Yi

My main beef with Catholic mass (based on one data point) is the constant kneeling and getting up.

MadImmortalMan

The churches are beautiful though. I spent my childhood going to church in places that looked like warehouses and school gyms.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

The stuffy, incense-filled atmosphere of Catholic churches, which, while spiritually fulfilling made me feel nauseous constantly as a child, may have contributed to me abandoning the Catholic Church.

That, or the dick sucking thing.