News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you attend religious services?

Started by Syt, October 05, 2015, 04:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you attend your religion's services?

I'm religious and I do attend services regularly.
11 (18.3%)
I'm religious and I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
4 (6.7%)
I'm religious and I don't attend services.
3 (5%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services regularly.
0 (0%)
I'm not religious but I do attend services occasionally (Easter, Christmas, etc.).
9 (15%)
I'm not religious and I don't attend services.
31 (51.7%)
I worship at the altar of Jaron.
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

katmai

Every Saturday and Sunday from Aug through January.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 12:08:11 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 05, 2015, 05:55:09 PM
Yes, and yes.

I even teach Sunday School to Middle Schoolers. :)

Now that is fucked up.

The peer pressure for attending Sunday School when I was a kid was truly obnoxious (me and brother didn't attend, but most of our friends did), and probably a contributor for my general distaste of religion when I grew up. God (pun intended) has this country changed for good.

Martinus

As some of you know I have mellowed out greatly about religion lately and generally think that people who get something good out of religion should not be discouraged from worship and living according with its tenets - as long as they do not try to impose their religious commandments on others.

But "teaching" religion to kids is where I draw the line - like sex and drugs, religion should be something that is done between consenting adults.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 02:38:16 AM
As some of you know I have mellowed out greatly about religion lately and generally think that people who get something good out of religion should not be discouraged from worship and living according with its tenets - as long as they do not try to impose their religious commandments on others.

Congratulations on your 17th birthday Marti. :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Really, we should refrain from teaching children anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2015, 07:54:18 AM

I am not sure about it. But we could at least refrain from teaching them lies.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 08:06:01 AM

That really depends on what you believe doesn't it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

But "teaching" religion to kids is where I draw the line - like sex and drugs, religion should be something that is done between consenting adults.
Have you ever met someone who found religion in adult life?  I think society is better off with 10 religious people who were brainwashed in childhood than with 9 critically-thinking atheists and a neophyte.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2015, 08:08:44 AM

Yes. Which is why we should probably teach only facts to children, instead of things that are not proven and vary based on a personal belief, shouldn't we?

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2015, 08:08:44 AM

I think it depends on more on your tolerance for saying things that 80%+ of your fellow citizens will not like hearing.

Valmy

Well doing anything with children is going to get you labelled Hitler by somebody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2015, 08:19:54 AM

Have you ever met someone who found religion in adult life?  I think society is better off with 10 religious people who were brainwashed in childhood than with 9 critically-thinking atheists and a neophyte.

I disagree. Besides, it rather depends on the religion they find. Adult-life buddhists are quite agreeable.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 08:21:00 AM
Yes. Which is why we should probably teach only facts to children, instead of things that are not proven and vary based on a personal belief, shouldn't we?

This is why I hate public school boards. This would lead to hours of furious accusations about who has the facts and who is evil. :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 08:22:14 AM
I disagree. Besides, it rather depends on the religion they find. Adult-life buddhists are quite agreeable.

But those raised Buddhists are evil?

The newly converted are actually typically the fanatics.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2015, 08:21:44 AM

Well doing anything with children is going to get you labelled Hitler by somebody.

Perhaps. But we probably can agree that teaching children how to swim will probably get you labelled Hitler by fewer people than, say, raping them, right?