sub-Roman Britain, the Romano-British, and the Welsh

Started by Caliga, September 28, 2015, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 03:07:47 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:05:15 PM
Bede is actually the reason why I am interested in this period of history in the first place, though I haven't read his book since college... but that's when I first was introduced to it.  It's one of the most fascinating histories I ever read.  It was amazing to me how you would have petty kingdoms where a king was a Christian, and then his son was like "fuck that, I love WOTAN" and then his son converted back, etc.  Before I read that book I didn't realize how much of a struggle the Christianization of Europe was.  I guess I imagined it all happened at once all nice and peaceful-like.

Yeah it was a very slow process. Christianity was structured around city life and had a hard time transitioning out into the countryside. Remember one thousand years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire the last pagan nation (much less person) had only been converted for a few decades.
funny how it seems the opposite nowadays, with Christian life being stronger in the country-side than in the cities.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2015, 03:17:22 PM
funny how it seems the opposite nowadays, with Christian life being stronger in the country-side than in the cities.

Not a coincidence. The conservatism of the countryside has always been very strong. The hopelessness of being a farmer in the face of the tyranny of the elements tends to provoke a certain mentality.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on September 28, 2015, 03:14:44 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 28, 2015, 03:08:32 PM
Odin was a real man.

You learned that from the documentary Valhalla Rising:hmm:

Actually from EUOT. And someone suggested that the poster who presented this info liked real men.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I always wonder if there's some isolated hamlet someplace in Scandinavia where people still secretly worship Thor. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Your chances for that kind of thing are probably better in Iceland. But maybe Norgy will comment and set me straight  :P

The Brain

Iceland became Christian fairly early IIRC. As late as the 12th century parts of Sweden were pagan, and local traditions may have lasted longer. IIRC there's a medieval folk tale where someone comes to an isolated settlement where they tell him that they still worship the old gods. Of course much of the traditions blended into the general elves/trolls/Satan part of folklore.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:22:06 PM
I always wonder if there's some isolated hamlet someplace in Scandinavia where people still secretly worship Thor. :hmm:

Hey, it isn't any secret - just listen to some Black Metal.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

I remember reading about some thing called the "Troll Kirk" in rural Norway or Sweden that may have been used for pagan ceremonies as late as the 18th century? :hmm:

The Brain

Sounds like speculation. Of course some traditions even today are of pagan origin, but I haven't heard of any kind of "real" pagan worship surviving that long.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on September 28, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:22:06 PM

Hey, it isn't any secret - just listen to some Black Metal.  :D

If I ever front a black metal band I'm gonna go by the name Growl Wallenberg. :)

Caliga

The Minsky Moment

Yeah it was a very slow process. Christianity was structured around city life and had a hard time transitioning out into the countryside. Remember one thousand years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire the last pagan nation (much less person) had only been converted for a few decades.

Hence the etymology of "pagan"

One could argue that process of interaction and conflict with traditional practices never really ended.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2015, 02:39:44 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 02:33:01 PM
I thought Gaulish had survived in France until even after the Frankish conquest?
Gaulish was supplanted by Vulgar Latin[7] and various Germanic languages from around the 5th century AD onwards.
From Wikipedia.

Yeah, but other sources say other things.  There's a lot we don't know about the linguistic history of Europe from Classical times up to about 1500 (or even later, in some cases).  Heck, according to most sources I've seen, we don't really even know when spoken Latin morphed into proto-French, -Spanish, etc.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 28, 2015, 05:06:01 PM

Hence the etymology of "pagan"

One could argue that process of interaction and conflict with traditional practices never really ended.

I wonder if people in the hinterland of Russia still cling to traditional Marxism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017