sub-Roman Britain, the Romano-British, and the Welsh

Started by Caliga, September 28, 2015, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:02:50 PM
@ Valmy While I have no evidence to contradict what you said I somehow find it hard to believe they would switch languages willingly.  I can maybe go along with the religion part as I don't know to what extent the peasantry of Britain was really Christian at that point anyway.  Even if the upper classes were thoroughly Christianized, they were more likely to have had the means to have fled to safety in Wales/the Old North/Cornwall.

Well that is what the latest evidence suggests. People were less obnoxiously nationalist back in the day. Remember there were a lot of migrating Angles/Saxons/Jutes so they would be living side by side as neighbors. And why flee? Good land is hard to come by.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Bede is actually the reason why I am interested in this period of history in the first place, though I haven't read his book since college... but that's when I first was introduced to it.  It's one of the most fascinating histories I ever read.  It was amazing to me how you would have petty kingdoms where a king was a Christian, and then his son was like "fuck that, I love WOTAN" and then his son converted back, etc.  Before I read that book I didn't realize how much of a struggle the Christianization of Europe was.  I guess I imagined it all happened at once all nice and peaceful-like.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:05:15 PM
Bede is actually the reason why I am interested in this period of history in the first place, though I haven't read his book since college... but that's when I first was introduced to it.  It's one of the most fascinating histories I ever read.  It was amazing to me how you would have petty kingdoms where a king was a Christian, and then his son was like "fuck that, I love WOTAN" and then his son converted back, etc.  Before I read that book I didn't realize how much of a struggle the Christianization of Europe was.  I guess I imagined it all happened at once all nice and peaceful-like.

Yeah it was a very slow process. Christianity was structured around city life and had a hard time transitioning out into the countryside. Remember one thousand years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire the last pagan nation (much less person) had only been converted for a few decades.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:05:15 PM

Heh I mentioned this before, but when I was touristing in England I saw a fancy royal genological chart purporting to trace the geneology of all the English monarchs ... and the ancestor at the base of the genological tree was ... Wotan.  :lol:

To this day, they haven't given that up ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Well of course. Wotan was Hengist and Horsa's Great-Grandfather.

Caliga

Odin/Wotan is the coolest God EVAR.  I wish the world still worshipped that one-eyed badass.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:10:11 PM
Odin/Wotan is the coolest God EVAR.  I wish the world still worshipped that one-eyed badass.

Convert to Odinism Cal!

The Brain

I grew up on Odin Street. :)

Göring lived on that street for a time during his Swedish period. :ph34r:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 02:54:02 PM
Though the Empire was not doing any wars of territorial conquests during the time it was Catholic :P
Bah.  They reaped the fruit of their conquest :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 03:11:40 PM
Convert to Odinism Cal!
Nah, it's too religion-ey for me.  I'd have to stop being so cynical and shit... :(

Valmy

Well it is not that they didn't want to viper, they saw the inevitable destiny of the Empire was to rule the entire world and convert it to the One True Faith(tm) and then when Jesus shows back up to hand the Imperial Diadem over to him. But something funny happened on the way to the inevitable destiny.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 03:11:40 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:10:11 PM

Convert to Odinism Cal!

Onanism, maybe.  ;)