sub-Roman Britain, the Romano-British, and the Welsh

Started by Caliga, September 28, 2015, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 08:22:27 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 29, 2015, 07:01:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 03:25:14 PM
Your chances for that kind of thing are probably better in Iceland. But maybe Norgy will comment and set me straight  :P

Iceland adopted Christianity fairly early in around 1000 AD by arbitration at the Alþing. Eating horseflesh, exposure of infants and private pagan worship were retained from the old customs to smooth things over.

Today there's a solid Ásatrú community here but it's a modern revival.

Ah I guess because the Eddas were written down in Iceland I thought they were the last to convert, rather than amongst the first.

The survival of the Eddas in Iceland was largely the work of one guy - Snorri Sturluson - who was most definitely not a pagan himself. He was a very gifted writer, and a very un-gifted politician, who died miserably having backed the wrong would-be King of Norway ... assassinated on the orders of the king who won (his last words were, allegedly, "do not strike!"  :pinch: ).

Most interestingly, he advanced the notion that the pagan gods were basically deified tribal leaders.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2015, 08:56:04 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2015, 08:43:15 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 28, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 03:22:06 PM
I always wonder if there's some isolated hamlet someplace in Scandinavia where people still secretly worship Thor. :hmm:

Hey, it isn't any secret - just listen to some Black Metal.  :D
Black Metal is about devil worshippers and church burning.
Viking Metal, Scandinavian folk metal, Celtic metal, Power metal, these are the things you're looking for.  :nerd:

I bow to your encylopedic knowledge of the different flavours of metal.    ;)
Folk/pagan metal

Viking/pagan metal

Finnish folk metal

Black Metal

There's a distinct flavour in each ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

Caliga, check out the British History Podcast.  They go in to a ludicrous amount of detail about Sub-Roman Britain.  It's fantastic. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on September 29, 2015, 09:54:28 AM
Caliga, check out the British History Podcast.  They go in to a ludicrous amount of detail about Sub-Roman Britain.  It's fantastic. 

The guy has so many axes to grind his axes' axes need grinding. But he sure does get down to nitty gritty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2015, 01:23:39 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2015, 12:50:23 PMutilized Latin as their primary written language

Not much of a surprise. Have you looked at Welsh? :P
Welsh didn't even exist in written form until the 6th century when they adopted the Latin alphabet.

Brazen

From Time Team I gather that certain chieftains and their lineage managed to cling on to some semblance of Roman culture and lifestyle in enclaves throughout England. But they gradually ran out of the skill and willpower to maintain technology like hypocaust systemss, and local systems of law were reclaimed. Plus we didn't like to be told to wash and wear pants :P

Valmy

But the Romans were the greatest anti-pants civilization in history  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Brazen

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 10:08:43 AM
But the Romans were the greatest anti-pants civilization in history  :(
That was before they encountered our climate :P

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 09:55:26 AM

The guy has so many axes to grind his axes' axes need grinding. But he sure does get down to nitty gritty.
I believe I have been on Languish long enough that it should surprise no one that I am not troubled by someone who
1) Has inexplicably intense animosities about 1,000 year old issues
2) gets in to ludicrous amounts of details, especially when describing said issues
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 09:55:26 AM

Grinding axes was a very useful life skill in sub-Roman Britain.  :contract: Can't fight off invading barbarians with a dull axe.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 08:20:20 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2015, 10:47:24 PM
As for Indo-European paganism, it's still alive and well, in India.

Well yes I was not saying all paganisms everywhere are dead. Just that I was hopeful that a bit more was known about Lithuanian practices since they were practicing so late but sadly little remains but very basics.

I'm not sad about it at all. :) 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 11:21:00 AM

Well yes I was not saying all paganisms everywhere are dead. Just that I was hopeful that a bit more was known about Lithuanian practices since they were practicing so late but sadly little remains but very basics.

Why not? The tragedy can hardly be vocalized without tears rolling down my cheeks.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 11:28:59 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 11:21:00 AM

Why not? The tragedy can hardly be vocalized without tears rolling down my cheeks.

Because native Indo-European religions were rather nasty.  Human sacrifice, infanticide, etc.  It's no coincidence that first revival of pagan beliefs were by rather nasty nationalist groups who wanted something more muscular and bloody then womanly Christianity.  Good riddance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017