sub-Roman Britain, the Romano-British, and the Welsh

Started by Caliga, September 28, 2015, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2015, 05:39:38 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2015, 12:25:25 PM
The Nazis ruined the Germanic faiths.
I wonder where they would be if they didn't have the far right associations. In the Scandinavian version and the Roman records of the Germans, it is one of the better recorded old pagan faiths afterall.
Roman records on the matter shouldn't be taken as gospel.

I don't think anybody is taking them that way Tim. But there are records and that is something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2015, 05:17:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 29, 2015, 09:54:28 AM
Caliga, check out the British History Podcast.  They go in to a ludicrous amount of detail about Sub-Roman Britain.  It's fantastic. 

The guy has so many axes to grind his axes' axes need grinding. But he sure does get down to nitty gritty.
Elaborate

He hates the Romans to a hilarious degree. He also strongly disagrees with the traditional views on Anglo-Saxon history. Now generally those are fine biases to have but he is really intense about them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 05:47:07 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2015, 05:17:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 29, 2015, 09:54:28 AM
Caliga, check out the British History Podcast.  They go in to a ludicrous amount of detail about Sub-Roman Britain.  It's fantastic. 

The guy has so many axes to grind his axes' axes need grinding. But he sure does get down to nitty gritty.
Elaborate

He hates the Romans to a hilarious degree. He also strongly disagrees with the traditional views on Anglo-Saxon history. Now generally those are fine biases to have but he is really intense about them.
Why?

All that's going through my head right now is the "what did the Romans ever do for us" scene from a life of Bryan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2015, 06:00:23 PM
Why?

Sexist imperialists whose culture was a pale reflection of Greece that everybody was glad to see go. Basically.

Which, again, is fine plenty of people think that. I just got tired of hearing it over and over again after awhile  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 06:09:34 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2015, 06:00:23 PM
Why?

Sexist imperialists whose culture was a pale reflection of Greece that everybody was glad to see go. Basically.

Which, again, is fine plenty of people think that. I just got tired of hearing it over and over again after awhile  :lol:
:o :o :o

Shocked and Appalled!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2015, 12:25:25 PM
The Nazis ruined the Germanic faiths.
I wonder where they would be if they didn't have the far right associations. In the Scandinavian version and the Roman records of the Germans, it is one of the better recorded old pagan faiths afterall.

I think they were ruined way before the Nazis.

"I was a pagan German, and all I got was a rope around the neck". 

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Yeah, Athens was not unlike modern Saudi Arabia.  Women wore veils, were not allowed out without a guardians, lived in separate compartments of the houses from the men.  It is strange how often we forget.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 09:56:18 PM
Yeah, Athens was not unlike modern Saudi Arabia.  Women wore veils, were not allowed out without a guardians, lived in separate compartments of the houses from the men.  It is strange how often we forget.

Well being on an equal level with a civilization 2500 years later is not so bad. But the comparison to show how sexist the Romans were was being made against the Celts.

Quote"I was a pagan German, and all I got was a rope around the neck".

Ancient cultures have things that go against modern cultural sensibilities? You don't say Raz.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 10:36:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 09:56:18 PM

Well being on an equal level with a civilization 2500 years later is not so bad. But the comparison to show how sexist the Romans were was being made against the Celts.

Quote"I was a pagan German, and all I got was a rope around the neck".

Ancient cultures have things that go against modern cultural sensibilities? You don't say Raz.

Not all ancient cultures sacrificed human beings.  I think "strangling people and tossing them in the bog" goes a bit beyond "violating our culture sensibilities".  There is also some evidence that the Muslims got their attitudes about women from the ancient Greeks, the wellspring of Western culture. Funny that.  It does make one think though, who are the true inheritor of the culture that outlawed meteorology and invented the blood libel.  The West or the Middle East?

garbon

No it doesn't make one think at all. Maybe just roll one's eyes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

The Brain

The Athenians wanted to live on Germanic welfare. Good riddance.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2015, 12:43:25 AM
Not all ancient cultures sacrificed human beings.  I think "strangling people and tossing them in the bog" goes a bit beyond "violating our culture sensibilities". 

If you are going to play at comparing ancient cultures with modern sensibilities you probably want to add in a number of passages from the Old Testament.  Starting with the guy who was willing to sacrifice his own son.  ;)   Now it is true that this passage may be a message to the ancients that human sacrifice is no longer acceptable.  But you must admit that the willingness to sacrifice a son is at least evidence that the practice needed to be stopped.