NFL 2015 - FUCK, No Funny Seedy Subject Title

Started by PDH, August 16, 2015, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 09, 2015, 11:25:52 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 09, 2015, 11:24:42 AM
Now if Goodell can just make this ESPN vs. Goodell, he might come out of this okay.

People love ESPN.  :huh:

I'm sure some do, but many hate the network. Maybe mostly college football fans?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

I thought the content of what the pats filmed was legal at that time, but it was the placement of the cameras that was the problem.

If I do remember correctly, while technically a violation it was a rather minor and silly thing for people to get worked up about.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on September 08, 2015, 08:32:01 PM
So, basically, a federal judge has ruled that Tom Brady is too stupid to know that you can be suspended for cheating unless someone specifically tells him so.

No, he ruled that Goodell couldn't punish Brady as he did.  The stupid seems more on your part than Brady's.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin link=topic=13191.msg905883#msg905883

Ok, the CBA assumes players are too stupid to know they can be suspended for cheating unless specifically told so.
The CBA assumes that players cannot be punished for actions that were not against the rules when taken.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2015, 11:10:40 AM
ESPN did a major investigation and that was their conclusion: Goodell and the league helped to cover-up and minimize the Spygate scandal, which actually infuriated the rest of the league.  So when the Pats were caught again this was his "makeup call".

Interesting read if you have the time.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart
It's an interesting article that somehow doesn't include anything from the many coaches who noted that they, too, analyzed opposing bench signals for use in later games.  In fact, ESPN was filming the Jet's defensive coaches' signals, too, throughout the game.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on September 09, 2015, 02:10:27 PM
I thought the content of what the pats filmed was legal at that time, but it was the placement of the cameras that was the problem.

If I do remember correctly, while technically a violation it was a rather minor and silly thing for people to get worked up about.
That is correct.  The violation was about as technical as it gets; had the camera been a few feet higher, it would have been okay.

Bayraktar!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2015, 02:24:27 PM
That is correct.  The violation was about as technical as it gets; had the camera been a few feet higher, it would have been okay.

More than a few feet, but yes the violation was of the location it was filmed from.  Specifically, teams can't film from locations where the coaches can get access to the information during the game.

Of course, the bigger issue is that Goodell circulated a memo to all teams before the season reinforcing the rule and Belichick decided to ignore it.  So the magnitude of the response was all Goodell butthurt.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2015, 11:10:40 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 09, 2015, 10:58:30 AM
This is entirely consistent however for the Pats - "We didn't know that was illegal" was their defense for taping opponents and stealing their playcalling signs. That time Goodell helped them cover it up, this time he went after them hard.

ESPN did a major investigation and that was their conclusion: Goodell and the league helped to cover-up and minimize the Spygate scandal, which actually infuriated the rest of the league.  So when the Pats were caught again this was his "makeup call".

Interesting read if you have the time.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Is any of this a revelation?  First thing that came to my mind when the NFL announced its Deflategate punishment was that it was a make-up call.  I'd have preferred Spygate to have been dealt with more severely, but since that ship had already sailed I was okay with the Deflategate punishment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

But is there any penalty suitable for the unforgivable crime of placing cameras slightly off kilter?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2015, 04:49:07 PM
Is any of this a revelation?  First thing that came to my mind when the NFL announced its Deflategate punishment was that it was a make-up call.  I'd have preferred Spygate to have been dealt with more severely, but since that ship had already sailed I was okay with the Deflategate punishment.

The punishment against the team was probably okay, but to fine Tom Brady $2 million because you don't think you punished Robert Kraft or Bill Belichick enough seven years ago isn't "okay" with anyone who believes in justice.

Whether billionaires fine each other a few million here or there is of no moment to me.  What was great about deflategate was the speed with which Goodell dispensed with any illusion that it wasn't a witch hunt.  I am especially tickled that he paid Ted Wells millions of dollars to produce that stinking pile of horseshit, and that Wells sold his credibility for cash. 

Goodell could have stuck with the fine and other punishments for the team, in accordance with his own rules, and even if it was a "makeup call" no one would mind or object.  But, no, he had to spend millions of dollars of other peoples' money to make himself look like the world's second-biggest ass.  That he got his comeuppance only makes the story sweeter.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Finally managed to watch the game, very pleased with the Pattiots performance,  especially that of the defense.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Gronk is ridiculous!  :lol:

Rob Gronkowski is now tied with Jason Witten (57) for 5th All-Time in TE Receiving Touchdowns. Witten has played 191 Games. Gronk 66 games.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2015, 11:17:38 PM
He really is...

It is like the biggest douchebag frat boy of all time was also a world class athlete. Well actually it is not like that at all...it is literally that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2015, 11:46:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2015, 11:17:38 PM
He really is...

It is like the biggest douchebag frat boy of all time was also a world class athlete. Well actually it is not like that at all...it is literally that.

Indeed - I know that I give him a pass for being  a gigantic 6 year old d-bag because he went to Arizona, but his asshattery is just so hard to really hate.

He is this giant man-beast-child.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned