NFL 2015 - FUCK, No Funny Seedy Subject Title

Started by PDH, August 16, 2015, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2015, 12:13:57 PM
What desperate loser got a Kirk Cousins jersey?

I have two Redskins Jersey. John Riggins and Art Monk baby. There actually should be a rule that only players from the 80s are allowed to have their jerseys sold.

I don't care what rules you pass, I will never give up my Ron Mexico jersey.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 27, 2015, 09:25:31 PM
Ryan Mallett overslept and missed practice.  Dumbass.

I was going to call him a loser, but then I remembered that today I slept in a bit and was late for a meeting, and I do this about once a week.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2015, 10:16:07 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 27, 2015, 09:25:31 PM
Ryan Mallett overslept and missed practice.  Dumbass.

I was going to call him a loser, but then I remembered that today I slept in a bit and was late for a meeting, and I do this about once a week.

Yeah, but he probably has a lot more on the line than you do.  This is just something you do not do in the NFL.  Ever. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2015, 10:09:20 PM
I don't care what rules you pass, I will never give up my Ron Mexico jersey.  :P

That rule only applies to Redskins jerseys :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Any future Hall of Fame QBs in the current crop?

grumbler

So, the judge gives Brady a grand slam win in "deflategate," as I predicted.
QuoteBerman, in a 40-page decision that found several "significant legal deficiencies" in the N.F.L. case, ruled that Brady was not treated fairly and could not be suspended for deflating footballs because he was not aware such misconduct could lead to the kind of punishment he received...
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/04/sports/football/tom-brady-suspension-deflategate.html

And this was with the NFL head office's chosen judge.   A regular judge would have suspended Goodell for four games.  How much longer are the owners going to tolerate even a stooge commissioner when he looks so bad, so often?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I know. Everybody pretty much hates Goodell. I mean not as much as CdM hated his predecessor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on September 03, 2015, 03:51:31 PM
So, the judge gives Brady a grand slam win in "deflategate," as I predicted.
QuoteBerman, in a 40-page decision that found several "significant legal deficiencies" in the N.F.L. case, ruled that Brady was not treated fairly and could not be suspended for deflating footballs because he was not aware such misconduct could lead to the kind of punishment he received...
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/04/sports/football/tom-brady-suspension-deflategate.html

And this was with the NFL head office's chosen judge.   A regular judge would have suspended Goodell for four games.  How much longer are the owners going to tolerate even a stooge commissioner when he looks so bad, so often?

Yeah, I liked his reasoning, it was solid.

The balls were deflated.
Brady knew it.
Brady interfered with the investigation.

But since Brady did not know he could be suspended for this, then the suspension cannot stand.

A slam dunk result for Pats fans everywhere.

You did some nice and well timed editing of the piece their grumblers. Here is the full sentence:

QuoteBerman, in a 40-page decision that found several "significant legal deficiencies" in the N.F.L. case, ruled that Brady was not treated fairly and could not be suspended for deflating footballs because he was not aware such misconduct could lead to the kind of punishment he received.

So this ruling is simply that Brady is not allowed to be suspended for being a cheater - not that he isn't a cheater.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

I was glad he cheated but he should have admitted it and been suspended. For two games. Like in a sane NFL.

Now I want you to keep on cheating Brady but denying it was not cool. Nobody really gives a damn about slightly inflating balls.  Just like nobody is booting Jerry Rice out of the Hall of Fame for stickum. Football games are not won or lost on that shit, but I appreciate the effort.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Syt

So "I didn't know I could be punished for this" is a valid defense now?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on September 03, 2015, 04:30:18 PM

In our legal system, there are laws that list out forbidden activities, and associated punishments. Ignorance of those laws isn't considered a defense, but the NFL rules don't mirror our legal system. If you don't have a rule with an associated punishment in the rulebook, and you don't have precedent to let people know the general penalties you want to impose for breaking the rule, then why shouldn't it be a valid defense?

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on September 03, 2015, 04:36:32 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 03, 2015, 04:30:18 PM

In our legal system, there are laws that list out forbidden activities, and associated punishments. Ignorance of those laws isn't considered a defense, but the NFL rules don't mirror our legal system. If you don't have a rule with an associated punishment in the rulebook, and you don't have precedent to let people know the general penalties you want to impose for breaking the rule, then why shouldn't it be a valid defense?

Actually, within reason, it should.

I don't really have any problem with this ruling per se - it is basically saying that yeah, Bradya nd the Pats are a bunch of cheaters, but the NFL fucked up and didn't spell out how being a cheating piece of shit can be punished (or not), so they violated what amounts to a private contract between the NFL and the players union.

That is unfortunate, in that it is just going to encourage more cheating, but from the standpoint of the legal finding, it seems pretty reasonable, and consistent.

What is really sad is how people will use this as some kind of exoneration of cheating and then lying about it. And even that is understandable - few people are capable of objective reasoning when it comes to their heroes.

Personally, I always admired Brady as a guy who did things the right way - hyper-competitive, tough, smart, and dedicated. As a kind of half-assed Pats fan (just because they ended up with a couple great Arizona players) that was cool. But certainly he isn't anyone one can admire for doing things the right way anymore.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on September 03, 2015, 04:04:42 PM
Yeah, I liked his reasoning, it was solid.

The balls were deflated.

There is no evidence that the deflation of the balls was due to any cause other than the deflation expected under the Ideal Gas Law.  The Colts balls deflated in the cold, as well.

Besides, the ball deflation scenario set out by Wells is impossible.  One man precisely deflating 12 footballs in 58 seconds in a tiny bathroom?  Not possible, especially when four people couldn't even measure more than 14 footballs in 15 minutes.

QuoteBrady knew it.

There is absolutely no evidence of this.

QuoteBrady interfered with the investigation.

This is a flat-out fabrication.  Brady did the minimum he could to help the Wells witchunt, true, but he provided Wells with all the knowledge Wells needed, and Wells refused to use it.  Brady met with Wells every time he was requested to, and answered every one of Wells's questions.

QuoteBut since Brady did not know he could be suspended for this, then the suspension cannot stand.

Goodell cannot make up his own system of justice, true.  Ex post facto doesn't work in a court of law.

QuoteA slam dunk result for Pats fans everywhere.

Also a slam dunk result for fans of justice everywhere.

QuoteYou did some nice and well timed editing of the piece their grumblers. Here is the full sentence:

QuoteBerman, in a 40-page decision that found several "significant legal deficiencies" in the N.F.L. case, ruled that Brady was not treated fairly and could not be suspended for deflating footballs because he was not aware such misconduct could lead to the kind of punishment he received.

I directly quoted the article, changing not a word.  Even your quote is identical to mine. Why are you lying about some fictional "editing?"  Can't you just eat your crow honestly?

QuoteSo this ruling is simply that Brady is not allowed to be suspended for being a cheater - not that he isn't a cheater./quote]

The case wasn't about some fictional "cheating," it was about whether Brady received due process in the arbitration procedure.  He didn't, to the point that Judge Berman, even though he tried his best to get Goodell to realize how moronic he was being and settle the suit, had to simply toss out Goodell's kangaroo justice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 03, 2015, 04:13:01 PM
I was glad he cheated but he should have admitted it and been suspended. For two games. Like in a sane NFL.

Now I want you to keep on cheating Brady but denying it was not cool. Nobody really gives a damn about slightly inflating balls.  Just like nobody is booting Jerry Rice out of the Hall of Fame for stickum. Football games are not won or lost on that shit, but I appreciate the effort.

There isn't even any evidence that any cheating occurred, let alone that Brady cheated. 

Valmy, why don't you just admit that you, not Craig James, killed those five hookers at SMU?  Denying it isn't cool.

Bayraktar!