McDonald's launches all-day breakfast (but hungry Brits miss out)

Started by garbon, September 03, 2015, 11:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2015, 01:44:40 PM
Do y'all's kebab joints serve fried potatoes with gooey white garlic sauce on top?

I think that's more of a gyros thing, but I may be wrong.

A kebab is usually either rolled up thin bread or a pita with veg, meat and your choice of sauce. Some joints put fries in the kebab, which just makes them soggy.

A few years ago, tests showed at least one kebab place in Oslo had very special sauce. It had: Sperm in it.
You're fairly bored with your job when you wank into the kebab sauce.

Syt

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/09/wunderbar-the-proficiency-of-german-mcdonalds/407524/?utm_source=SFFB

QuoteWunderbar: The Proficiency of German McDonald's

On Friday, news broke that McDonald's in Germany would feature the franchise's first-ever organic burger for a limited time. This is something that even Shake Shack, Five Guys, and most other venerated high-brow burger chains have yet to do.

But even before the "McB" becomes a momentary reality in one of McDonald's biggest markets, it seems worthwhile to point just how impressive the Golden Arches are in Deutschland. As I started to make my case with colleagues today, Matt Ford suggested McDonald's offerings in France deserve credit. Meanwhile Olga praised Luxembourg's outposts, which boast "fried balls of molten chocolate" on their menus. I'll let them make their own cases, but here's mine for Germany.

First, I urge you to look above. Pictured is a McCountry breakfast sandwich from a McDonald's in Berlin. Contained in this glorious concoction: egg, cheese, sausage, bacon, and lettuce, all with a spicy Hollandaise sauce on a toasted roll.

Did I mention tomato? Look at that tomato. (Ignore the Lonely Planet. I'm embarrassed enough about that, okay?) Many rightly lament the state of the corporate tomato, but forget an heirloom; this tomato is a treasure.

Imagine all this made-to-order and served in under four minutes. And it was incredible. Whenever German diet meets German efficiency, it's good to bring an appetite. I ate this sandwich three years ago and I think about it at least once a month.

:huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

In the US, you'd only get a fast food tomato that red if pumped full of dye.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

When I was a BK manager in the 90s, the most expensive item on a Whopper was the tomato. May no longer be the case, since they seem to have spent the last 20 years cheapening down everything. Plastic tomatoes could very well have been part of that for all I know.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

You can still get a burger with a second patty cheaper than one with a tomato.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 28, 2015, 01:58:10 PM
When I was a BK manager in the 90s, the most expensive item on a Whopper was the tomato. May no longer be the case, since they seem to have spent the last 20 years cheapening down everything. Plastic tomatoes could very well have been part of that for all I know.

I think tomato was one of the first food items to be sucessfully genetically modified.  One of the reasons why tomato was expensive was because when transported in bulk, tomato would crush each other to paste.  They made it so that the tomato would have a stronger constitution, so that it would have a higher survival rate.

It was a big mistake, actually, as consumers did not benefit directly.  So there was a general revolt against genetically modified food.   

Syt

I've never had any tomato issues over here, be it in the usual burger joints, or at random kebab stands.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.