Who would you vote if the 2016 election is Trump vs. Sanders

Started by jimmy olsen, August 03, 2015, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you vote if the 2016 election is Trump vs. Sanders?

American - I'd vote for Trump
11 (13.8%)
American - I'd vote for Sanders
27 (33.8%)
American - I'd vote for a right wing third party candidate
2 (2.5%)
American - I'd vote for a left wing third party candidate
2 (2.5%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for Trump
8 (10%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for Sanders
25 (31.3%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for a right wing third party candidate
1 (1.3%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for a left wing third party candidate
4 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 79

garbon

Nah, normal people should have them. Presidents ain't normal people though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 28, 2015, 05:02:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2015, 04:43:40 PM
He doesn't sound like the kind of person who should in the real world, be president then. Principles? WTF?

That's true if you don't believe in principles. Principles are for suckers, right?
They're definitely not for effective politicians operating in somewhat corrupt systems.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 28, 2015, 04:36:51 PM

In other words, he is the kind of guy Raz would hate, and so the kind of guy I like.  He and Jim Harbaugh would get along great.

I remember when you went nutty over Fred Thompson, and told us over and over how he was wasn't actually an actor despite acting in many films.  When I said he was a lazy campaigner and wouldn't amount to anything you said I didn't know what I was talking about then just kept responding with the ROLF smiley.  Then he dropped out because he was behind in the polls in Iowa due to him only scheduling two events a day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

In lighter news, the anti-Christie PAC has been driven out of business due to heavy competition from Chris Christie.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2015, 05:14:51 PM
They're definitely not for effective politicians operating in somewhat corrupt systems.

Webb got all but one of his sponsored bills passed by the Senate and enacted into law.  If that is ineffective, I don't know what "effective politicians operating in somewhat corrupt systems" means.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 28, 2015, 05:30:51 PM

Webb got all but one of his sponsored bills passed by the Senate and enacted into law.  If that is ineffective, I don't know what "effective politicians operating in somewhat corrupt systems" means.
Well, I don't know anything about that.  He may not have sponsored many bills to begin with, and maybe not taken on any bills that would spark a battle.

What I do know is that he has no events scheduled.  Maybe he should've been less principled, run for re-election, and thus not be completely forgotten about by 90% of American public.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 28, 2015, 05:30:51 PM

:hmm:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/browse?sponsor=412249

That does not appear to be even close to true.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2015, 05:34:13 PM
What I do know is that he has no events scheduled.  Maybe he should've been less principled, run for re-election, and thus not be completely forgotten about by 90% of American public. 

If his ambition all along was to be POTUS, I am sure he would have done a lot of things differently.  But, unlike all the other candidates,  he comes to the nomination fight having only decided to seek the presidency within the last coupla months.  Probably he should be less principled.  He'd better match the typical primary voter if he had no principles.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Maybe I am watching the wrong shows (e.g. Bill Maher) and following wrong people on Facebook, but it seems to me Bernie Sanders is getting more and more coverage and more and more people speak about him as a possible Democratic candidate.

So my question to you guys is: have there been many other cases in recent years (say the last 20 years) where there was initially a similar momentum behind a potential Democratic nominee but in the end he just crashed and burned (absent of a scandal)? I am not talking about the presumed front runner being actually over taken by a challenger (as this is what happened with Clinton and Obama) but rather a likely challenger appearing, gaining ground and then actually losing out the nomination.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on August 29, 2015, 04:05:40 AM
Maybe I am watching the wrong shows (e.g. Bill Maher) and following wrong people on Facebook, but it seems to me Bernie Sanders is getting more and more coverage and more and more people speak about him as a possible Democratic candidate.

So my question to you guys is: have there been many other cases in recent years (say the last 20 years) where there was initially a similar momentum behind a potential Democratic nominee but in the end he just crashed and burned (absent of a scandal)? I am not talking about the presumed front runner being actually over taken by a challenger (as this is what happened with Clinton and Obama) but rather a likely challenger appearing, gaining ground and then actually losing out the nomination.

John McCain in 2000?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Some people are actually saying that there isn't in fact much of a momentum for Sanders, and that the media needs to generate catchy stories to keep up the interest.  "Hillary Clinton still the overwhelming favorite to get the nomination" stories don't catch many eyeballs.

garbon

A friend set me a link where Hillary set the record straight that her hair is real but the colour is not. I laughed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

A guy so right wing he is off the scale and would spell certain doom or a moderate social democrat? Hmm, I wonder.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2015, 05:11:44 AM

John McCain in 2000?

Teddy Kennedy 1980.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers