President Putin 'probably' approved Litvinenko murder

Started by Syt, January 21, 2016, 04:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35370819?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

QuotePresident Putin 'probably' approved Litvinenko murder

The murder of former spy Alexander Litvinenko in 2006 was "probably" approved by President Vladimir Putin, a public inquiry has concluded.

Mr Litvinenko died aged 43 in London in 2006, days after being poisoned with radioactive polonium-210, which he is believed to have drunk in a cup of tea.

Chairman Sir Robert Owen said it was likely Mr Putin signed off the killing following a long-running feud.

Mr Litvinenko's widow Marina said she was "very pleased" with the conclusion.

Speaking outside London's High Court, she said "the words my husband spoke on his deathbed when he accused Mr Putin have been proved by an English court".

Two Russian men, Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitry Kovtun, have been accused of his murder. They deny killing him.

Sir Robert said the two suspects were probably acting under the direction of Moscow's FSB intelligence service.

Singling out then-FSB chief Nikolai Patrushev, alongside Mr Putin, Sir Robert wrote in the 300 page report: "Taking full account of all the evidence and analysis available to me I find that the FSB operation to kill Litvinenko was probably approved by Mr Patrushev and also by President Putin."

In other news: Pope probably Catholic, bears probably prefer defecating in forest areas, and water is probably not, repeat: not dry.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

If he had said it was a certainty the Russians would have had an easier job discrediting the inquiry.  ;)  The most that could have been said is that he found it probable.

The Minsky Moment

Next can they figure out whether the Russians were backing the Ukrainian separatists?  I'm on pins and needles on that one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

QuoteMr Litvinenko died aged 43 in London in 2006, days after being poisoned with radioactive polonium-210, which he is believed to have drunk in a cup of tea.

Clearly, he said the wrong thing when asked what he'd like in it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

This stuff is more effective when everyone pretty much knows who did it. Otherwise, people wouldn't know who to be intimidated by.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2016, 04:08:04 PM
QuoteMr Litvinenko died aged 43 in London in 2006, days after being poisoned with radioactive polonium-210, which he is believed to have drunk in a cup of tea.

Clearly, he said the wrong thing when asked what he'd like in it.

"I said 'ice' not 'isotope'"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

A relatively cheap inquiry at just over £2m.

The BBC, for example, has spent about £10m on whether Jimmy Savile was a pervert or not (the answer? Yes, but we didn't notice).